#41 The Triple Lindy

Google Dark Caster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationThornton Melon School of Business, Grand Lakes U

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:37 AM

View PostCam Bert, on 21 May 2018 - 07:39 AM, said:

As I was watching this movie I couldn't help think about how very 2001 it is. Like the casting was dead on. You have Brekin Meyer and Donald Faison from Clueless, Brekin Meyer and Paul Costanzo from Road Trip, Seth Green and Alexder Martin of Can't Hardly Wait, Rachel Leigh Cook from She's All That, and Tara Reid from American Pie. It's like they took a who's who of late 90s teen comedies and cast them all. Heck you could even argue Alan Cummings was in Spice World around that time as well. I found it very nostalgic.

Not to mention Parker Posey and Eugene Levy from all the Christopher Guest movies that had their heyday around that time (they even made fun Levy's odd turn-of-the-millennium fame). I only wish they could have found a bit part for Catherine O'Hara.

#42 The Triple Lindy

Google Dark Caster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationThornton Melon School of Business, Grand Lakes U

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:38 AM

Cameron H has turned this board into a Van's Warped Tour time capsule.

Posted Image

#43 PollyDarton

Lusty Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationHocksville, TN

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:41 AM

View PostSaraK, on 21 May 2018 - 07:42 AM, said:

When she turned 'evil' for like a scene, I really wished she had played a villain in some movie during that time. I believe (and I could be wrong) she was always the 'girl-next-door' type in her movies, but she clearly could have played darker. She's one of those actresses I always like but kind of forget about.

She played a FANTASTIC villain in one of my favorite movies of all time.
Posted Image

Edit: if you don't know this is from Dazed and Confused which is FUCKING awesome. Is this eligible for Musical Mondays??

Edit: Sorry SaraK - I misread your quote.

#44 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:41 AM

View PostThe Triple Lindy, on 21 May 2018 - 08:37 AM, said:

Not to mention Parker Posey and Eugene Levy from all the Christopher Guest movies that had their heyday around that time (they even made fun Levy's odd turn-of-the-millennium fame). I only wish they could have found a bit part for Catherine O'Hara.

My favorite Parker Posey role is in The House of Yes (1997). She was perfect as Jackie.
Mary Lane: (singing)"We are just like Romeo and Juliet. We're happy, young and <hacking cough> hemorrhaging blood."
-- Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (2005)

Offscreen critic: "What was that s**t with the window?"
-- La La Land (2016)

#45 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:49 AM

View PostPollyDarton, on 21 May 2018 - 08:41 AM, said:

Is this eligible for Musical Mondays??

No one sings in it so I am assuming no.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#46 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:50 AM

View PostThe Triple Lindy, on 21 May 2018 - 08:37 AM, said:

This reminds me that Eugene Levy being one of the most Canadian people being used to promote American consumerism before he says "God Bless America" is also a moment that still cracks me up.
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#47 CakeBug Tranch

Loyal Tompkastaway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:00 AM

Ah shit, it's a public holiday here in Canada so I have been doing family stuff all weekend and missed the start of the chat. I can completely understand both sides of the hated it/loved it fence. I remember liking it when it came out, and was happy to revisit this week, but found myself tuning out more than I expected. Three Small Words, shitty pop-punk or no, is still a song that gets my head nodding, all these years later.

I feel so old with Taylor saying she saw this at 11.

I also completely agree with CamB about the era-specific casting: the main one I point to is Paulo Costanzo, who is from Toronto and had a very large role in Road Trip, so much so that I thought he was on his way to being a big star, but then just wound up being such a niche guy that he was quickly annoying. He's done stuff since but I don't know if we'll see big things from him again.

I also agree with the notes on the OTT performances from Cumming and Posey: I'm just not sure whether this subject matter could have borne anything different, you know? Like, a movie about Josie and the Pussycats without any reference to the rest of the Archieverse (I assume that's a thing) can't stand on its own as a serious thing. It has to be ridiculous and overwrought.

And I'm not sure I agree that Josie is being positioned as being more talented than Du Jour, just more principled. Nowhere are they saying their music is better - they are literally signed and marketed before Cumming has even heard a note they've sung!
Perkins: "What are you telling me this for? I was there, you idiot!" Exposition is hard, The Hurricane Heist

Vandergelder: "It takes a woman all powdered and pink to joyously clean out the drain in the sink!" I doubt this will work out the way you're hoping, Hello, Dolly!

HDTGM No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss; xXx: Return of Xander Cage; Body Parts; The Running Man

#48 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:00 AM

View PostCameron H., on 21 May 2018 - 08:33 AM, said:

Josie definitely falls into the SR-71 group. It’s overly produced pap, that’s, at best, pretend edgy. Of course, that’s kind of perfect for this type of movie, but it’s also puts it out of reach of something I’m interested in.

Okay, but I don't think that Josie and the Pussycats are at all trying to pretend to be edgy. Their songs are all about love and having boyfriends that are too disinterested in the relationships they're currently in. I will give you that their sound is definitely more in the vibe of the last set of musicians that you mentioned, but I'll say again that in 2001 that's what we were at in terms of sound. In the story I'm not even really sure if we're supposed to consider them "edgy." The girl in the music store that is a "free thinker" is what I think we're supposed to consider edgy but J&TP seem just more like they like what they like and they write songs about what they know. I mean we see them all working like 3 jobs and volunteering at food banks and animal shelters. That's not exactly the punk life lol.

#49 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:04 AM

View PostCakeBug Tranch, on 21 May 2018 - 09:00 AM, said:

And I'm not sure I agree that Josie is being positioned as being more talented than Du Jour, just more principled. Nowhere are they saying their music is better - they are literally signed and marketed before Cumming has even heard a note they've sung!

I don't think any of us said talented, but rather genuine. It's a thing we see in real life all the time that bands that play their instruments are positioned in a better light overall than bands like N*SYNC or One Direction. They're accused of being nothing more than marketing ploys by studios, which may be true, but that shouldn't take away from the talent the singers actually have. Justin Timberlake nor Harry Styles would still have careers if they couldn't actually perform or write.

Also, I'm sorry about making you feel old lmao.

#50 PollyDarton

Lusty Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationHocksville, TN

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:04 AM

I'm with TTL on this... at what point does product placement stop being commentary and just become... product placement?
I mean - Val had the fucking Target Dog on her bed.

Posted Image
That's really specific current (to 2001) marketing for Target.

#51 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:05 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 21 May 2018 - 08:50 AM, said:

This reminds me that Eugene Levy being one of the most Canadian people being used to promote American consumerism before he says "God Bless America" is also a moment that still cracks me up.

This was my favorite moment in the movie and something I legitimately loved.

I also do think it was cool to see a music group composed of girls or women who actually wrote their own music. This was definitely an era where female musicians, at least in the larger pop culture landscape, were relegated to competing to be the next Brtiney Spears or Christina Aguilera, so we just had a flood of pre-fabricated teen sensations. Seeing the Pussycats do their own thing with their own music and have fun with it was definitely something the industry needed at the time, and still fun to see. Music should be fun and inspiring! We should enjoy making it, not just unwrapping it! YAY!
"Warning: Detected synaptic seepage. Neural failure within 24 hours... Welcome to Newark."
- Johnny Mnemonic (1995)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#52 SaraK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:05 AM

View PostPollyDarton, on 21 May 2018 - 08:41 AM, said:

She played a FANTASTIC villain in one of my favorite movies of all time.

I was referring to Rachel Leigh Cook, but I agree that Parker was an amazing villain there.

Also random casting trivia from Wikipedia but I read this and thought how crazy would those alternate Vals had been?? I like Rosario here, I think she was a good choice.

Beyoncé, Aaliyah and Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes auditioned for the role of Valerie Brown.[4][5] Elfont said that they wanted someone who knew how to do comedy, but Beyoncé was "quiet and shy" and Aaliyah was "serious and thoughtful".[5] Lisa was tested twice, but the unknown actress Rosario Dawson was chosen for her ironic spirit.[5]

#53 CakeBug Tranch

Loyal Tompkastaway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:11 AM

View PostSaraK, on 21 May 2018 - 09:05 AM, said:

Also random casting trivia from Wikipedia but I read this and thought how crazy would those alternate Vals had been?? I like Rosario here, I think she was a good choice.

I agree that stunt-casting might have been fun, but Rosario nailed what little she was given. It would have been a completely different movie (maybe for the better?) with Left Eye in there. How would that have matched up with all the silliness?
Perkins: "What are you telling me this for? I was there, you idiot!" Exposition is hard, The Hurricane Heist

Vandergelder: "It takes a woman all powdered and pink to joyously clean out the drain in the sink!" I doubt this will work out the way you're hoping, Hello, Dolly!

HDTGM No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss; xXx: Return of Xander Cage; Body Parts; The Running Man

#54 Cameron H.

Jabber-whoppin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,076 posts
  • LocationWerewolf Warehouse

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:15 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 21 May 2018 - 09:00 AM, said:

Okay, but I don't think that Josie and the Pussycats are at all trying to pretend to be edgy. Their songs are all about love and having boyfriends that are too disinterested in the relationships they're currently in. I will give you that their sound is definitely more in the vibe of the last set of musicians that you mentioned, but I'll say again that in 2001 that's what we were at in terms of sound. In the story I'm not even really sure if we're supposed to consider them "edgy." The girl in the music store that is a "free thinker" is what I think we're supposed to consider edgy but J&TP seem just more like they like what they like and they write songs about what they know. I mean we see them all working like 3 jobs and volunteering at food banks and animal shelters. That's not exactly the punk life lol.

Maybe “edgy” was the wrong word. Maybe “more polished” or “glossy.”

All of the songs I posted (save maybe “Basket Case”) are all about the the same things you’re saying Josie is singing about. I think there’s a difference between trying to write a good song and a “hit” song though. The minute she sings that she’s a “punk rock beauty queen” or whatever, it sets my teeth on edge.

Also, I know you’re joking, but volunteering at a soup kitchen, working hard, etc. can absolutely still be punk rock. I was in a punk band and played for my church’s praise band. Punk, for me, is just expressing yourself honestly and accepting people for their differences.

Chilly: I'm telling you, man, if we had management, we'd be riding around in limousines, wearing leather pants, and buying condos. Can I eat this roast beef?
Body Rock (1984)

Seb: Maybe you just liked me when I was on my ass 'cause it made you feel better about yourself.
La La Land (2016)

#55 PollyDarton

Lusty Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationHocksville, TN

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:16 AM

This movie acted like fashion trends are based solely around monochromatic color schemes - They didn't talked about their wide leg jeans, platform flipflops, backless tanktops, or elastic waste disco pants. No, they were like "blue... blue is in now... Blue is the new Pink (or whatever.)

Related or not - here is an add for Target where everything - EVERYTHING - is orange:

And here's one where everything is Blue:

Posted Image

#56 PollyDarton

Lusty Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationHocksville, TN

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:17 AM

View PostSaraK, on 21 May 2018 - 09:05 AM, said:

I was referring to Rachel Leigh Cook, but I agree that Parker was an amazing villain there.

Sorry! I read it too fast.
It would have been cool to see Rachael Leigh Cook do more Villain roles. She just comes across as so sweet. I think that's why the "This is your brain on drugs" PSA was so disarming.

#57 Cameron H.

Jabber-whoppin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,076 posts
  • LocationWerewolf Warehouse

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:31 AM

View PostCakeBug Tranch, on 21 May 2018 - 09:11 AM, said:

I agree that stunt-casting might have been fun, but Rosario nailed what little she was given. It would have been a completely different movie (maybe for the better?) with Left Eye in there. How would that have matched up with all the silliness?

See, for me, Rosario and Rachel were too similar. At least Tara was the silly, hippie. What sets Josie and Val apart?

I don’t know, I think I would have just liked to see everyone have more fun. Like, even if you’re not successful, being in a band should be fun. I would have loved to see them rock out at the bowling alley instead of watching them complain about how no one was watching and how little they got paid. They seem more focused on being famous than on the music, and then when they actually do become famous, they don’t really enjoy that either.
Chilly: I'm telling you, man, if we had management, we'd be riding around in limousines, wearing leather pants, and buying condos. Can I eat this roast beef?
Body Rock (1984)

Seb: Maybe you just liked me when I was on my ass 'cause it made you feel better about yourself.
La La Land (2016)

#58 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:34 AM

View PostCameron H., on 21 May 2018 - 09:15 AM, said:

Maybe “edgy” was the wrong word. Maybe “more polished” or “glossy.”

All of the songs I posted (save maybe “Basket Case”) are all about the the same things you’re saying Josie is singing about. I think there’s a difference between trying to write a good song and a “hit” song though. The minute she sings that she’s a “punk rock beauty queen” or whatever, it sets my teeth on edge.

Also, I know you’re joking, but volunteering at a soup kitchen, working hard, etc. can absolutely still be punk rock. I was in a punk band and played for my church’s praise band. Punk, for me, is just expressing yourself honestly and accepting people for their differences.

Punk Rock Prom Queen. Gosh Cameron at least get it right :P

But yes I understand what you mean, but I'll even throw out a band I loved back then called Something Corporate that wrote a song called "Punk Rock Princess" that is along this same genre that pisses off a lot of people who consider themselves "true punk." Which is why I threw out that last statement. Yes, half in jest because I also think the punk vibe is doing what you want rather than what society dictates, but when you talk to people from the 70s, 80s, and 90s, that were in the punk scene they look at things like that and they sneer. Even still I'll hear shit about what a punk can and can't do. So while you and I may think this could be considered a punk life, the punk scene would say otherwise, which is why then this all gets classified as pop-punk because these people just don't have that grit. That's what I meant by that.

#59 sycasey 2.0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:53 AM

View PostCameron H., on 21 May 2018 - 09:15 AM, said:

My experience is that there seems to be a pretty wide disagreement among punk rockers as to what is actually "punk."

#60 Cinco DeNio

The Mark of the group

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationDelawhere?

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:06 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 21 May 2018 - 09:34 AM, said:

Punk Rock Prom Queen. Gosh Cameron at least get it right :P

But yes I understand what you mean, but I'll even throw out a band I loved back then called Something Corporate that wrote a song called "Punk Rock Princess" that is along this same genre that pisses off a lot of people who consider themselves "true punk." Which is why I threw out that last statement. Yes, half in jest because I also think the punk vibe is doing what you want rather than what society dictates, but when you talk to people from the 70s, 80s, and 90s, that were in the punk scene they look at things like that and they sneer. Even still I'll hear shit about what a punk can and can't do. So while you and I may think this could be considered a punk life, the punk scene would say otherwise, which is why then this all gets classified as pop-punk because these people just don't have that grit. That's what I meant by that.

The guy on the right got the "Buy Orange" message.
Mary Lane: (singing)"We are just like Romeo and Juliet. We're happy, young and <hacking cough> hemorrhaging blood."
-- Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (2005)

Offscreen critic: "What was that s**t with the window?"
-- La La Land (2016)