๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
Cam Bert

Musical Mondays Week 40 Preview (CakeBug Tranch's 3rd Pick)

Another week means another Monday and that means it is time for CakeBug to step up to the plate and give us his third selection for Musical Monday! What will it be? What will he pick?

ย 

ย 

Jim-jim-sturgess-28217146-500-281.gif

• Like 5

I HAD my pick all lined up, but seeing that Jim Sturgess gif now has me in two minds... do I pick what I was going to pick, a crowd-pleaser that we will all have plenty to talk about, or do I go with Across the Universe again?

ย 

I'll have to ponder it. Thanks for the reminder, CamB!

• Like 5

I HAD my pick all lined up, but seeing that Jim Sturgess gif now has me in two minds... do I pick what I was going to pick, a crowd-pleaser that we will all have plenty to talk about, or do I go with Across the Universe again?

ย 

I'll have to ponder it. Thanks for the reminder, CamB!

giphy.gif

• Like 9

If you want a Beatles related movie that will be a sure fire crowd pleaser like Across The Universe, have you considered Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band????

ย 

• Like 5

If you want a Beatles related movie that will be a sure fire crowd pleaser like Across The Universe, have you considered Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band????

Serious food for thought. I mean, a movie with a scene like this is surely worthy of some kind of consideration, right? Better than baked beans...

ย 

(No, this isn't my pick yet)

• Like 6

Very sorry about the delay everyone - I had forgotten it was a holiday in the States so was slightly puzzled by how quiet the thread was, and then by the time I got around to thinking about posting again, both my kids were sent home from school with stomach bugs. So, that's what I have to deal with tonight. But enough of that! Time for my pick!

ย 

I have been thinking a lot about my pick, and had settled on a good shortlist that could have worked in a lot of different ways. One was a couple of beloved concept albums that don't exactly fit to the structure of the discussion (more concerty than performy) and I'm happy to pass on recommendations to anyone who would like them.

ย 

THEN, I moved on to consider two of my favorite movies of all time, but ultimately shied away because I couldn't quite bear to hear anyone say anything negative about them. (I'm purposely not naming these films in case others pick them in future)

ย 

I also considered a relatively recent film adaptation of a small musical that I've always loved, but I haven't seen it before. Ultimately, I talked it over with my wife and laid out my candidates, and she immediately made her pick based on what she wanted to see.

ย 

So, I've made my pick of a movie that we discussed way back before week 1 of Musical Mondays, a couple years ago. At the time, people were asking if we could pick movies that were still in cinemas. And then no one picked it. A few people have pretended to pick it, but then didn't. We've all seen it before, but I want to watch it again (for the first time since the cinema). According to Letterboxd, everyone liked it except Grudlian. And I don't mind this one getting nitpicked at. Guessed what it is yet? Yeah, you know it. We're watching...

ย 

ย 

og.jpg

ย 

• Like 11

Great pick! Iโ€™ve only seen this one and loved it, but almost immediately, I started having my doubts. It will be cool to watch it again and see how it holds up under scrutiny.

ย 

P.S. Sorry your kids are sick. Mine are too - cough and boogers. Just in time to get us all sick for our vacation :(

• Like 7

I have such a mixed bag of conflicted feelings about this movie and will finally be able to get them off my chest.

• Like 7

Since I'm getting called out, I admit I didn't care much for this when I saw it. I'm not sure if I just wasn't in the mood or what. I was very excited about this all year it all fell flat on me.

ย 

I'm interested to see it again because this movie should be right up my alley (despite being a musical). So, now I'll finally have the motivation to watch it a second time.

• Like 4

Since I'm getting called out, I admit I didn't care much for this when I saw it. I'm not sure if I just wasn't in the mood or what. I was very excited about this all year it all fell flat on me.

ย 

I'm interested to see it again because this movie should be right up my alley (despite being a musical). So, now I'll finally have the motivation to watch it a second time.

Wasn't exactly trying to call you out, but I checked letterboxd and was interested to see your low rating - which I thought was a good thing for discussion's sake. I respect your opinion and take on things so was keen to have a less than glowing perspective (since there were lots of 4-5 star reviews from the rest of us!).

ย 

Glad the pick is landing well! Looking forward to the discussion!

• Like 4

I saw this in the theaters last year as part of a Best Picture festival. Didn't like it at first but knew I would be in the minority. Bought the Blu-Ray/DVD/digital package for $8.99 on Black Friday knowing someone would pick it. Thanks! (It will also be interesting to compare/contrast with The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. Supposedly La La Land has a big sequence inspired by Umbrellas but I can't recall it right now.)

• Like 3

ohhhh this might be the pick to get me back on (I know I've said this before don't hate me life just got busy for me)

• Like 6

Great pic! This is a movie that I like and is good! Is it the best movie ever? No. It's greatness it certainly up for debate. But I really got my feathers ruffled when the backlash against this movie happened around the time of the Oscars. It's charming and fun, and not self-righteous in a way that other "greatness thrust upon them" films can be (see Crash). It's so easily watchable. Not deep, but even if it spends all it's time in the shallow end of the Film Pool, it's a beautiful, relaxing time.

• Like 5

I remember that we all were like, "Yeah, that's totally gonna get picked as soon as it's on Amazon" when we started this game, and it's a bit surprising that it's taken us this long to get to it. But also, like, I know I've cooled on it quite a bit since it came out (although I still really, really, really like it). I'm really excited to get to watch it and talk about it again, though, because even if the things that irk me about it have only gotten more tiresome, probably nothing will ever diminish my love for "Another Day of Sun."

• Like 5

I remember that we all were like, "Yeah, that's totally gonna get picked as soon as it's on Amazon" when we started this game, and it's a bit surprising that it's taken us this long to get to it. But also, like, I know I've cooled on it quite a bit since it came out (although I still really, really, really like it). I'm really excited to get to watch it and talk about it again, though, because even if the things that irk me about it have only gotten more tiresome, probably nothing will ever diminish my love for "Another Day of Sun."

Agree wholeheartedly. That's an amazing musical number.

• Like 3

Nice! Been wondering when we'd do this one.

ย 

I loved when I first saw, but after reflecting I do understand a lot of the criticisms people had around Oscar season last year.

I am curious to revisit and see if it holds up with a second viewing.

• Like 4

I have a question unrelated to this week's pick.

ย 

I found out Roger Daltrey is touring and performing Tommy. He's coming to Philadelphia in a couple weeks. I've never listened to the original record. Is it weird to hear a "rock opera" with various characters but all performed by the same one or two singers? It seems like I would have trouble distinguishing whoever is supposed to be speaking at the time. "You Never Heard It" would be one example.

• Like 3

I have a question unrelated to this week's pick.

ย 

I found out Roger Daltrey is touring and performing Tommy. He's coming to Philadelphia in a couple weeks. I've never listened to the original record. Is it weird to hear a "rock opera" with various characters but all performed by the same one or two singers? It seems like I would have trouble distinguishing whoever is supposed to be speaking at the time. "You Never Heard It" would be one example.

A very good question. Does Daltrey really perform 'Fiddle About' in concert? I can't imagine how that would go over.

• Like 4

• Like 5