55 replies to this topic

#41 Elektra Boogaloo

Mistress of All Agonies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:36 AM

Was I the only one who thought Scarlett Johansson was in SKY CAPTAIN? I guess I am confusing it with THE SPIRIT? But, like, who can tell the difference anyway?

#42 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:10 AM

View PostElektra Boogaloo, on 23 May 2018 - 09:36 AM, said:

Was I the only one who thought Scarlett Johansson was in SKY CAPTAIN? I guess I am confusing it with THE SPIRIT? But, like, who can tell the difference anyway?

No I legit thought she was in this movie the WHOLE time I ever knew about its existence.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#43 SlidePocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:59 AM

Chicago shows confirmed and they are:

June 2 - Rad and Blues Brothers 2000
June 3 - Striptease and The Hurricane Heist

Thanks to http://www.hdtgminfo.com

#44 MisterDrX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:02 PM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 18 May 2018 - 12:29 PM, said:

I'm really disappointed that my revelation that Lorenzo was IN Grease didn't make it in after yours.

I agree, I thought that was definitely the cherry on top of the theory. I thought for sure he was going to throw it in as a one-two punch..

#45 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:50 PM

View PostMisterDrX, on 23 May 2018 - 01:02 PM, said:

I agree, I thought that was definitely the cherry on top of the theory. I thought for sure he was going to throw it in as a one-two punch..

My guess is that I came in with that gem just too late and they had already gathered everything for him to read.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#46 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:14 AM

So I just finished Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and, while it's certainly not the greatest movie, is pretty dull, and was doomed for commercial failure from the start, I think I.... like it.

Posted Image

It gives me the same aesthetic pleasure as, say, watching Downton Abbey, where nothing bad is going to happen to the nice, well-meaning, well-dressed handsome people on screen as everyone is polite to everyone else. Except here, that aesthetic is faux-1930s serials rather than BBC period dramas.
"Warning: Detected synaptic seepage. Neural failure within 24 hours... Welcome to Newark."
- Johnny Mnemonic (1995)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#47 Smigg.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:28 AM

Tried watching this, found it hideously boring, so went right back to playing God of War.... BOY!!

#48 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:52 AM

View PostQuasar Sniffer, on 24 May 2018 - 12:14 AM, said:

It gives me the same aesthetic pleasure as, say, watching Downton Abbey, where nothing bad is going to happen to the nice, well-meaning, well-dressed handsome people on screen as everyone is polite to everyone else.

Hey they at least lost a daughter to the flu and Dan Stevens to a car crash so you can't say that nothing totally bad happens.

#49 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:11 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 24 May 2018 - 05:52 AM, said:

Hey they at least lost a daughter to the flu and Dan Stevens to a car crash so you can't say that nothing totally bad happens.

Oh, I know, I'm being a bit disingenuous. I was just trying to give another example of a TV show or a movie where watching it just sort of.... feels nice. Thinking about it now, Downtown Abbey is a bad example because it's just better executed in its chosen format. I should save this for the show thread, but Sky Captain is a story probably better told serialized... like a serial. Maybe even in a video game where you can craft actual characters with CGI and further engage the viewers/players by giving them a feeling of control over those stock characters.
"Warning: Detected synaptic seepage. Neural failure within 24 hours... Welcome to Newark."
- Johnny Mnemonic (1995)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#50 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:13 AM

View PostQuasar Sniffer, on 24 May 2018 - 06:11 AM, said:

Oh, I know, I'm being a bit disingenuous. I was just trying to give another example of a TV show or a movie where watching it just sort of.... feels nice. Thinking about it now, Downtown Abbey is a bad example because it's just better executed in its chosen format. I should save this for the show thread, but Sky Captain is a story probably better told serialized... like a serial. Maybe even in a video game where you can craft actual characters with CGI and further engage the viewers/players by giving them a feeling of control over those stock characters.

Oh I was just pulling your chain because lbr if those actors hadn't wanted to leave the show nothing bad would've ever happened to that family.

#51 sycasey 2.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:42 AM

View PostQuasar Sniffer, on 24 May 2018 - 12:14 AM, said:

So I just finished Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and, while it's certainly not the greatest movie, is pretty dull, and was doomed for commercial failure from the start, I think I.... like it.

It gives me the same aesthetic pleasure as, say, watching Downton Abbey, where nothing bad is going to happen to the nice, well-meaning, well-dressed handsome people on screen as everyone is polite to everyone else. Except here, that aesthetic is faux-1930s serials rather than BBC period dramas.

I watched it again last night (first time since theaters) and I largely agree. It's not great, but visually it's creative/interesting and as a narrative the worst you can say is that it's "stock" -- filled with cliched situations you've probably seen before. I definitely see why this didn't catch on, but I'm also not sure I'd call it a "bad" movie exactly. (Also, The Spirit was SO much worse than this.)

As for Downton Abbey, I'd say the early seasons (especially the first) had more going on than "nice BBC dress-up" but as it went along it pretty much became that.

#52 CakeBug Tranch

Loyal Tompkastaway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:00 AM

View Postsycasey 2.0, on 24 May 2018 - 06:42 AM, said:

I watched it again last night (first time since theaters) and I largely agree. It's not great, but visually it's creative/interesting and as a narrative the worst you can say is that it's "stock" -- filled with cliched situations you've probably seen before. I definitely see why this didn't catch on, but I'm also not sure I'd call it a "bad" movie exactly. (Also, The Spirit was SO much worse than this.)

I agree - it kind of grew on me over the course of the film. The dullness was pretty debilitating, but it was pretty beautiful to look at throughout. The final half hour turned me around on it.
Perkins: "What are you telling me this for? I was there, you idiot!" Exposition is hard, The Hurricane Heist

Vandergelder: "It takes a woman all powdered and pink to joyously clean out the drain in the sink!" I doubt this will work out the way you're hoping, Hello, Dolly!

HDTGM No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss; xXx: Return of Xander Cage; Body Parts; The Running Man

#53 The Triple Lindy

Google Dark Caster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationThornton Melon School of Business, Grand Lakes U

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:54 AM

View PostCakeBug Tranch, on 24 May 2018 - 07:00 AM, said:

I agree - it kind of grew on me over the course of the film. The dullness was pretty debilitating, but it was pretty beautiful to look at throughout. The final half hour turned me around on it.

It's mighty hard to get to that last half hour without falling asleep though. How is a movie with 40's style dog fight combat and giant killer robots with laserbeam eyes so boring?

#54 Ryan Sz

Technically a scientist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:14 PM

View PostSmigg., on 17 May 2018 - 11:52 PM, said:

Posted Image

That never gets old.

I am 15 minutes into this garbage fire of a film and I hate everything about it. This makes me appreciate even more the work that went into making Sin City appear like an old-school noir film with half the budget. I hate that somehow character faces are lit despite there being no possible way, like in Jude Law's office where he turns his lamp AWAY from his face towards Gwyneth Paltrow but then his face is even more lit up than before, or somehow how actor faces always have that single bar of light going across their eyes to make it seem like what someone would think an old radio serial would look like as a movie. Also, why did they think that the enemy planes needed to have flapping wings?
2018 DLM Challenge: 219 movies (189 new) https://letterboxd.c...vies-challenge/
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"Everyone is a fucking idiot in this movie!" - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#55 Ofcoursemyhorse

Source of all P.F.T'S Hat envy.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:44 PM

Cannot believe that this was well received when it first came out.

72% on Rotten Tomatoes is insanely high for this movie.

I would have been much more on board for this movie if Jude Law and Angelina Jolie as the mains. Gwyneth and Jude didn't have nearly enough chemistry to hold this movie up.

#56 Edded by dawn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:49 PM

They better mention that the villian is on screen for 10 seconds and the camera has not got its lens on