🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 40 La La Land

For example, while Mia is working her ass off on this show and taking his advice, he just kinda blows off the hard work she's putting into it by asking her, "Can't you just rehearse anywhere?" So even with him he didn't truly understand the weight of his own statement when he gave her this idea. To him, acting and writing appeared easy. If she was getting so rejected just stop doing that and do this other thing cause it's easy, right? But no, it's not, and Mia put everything into that show.

Yeah, but he's not wrong about 'can't you rehearse anywhere'. It's a one-woman show she's directing herself in, and she's not using the theatre space yet. Arguably she could go and rehabilitate her relationship in Idaho and work on her lines in the hotel room. And I say this as a long-time theatre professional, so this does not come from a place of disrespecting the art. I get that she's close to opening but it's not as though she had to work on her wirework or firebreathing. He was blunt, but she shot down his bid without discussion. He's come home unexpectedly, which surely must have taken a great effort, and sprung this idea of her coming on tour too, so her reaction was pretty shitty.

This is the other reason I don't see the real connection between this film and 'The Last Five Years' - in this film, Mia NEVER has an acting job. Not one until Paris. There's no montage of her being in shitty commercials, or working background, or being on a pilot that got canned. If he was saying 'hey, rehearse in my hotel room' and she was at Groundlings or UCB or training (SHE ALSO NEVER TRAINS - GET SOME CLASSES AND MAYBE YOU'LL WORK MORE), then she might have a point. But literally the first time she ever acts is when Seb suggests she makes her own work, and then she's surprised no one comes. I know we've been spending a lot of time on how shitty Seb is, but Mia isn't doing herself any favors. At least in 'L5Y' Cathy is slogging it out auditioning but is also doing Summer Stock in Ohio, which at least tells me that she is talented enough to make it if she keeps pushing. We never see that from Mia so I find her success cheaply earned.

• Like 4

It's almost like he's super selfish and not really a supportive partner or something...

But he just came home from tour just to surprise her and to suggest she comes with him! Surely she doesn't think that this is sustainable with her being unemployed in LA and waiting for the phone to ring? I don't buy this at all.

• Like 2

Yeah, but he's not wrong about 'can't you rehearse anywhere'. It's a one-woman show she's directing herself in, and she's not using the theatre space yet. Arguably she could go and rehabilitate her relationship in Idaho and work on her lines in the hotel room. And I say this as a long-time theatre professional, so this does not come from a place of disrespecting the art. I get that she's close to opening but it's not as though she had to work on her wirework or firebreathing. He was blunt, but she shot down his bid without discussion. He's come home unexpectedly, which surely must have taken a great effort, and sprung this idea of her coming on tour too, so her reaction was pretty shitty.

This is the other reason I don't see the real connection between this film and 'The Last Five Years' - in this film, Mia NEVER has an acting job. Not one until Paris. There's no montage of her being in shitty commercials, or working background, or being on a pilot that got canned. If he was saying 'hey, rehearse in my hotel room' and she was at Groundlings or UCB or training (SHE ALSO NEVER TRAINS - GET SOME CLASSES AND MAYBE YOU'LL WORK MORE), then she might have a point. But literally the first time she ever acts is when Seb suggests she makes her own work, and then she's surprised no one comes. I know we've been spending a lot of time on how shitty Seb is, but Mia isn't doing herself any favors. At least in 'L5Y' Cathy is slogging it out auditioning but is also doing Summer Stock in Ohio, which at least tells me that she is talented enough to make it if she keeps pushing. We never see that from Mia so I find her success cheaply earned.

Personally, I just don't think that's necessarily fair to her. Yeah it may be something where she can rehearse lines, but it's not just that for herself. The show was opening in two weeks and she very clearly was feeling the stress of the entire thing. She'd need to set up the stage, spread the word, and make sure the lines and blocking were ready. So if she felt like she needed to be in LA for that then that's completely her decision because it's what she needed to get this show together.

I think that's more a failing of this movie than really anything we can surmise about Mia. She said she had been doing this LA thing for 6 years and so we have no actual idea what training she had or if she had taken any classes or even landed any bit parts on anything to get some cash because those things weren't relevant to the story that Damien wanted to tell.

• Like 4

But he just came home from tour just to surprise her and to suggest she comes with him! Surely she doesn't think that this is sustainable with her being unemployed in LA and waiting for the phone to ring? I don't buy this at all.

Yeah, but he's not like, "Hey, when your show is over, wanna join me on the tour for a bit?" He's asking her to abandon the thing that she's working on (and that he told her to make) to come be with him. I don't see that as very supportive.

• Like 2

I think that's more a failing of this movie than really anything we can surmise about Mia. She said she had been doing this LA thing for 6 years and so we have no actual idea what training she had or if she had taken any classes or even landed any bit parts on anything to get some cash because those things weren't relevant to the story that Damien wanted to tell.

But I think if she'd been working, we'd know about it. There is no mention of small roles or opportunities, we never see her in classes or at the gym, we see this fantasy version of life where you can just prettily swan around LA and eventually you'll get to be a superstar in Paris. The reality of the grind isn't part of the story he wanted to tell because it's inconvenient and ugly. She has a barista's job but lives in a huge apartment, drives a Prius, doesn't seem to come from wealth... She might get rejected a bunch, but nearly all of her audition bits are terrible (the only good one she does is the one that gets interrupted by the assistant). I just never get the feeling she's earned her stardom. She's fallen backwards into success and acts like she's entitled to it the entire time. Six years of not getting cast? I can hear a legion of hard-working people in LA saying 'boo-hoo' in chorus.

• Like 2

Yeah, but he's not like, "Hey, when your show is over, wanna join me on the tour for a bit?" He's asking her to abandon the thing that she's working on (and that he told her to make) to come be with him. I don't see that as very supportive.

No, he doesn't say 'blow it off', he says 'you can do that there', which she could. Taylor's right about all the legwork she'd need to do in the run-up, and i already said he didn't phrase it correctly, but I don't waver from my conviction that his intentions were good.

• Like 3

No, he doesn't say 'blow it off', he says 'you can do that there', which she could. Taylor's right about all the legwork she'd need to do in the run-up, and i already said he didn't phrase it correctly, but I don't waver from my conviction that his intentions were good.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions :P

Not but seriously, of course she would have known that he wanted her to be around because he loved her, but any way he could have worded that it would've probably gotten the same result, because the timing just wasn't right for them. They were both neck deep in something they didn't believe they could break away from and that can cause some lack of proper communication in any relationship. They were both simultaneously right and wrong, and to me it does really highlight the fact that they were never destined to work out together.

• Like 6

But I think if she'd been working, we'd know about it. There is no mention of small roles or opportunities, we never see her in classes or at the gym, we see this fantasy version of life where you can just prettily swan around LA and eventually you'll get to be a superstar in Paris. The reality of the grind isn't part of the story he wanted to tell because it's inconvenient and ugly. She has a barista's job but lives in a huge apartment, drives a Prius, doesn't seem to come from wealth... She might get rejected a bunch, but nearly all of her audition bits are terrible (the only good one she does is the one that gets interrupted by the assistant). I just never get the feeling she's earned her stardom. She's fallen backwards into success and acts like she's entitled to it the entire time. Six years of not getting cast? I can hear a legion of hard-working people in LA saying 'boo-hoo' in chorus.

Ding ding ding! This whole thing is a fantasy version of LA.

That's what I meant by not relevant to the story that Damien wanted to tell. He wanted to tell this hyper-realistic fantasy version of the city these people all were dying to be in. I mean I know like you said we're all giving this movie the "HDTGM" treatment by nitpicking, but I believe that's because it's SO close to what we know to be true that so many things just seem completely unbelievable and we forget that this really is based on a dream version of the town.

I mean one of my favorite criticisms were from all of the comedians I love that live in LA that couldn't get passed the first musical sequence because they were so pissed off about how much traffic dancing in the street causes. They couldn't separate themselves from their own LA life to accept that this was a damn musical lol.

• Like 9

What would have happened if Mia's aunt had lived in, like, Greece or something?

• Like 2

What would have happened if Mia's aunt had lived in, like, Greece or something?

What rhymes with the Acropolis?

• Like 8

Ding ding ding! This whole thing is a fantasy version of LA.

That's what I meant by not relevant to the story that Damien wanted to tell. He wanted to tell this hyper-realistic fantasy version of the city these people all were dying to be in. I mean I know like you said we're all giving this movie the "HDTGM" treatment by nitpicking, but I believe that's because it's SO close to what we know to be true that so many things just seem completely unbelievable and we forget that this really is based on a dream version of the town.

I mean one of my favorite criticisms were from all of the comedians I love that live in LA that couldn't get passed the first musical sequence because they were so pissed off about how much traffic dancing in the street causes. They couldn't separate themselves from their own LA life to accept that this was a damn musical lol.

Its interesting that personally, I'm willing to suspend belief for musical numbers and a little magical realism in a dance. But the journey as a whole to become a successful actress and/or own a club I couldn't lend a little magic to, even though they're all part of the same fantastical story.

• Like 4

The road to hell is paved with good intentions :P

Not but seriously, of course she would have known that he wanted her to be around because he loved her, but any way he could have worded that it would've probably gotten the same result, because the timing just wasn't right for them. They were both neck deep in something they didn't believe they could break away from and that can cause some lack of proper communication in any relationship. They were both simultaneously right and wrong, and to me it does really highlight the fact that they were never destined to work out together.

Or, maybe Seb's request that she comes on the road with him was a cry for help? He tells her this could all take months or years, but he doesn't seem thrilled about it. Maybe John Legend's fiancee is on tour with them and Seb is thinking "hey, maybe that would stop me feeling so empty all these weeks on the road..."

And Mia calls Seb right before the ill-fated dinner party saying 'I don't know what city you're in now... Boston?'. If his schedule is that he's supposed to be all the way at the other end of the country, what happened to allow him to bust all the way back to LA for a single dinner before heading to Idaho? I can't get past the fact that he's made a huge effort (likely at considerable cost, maybe he missed a show, maybe he got an unscheduled day off and the only person he wanted to see was Mia, so he spent more time on an airplane to get to her than he would have with her in person), and one poorly placed question makes him the bad guy? That's just not fair.

• Like 4

Its interesting that personally, I'm willing to suspend belief for musical numbers and a little magical realism in a dance. But the journey as a whole to become a successful actress and/or own a club I couldn't lend a little magic to, even though they're all part of the same fantastical story.

Yeah, I would have been much happier at the end if she wasn't this superstar, but was a modestly rising actress, finally living her dream. This gives us an all-or-nothing take, in an unfeasibly short window. And on what date with Mia and Seb lose touch? Is there no Facebook in this fantasy world? How could she not know he's started his club unless they are no longer on speaking terms (even though the last thing we hear them say is that they will always love each other)?

• Like 5

Yeah, I would have been much happier at the end if she wasn't this superstar, but was a modestly rising actress, finally living her dream. This gives us an all-or-nothing take, in an unfeasibly short window. And on what date with Mia and Seb lose touch? Is there no Facebook in this fantasy world? How could she not know he's started his club unless they are no longer on speaking terms (even though the last thing we hear them say is that they will always love each other)?

I feel like Seb is the type of guy to not be on any social media, even with promoting his club.

• Like 6

Or, maybe Seb's request that she comes on the road with him was a cry for help? He tells her this could all take months or years, but he doesn't seem thrilled about it. Maybe John Legend's fiancee is on tour with them and Seb is thinking "hey, maybe that would stop me feeling so empty all these weeks on the road..."

And Mia calls Seb right before the ill-fated dinner party saying 'I don't know what city you're in now... Boston?'. If his schedule is that he's supposed to be all the way at the other end of the country, what happened to allow him to bust all the way back to LA for a single dinner before heading to Idaho? I can't get past the fact that he's made a huge effort (likely at considerable cost, maybe he missed a show, maybe he got an unscheduled day off and the only person he wanted to see was Mia, so he spent more time on an airplane to get to her than he would have with her in person), and one poorly placed question makes him the bad guy? That's just not fair.

But again, it's not fair to her either. She asked him a question about how long this whole band thing was going to last (because she knew it wasn't what he wanted to do) and suddenly he starts accusing her of stuff. I can't remember what it was he exactly said but I do remember how defensive he got about it all when she was truly just trying to figure out what their future would look like, and from the pure look of the whole conversation it seemed like she was asking for the exact same reasons he was.

• Like 3

I feel like Seb is the type of guy to not be on any social media, even with promoting his club.

Also I highly doubt she would be either. I'm honestly not sure if Emma herself is on any social media.

Also I highly doubt she would be either. I'm honestly not sure if Emma herself is on any social media.

Still doesn't quite answer how they went from 'I will always love you' to 'oh right, that guy I used to know years ago'. They left on cordial terms, it seems astonishing to me that they wouldn't stay in touch. Maybe an email saying 'congrats on your new movie role, I thought you'd be happy to hear I finally opened my club, and by the way I will be using your intellectual property for my logo'?

• Like 6

Still doesn't quite answer how they went from 'I will always love you' to 'oh right, that guy I used to know years ago'. They left on cordial terms, it seems astonishing to me that they wouldn't stay in touch. Maybe an email saying 'congrats on your new movie role, I thought you'd be happy to hear I finally opened my club, and by the way I will be using your intellectual property for my logo'?

Maybe he thinks loving her forever is the same as royalties.

• Like 6

This is also why the five years thing is way too short. I don't think you can disconnect that much in five years, maybe it would be better if they had pushed it to ten years?

• Like 5

This is also why the five years thing is way too short. I don't think you can disconnect that much in five years, maybe it would be better if they had pushed it to ten years?

Idk I lost touch with someone in these last 5 years since graduating from college that I genuinely thought I would be close with forever. Someone I legit had that idea of "I'm never going to get over this person" and then before I knew it years had gone by and we never really talked. I mean part of it was that I found myself having to separate emotionally because it was no longer healthy for me to hold on to someone like that, and I'm wondering if Mia found herself in the same position. It could have started off with them corresponding for a while until she met Shades and she had this realization that things with Seb were never going to become what she may have wanted so she had to cut herself off from him. If they weren't going to try for a long distance relationship then I could very believably see themselves accepting that they can't hold onto each other (or at least Mia).

• Like 3

There is an ex from about five years ago that I'm pretty sure doesn't know I moved to a new house and got a totally different job. And we worked together a year after we broke up (life pro tip: don't date your coworkers). Some of that is I rejected her friend requests on Facebook making it harder to see what each other is doing.

Granted, neither of us are living our dreams (or, I'm definitely not anyway). If my ex became a world famous Parisian film star, I probably would have heard of it I suppose.

• Like 2

What rhymes with the Acropolis?

She would found unheralded 1980s Metal bands?

Sorry, "Necropolis" was the first word that I thought of when I read your post and this song is a real ear worm for me.

I keep contributing nonsense jokes to these fascinating discussions. My apologies.

• Like 5

Granted, neither of us are living our dreams (or, I'm definitely not anyway). If my ex became a world famous Parisian film star, I probably would have heard of it I suppose.

I think Seb knew about her life. He walked right past a billboard with her face on it so it would definitely be harder for him to ignore her than the other way around.

But in my opinion it's entirely plausible that Mia didn't hear about this random jazz club opening up in LA. Especially since she made it seem like they weren't there all the time anymore cause when they hit traffic she said, "I definitely didn't miss this."

• Like 5

Idk I lost touch with someone in these last 5 years since graduating from college that I genuinely thought I would be close with forever. Someone I legit had that idea of "I'm never going to get over this person" and then before I knew it years had gone by and we never really talked. I mean part of it was that I found myself having to separate emotionally because it was no longer healthy for me to hold on to someone like that, and I'm wondering if Mia found herself in the same position. It could have started off with them corresponding for a while until she met Shades and she had this realization that things with Seb were never going to become what she may have wanted so she had to cut herself off from him. If they weren't going to try for a long distance relationship then I could very believably see themselves accepting that they can't hold onto each other (or at least Mia).

I agree. I think Mia went on to have a very different type of relationship with Shades, one that could support a family both financially and emotionally. That must have been such a divergent experience from her relationship with Seb that I could definitely see her needing to live a new life, not just in Paris, but in her human contacts.

• Like 3

I should say, its not just the loss of contact that I felt like five years was too short for. It was everything that apparently happened in five years. I know there aren't a ton of things happening really, but her wildly successful career and his club, combined with her new relationship and child and losing contact with Seb, I just feel like five years wasn't a ton of time for all of that to happen.

But then again, weirder things have happened. My friend had three kids in five years, so I mean a lot can happen in five years. It just sounds short.

• Like 4