Swing Time

47 replies to this topic

#41 Susan*

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:54 PM

When I was a kid, I was such a huge fan of F&G. Then once in a while they would run a color movie musical where Fred appeared without Ginger and I'd be devastated. I watched so many old movies on TV when I was little. I didn't have great taste but I had very strong opinions. Local TV would run things in a series too, sometimes loosely related. But some weeks would be Elvis weeks or Frankie and Annette beach movies. So it was good news when it was F&G or Marx Bros week.

#42 Cameron H.

Jabber-whoppin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts
  • LocationWerewolf Warehouse

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:01 AM

AFI Movies Currently On-sale on iTunes (in HD)!

Some Like it Hot - 7.99 (Totally worth it, btw)
Sullivan's Travels - 4.99 (I just bought it!)
Apocalypse Now - 7.99 (The horror...)

And, from the 1998 list, The Third Man continues to be 7.99 (which I bought based on all of your recommendations :) )
Chilly: I'm telling you, man, if we had management, we'd be riding around in limousines, wearing leather pants, and buying condos. Can I eat this roast beef?
Body Rock (1984)

Seb: Maybe you just liked me when I was on my ass 'cause it made you feel better about yourself.
La La Land (2016)

#43 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:45 PM

View PostCameron H., on 13 June 2018 - 06:01 AM, said:

AFI Movies Currently On-sale on iTunes (in HD)!

Some Like it Hot - 7.99 (Totally worth it, btw)
Sullivan's Travels - 4.99 (I just bought it!)
Apocalypse Now - 7.99 (The horror...)

And, from the 1998 list, The Third Man continues to be 7.99 (which I bought based on all of your recommendations :)/> )

I might be the only person who wasn’t delighted by Some Like it Hot. >__<

#44 Cameron H.

Jabber-whoppin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts
  • LocationWerewolf Warehouse

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:58 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 13 June 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

Really? Is it Tony Curtis? If so, I get it. However, I will not sit idly by and let you besmirch Jack Lemmon.
Chilly: I'm telling you, man, if we had management, we'd be riding around in limousines, wearing leather pants, and buying condos. Can I eat this roast beef?
Body Rock (1984)

Seb: Maybe you just liked me when I was on my ass 'cause it made you feel better about yourself.
La La Land (2016)

#45 Susan*

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:59 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 13 June 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

I find it a bit heartbreaking to watch Marilyn in that, but I have a soft spot for the movie.

I didn't care for Sullivan's Travels but I'm willing to try again because maybe I was too young when I saw it.

#46 grudlian.

Debbie Downer Award Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:22 AM

Susan*, on 13 June 2018 - 06:59 PM, said:

I find it a bit heartbreaking to watch Marilyn in that, but I have a soft spot for the movie.

I didn't care for Sullivan's Travels but I'm willing to try again because maybe I was too young when I saw it.

I remember Sullivan's Travels, and all the Preston Sturges movies I've seen being well made but not charming me the way I think they intend to. I've run into this problem with, I think, just about every romantic comedy pre-1950s save His Girl Friday. So, I think that's just a personal thing.

#47 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 15 June 2018 - 06:14 AM

Cameron H., on 13 June 2018 - 05:58 PM, said:

Really? Is it Tony Curtis? If so, I get it. However, I will not sit idly by and let you besmirch Jack Lemmon.

Tony Curtis nearly ruins the movie for me, but Jack Lemmon is so delightful he outweighs that.
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#48 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:55 AM

View PostCam Bert, on 15 June 2018 - 06:14 AM, said:

Tony Curtis nearly ruins the movie for me, but Jack Lemmon is so delightful he outweighs that.

I loved Tony Curtis in it when I first saw it and then I saw his disparaging remarks towards Marilyn during their press tours and that soured me from him in general. I get that she was in the midst of her personal struggles and it was affecting others' work but at least have a bit of empathy and don't compare kissing her to kissing Hitler...
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch