117 replies to this topic

#21 gigitastic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:38 AM

taylor anne photo, on 08 June 2018 - 08:37 AM, said:

I'm going to make a grand statement and say that it is very attractive to me that Jason knows this much about Harry Potter. The true ideal amount of HP knowledge.

I fully agree. Super sexy and the fact that he has come around to the Huflepuff love... I'm here for it

#22 gigitastic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:39 AM

The Triple Lindy, on 08 June 2018 - 08:22 AM, said:

Guys, the storm is sentient -- that's a given. Fine, I accept it.

But why is the storm benevolent? Sure, the storm kills Will and Breeze's pa, but at the climax, we see Will and the Stormface make eye contact, and then Connor dies and Will, Breeze, and Maggie Grace get away.

Are we assuming that the storm recognizes Will, feels remorse for having killed his father 20 years ago, and then decided to help him out? Usually, the standard line is "The unstoppable killing force has returned to finish the job!"

Actually, the storm is pretty clearly on Will and Breeze's side the whole way through, long before Will and Stormface have their meet-cute at the end, so the storm seems to be more than sentient -- it's more like omniscient.

And of course, Will squarely blames climate change for all of the movie's crazy weather. So climate change has created god-storms. WHY DIDN'T YOU WARN US, AL GORE?!?

Does this mean the Storm can be reasoned with? if they gave it a proper offering could it have spared this town?

#23 ChunkStyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:46 AM

Paul was well within his rights to forget that this movie takes place in Gulfport, AL because there is no Gulfport in Alabama. I'd say they made up a small town on purpose so they didn't besmirch the sheriff of an actual city. Or they got it confused with Gulfport, Mississippi and never bothered to check. About even odds on those two.

#24 The Triple Lindy

Google Dark Caster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationThornton Melon School of Business, Grand Lakes U

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:26 AM

Jason and Paul both expressed consternation at the "former high school football star never moves past the glory days" trope in movies.

Guys, it isn't just a movie trope. Several of the star athletes from my small southern town high school are still in that small southern town, and they all still hang out together and feel inappropriately smug and badass for what they did two decades ago during their teens. I know a few of them who went to the same Large Regional State University that I went to, and all they did was hang out together and get drunk for a few semesters before failing out. If I recall, a few of them did the frat rush thing and struck out, so they tried unsuccessfully to start their own frat.

What you have to understand about the star player on the small hometown team -- they probably didn't have to do homework or go to class, they probably didn't have to get a job, they probably got out of at least two speeding tickets because they cops who pulled them over recognized them, and they were never expected to "grow" or "mature" or "be decent people." All that ticky-tack bullshit was just a distraction from the "big game." So when they get to actual adulthood, the fact that the seas don't part for them like they used to is too much to bear, and they're fully inequipped to deal with real life.

I was an all-county basketball player, so I got a taste of that kind of local privilege. But I also hated high school and most of the people in my town, so I got out and beyond it as soon as I was able. I think you sorta have to hate high school in order to move beyond it ... if your high school experience was too good, then you can be crippled by it.

EDIT to say: I know this is sophomoric analysis of a well-covered topic, but I've suddenly gotten a bunch of messages about my 20th HS reunion, which is next year, so it's a freshly picked scab that bleeds in this post ;)

#25 The Triple Lindy

Google Dark Caster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:28 AM

gigitastic, on 08 June 2018 - 08:39 AM, said:

Does this mean the Storm can be reasoned with? if they gave it a proper offering could it have spared this town?

Or maybe the storm felt pity? Like "sorry about your old man ... how about I kill this international band of bank robbers for you, just for old time's sake?"

I'm surprised there was a nod of "knowing understanding" between the storm and Will. Like, "yeah, I see you down there. You got away this time. I'll get you next year."

#26 Elektra Boogaloo

Mistress of All Agonies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:38 AM

taylor anne photo, on 08 June 2018 - 08:37 AM, said:

I'm going to make a grand statement and say that it is very attractive to me that Jason knows this much about Harry Potter. The true ideal amount of HP knowledge.

Agree. I like a man who appreciates Cedric Diggory. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory!!!

I also really appreciated June's "Who Jackie" reference. Well done. I tip my hat.

#27 omaxem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationEuropia

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:43 AM

" I recognize this as a movie "

High praise there from June. This should henceforth be featured in the promotional material for the film ( i can totally see it in the poster )

#28 grudlian.

Debbie Downer Award Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:54 AM

gigitastic, on 08 June 2018 - 08:39 AM, said:

The main guy is a synoptic meteorologist. He doesn't make mention of storms being sentient which leads me to believe he either 1. Isnt aware of them being sentient or 2. Or this is totally commonplace and not worth noting because all storms are sentient in this universe.

I'm leaning toward the latter but only because he speaks to the storm occasionally. He says something like "You're stronger than they're expecting." You think he might try tel the storm to calm down a bit.

#29 CakeBug Tranch

Loyal Tompkastaway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • LocationSchmocation

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:39 AM

The Triple Lindy, on 08 June 2018 - 08:23 AM, said:

When Casey and Will are concocting the car bomb idea, Casey says that they can pack a car full of kerosene and fertilizer, "just like Timothy McVeigh did."

Thanks, Tim. Your methods were sound and your legacy is intact.

Yes! I couldn't believe that they were using real-life tragedies as plot points - starting out with Hurricane Andrew (real-life death toll: 65) and then name-checking the Oklahoma City Bombing (real-life death toll: 168) without considering that people in their audiences might have been affected by those events. And to name-check the now-executed murderer who set that bomb off is really tone-deaf. And then naming the hurricane "Tammy" when an actual storm called Tammy (a tropical storm) actually happened, and killed ten people in 2005? They went to the trouble of fictionalizing the town they live in, why not fictionalize these other elements that remind us of such terrible things?
Cru: "God, what I wouldn't give to go ass-sliding with you right now." - Smooth Operator, Rad

Irene Molloy: "Do get done with [eating] that [banana], Minnie. The men are eyeing us for the wrong reasons." #spittake, Hello, Dolly!

HDTGM No-Prize Champion
Vampire's Kiss; xXx: Return of Xander Cage; Body Parts; The Running Man

#30 Elektra Boogaloo

Mistress of All Agonies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:57 AM

Oh. I wanted to talk about dumb weatherman names because Jason was mad that it's a hurricane movie with a character named "Breeze." I'm actually just surprised that HE wasn't the weatherman. My weatherman in NY was literally named Storm E. Field. If you are named a dumb storm name you are required to become a meteorologist.

Actual weather person names (look 'em up, nerds)
Amy Freeze
Dallas Raines
Larry Sprinkle
Sunny Haus

#31 The Triple Lindy

Google Dark Caster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:08 AM

omaxem, on 08 June 2018 - 09:43 AM, said:

High praise there from June. This should henceforth be featured in the promotional material for the film ( i can totally see it in the poster )

I'd wear that t-shirt

#32 Smigg.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:25 PM

Elektra Boogaloo, on 08 June 2018 - 10:57 AM, said:

Oh. I wanted to talk about dumb weatherman names because Jason was mad that it's a hurricane movie with a character named "Breeze." I'm actually just surprised that HE wasn't the weatherman. My weatherman in NY was literally named Storm E. Field. If you are named a dumb storm name you are required to become a meteorologist.

Actual weather person names (look 'em up, nerds)
Amy Freeze
Dallas Raines
Larry Sprinkle
Sunny Haus

Posted Image

#33 cruel intestines

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 04:56 PM

i haven't listened to this episode yet (i've recently succumbed to watching the extremely heterosexual nonsense that is Love Island and I'm so obsessed I can't do anything else), but I watched this a couple of weeks ago in a weather / robbery double bill with Hard Rain and I'm only slightly embarrassed to say that I genuinely had a great, great time watching this movie. I was just gleefully texting my pal about everything ridiculous happening and was screaming with laughter so much at the scene in the mall that I actually had to pause the movie until I calmed down. It's very silly and bad but I really thought it was a lot of fun. Having only seen Toby Kebbell in maybe Dead Man's Shoes, RocknRolla and Black Mirror, I could not cope with that terrible accent though, it was bad wasn't it?

I'm much more embarrassed to say that until I opened this thread, it hadn't even occurred to me that Breeze was a ~windy name

#34 The_Awesometeer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 04:57 PM

I know the skull face in the hurricane has already been talked about and discussed but I have a new theory about it. What if that skull face is in fact a spirit trapped inside the hurricane. It kills Will and Breeze's dad in the very beginning and we first see the skull face. I think at that moment the old spirit of the hurricane was released and the new spirit, Will and Breeze's dad, has now taken control over the hurricane. This explains why when we jump to the present day storm it never hurts or kills our good guy main characters. It sucks out and only kills the bad guys in the mall scene while keeping Breeze safe. It aids Will in killing people with hubcaps. During the chase scene at the end it helps destroy the other two semi-trucks but not the one our heroes are in. Coincidence or hurricane dad? You decide.

#35 cruel intestines

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:02 PM

Smigg., on 08 June 2018 - 07:57 AM, said:

And considering it's a heist movie

Robin Banks

Marginally related to this, growing up my best buds mum was called Robyn Holmes and even 20 some years later I think about this almost weekly.

#36 Ryan Sz

Technically a scientist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:18 PM

Smigg., on 08 June 2018 - 04:37 AM, said:

Oh shit! This really does look like it's worth a watch!

I will say that Bautista is really good in Hotel Artemis, albeit with a horrible Mexican accent, but I couldn't imagine him getting any bigger than his peak WWE days, but somehow he ate his former self because he is gigantic in this movie.

What's Its Mission?, on 08 June 2018 - 06:24 AM, said:

Was anyone else flummoxed by how easy it was for all the folks running around to not be effected by the insane gusts of wind? We literally see cars just sliding around the streets but all of our actors are moving around as if it's just a shitty, rainy day.

And if we ever want to attack a bank heist under bad weather conditions, I highly recommend:

Posted Image

As IMDB describes it, "A armored-truck driver and his nephew try to prevent three million dollars from being taken by a local rival gang during a catastrophic flooding caused by a severe storm."

Like Den of Thieves being a near copy of of Heat, this film is a copy of Hard Rain, right down to basically nearly every character but the leads becoming bad guys, and then turning on each other.

gigitastic, on 08 June 2018 - 08:37 AM, said:

So did Will and Breeze end up in like foster care after their dad is killed? Do they have a mother? Was she also killed by a storm monster? I kind of want to see a new version of this film where the storm monster takes them in and raises them.

I assume they are raised by the hurricane, it's why Will knows so much about them, and I assume Breeze was influenced to serve in the military after witnessing Operation Desert Storm.

Also when did the hacker couple start helping out the good guys, by the end of this movie I was skipping forward a bit and had no idea why the leads were trying to pull them from the truck they were driving. Lastly, the fans of this film are like that of Deep Blue Sea, as many of the positive reviews I read had the phrase "fuck you Geostorm."
2018 DLM Challenge: 219 movies (189 new) https://letterboxd.c...vies-challenge/
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"Everyone is a fucking idiot in this movie!" - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#37 Howibetyourmother

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:14 PM

I would like to point out one small, but irritating problem with the reality of this film. Ok, sentient storms? I'm on board. Supercar? sure, whatever. Single central processing center for every trash bill in the country? Fine.

What I absolutely refuse to believe is that the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that he has packed in that little console compartment are in any way still resembling a sandwich. Anyone who has every packed a PB & J for a lunch or a picnic knows that you have about 3-4 hrs maximum before that sandwich turns into a sloppy, sticky mess. There was not even a blotch of red on those spotless sandwiches they ate.

When the action of the movie began, the tank had been on the road for some time already. Even if he had made them in the morning, they would be piles of mush by the time they got to it (dusk). I also think those sandwiches were made WELL in advance, since every one of them is labeled for a different day of the week. They eat the "MONDAY" and "TUESDAY" sandwiches, but this scenario is presumably playing out just before or on the weekend, since the criminals had been "letting the money pile up all week."That means that worst case scenario, these sandwiches are last week's sandwiches, which he has forgotten about and left in the console, or best case scenario, all this takes place on a Sunday, and he's already eaten today's sandwich, and the Monday and Tuesday are ready to go, but that would mean that he had to make them at LEAST the previous night, which would still leave those sammies a big pile of mess.

Furthermore, here's some more questions for the group: Why does he label the sandwiches if they're all peanut butter and jelly? Why is his daily food ration one PB&J sandwich? That can't be enough calories for an adult human. Even if he does label them all, why does he write out the full name of each day? the handwriting looks shaky, like he had trouble doing it, and he seems to have a lot of them on hand, so he struggled through the full name of each day? I don't trust this synoptic meteorologist

#38 Howibetyourmother

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:38 PM

One more thing, and please, check my math on this one:

I remember reading an article (found the link, here) saying that a 4 ft. high palette of $100 bills would be about $100 million, meaning that each 4 ft high palette can hold about 1 million bills.

In the vault scene, Maggie (not the audience member) walks by what I am conservatively calling 45 palettes, each a bit higher than 4 ft, but let's call it 4 ft for ease of calculations. I paused, rewound, and counted several times, but 45 is about right. Presumably, the thieves are here to steal ALL of the palettes, since they're "letting the money pile up." If that's the case, they're about to steal a lot more than $600 million. Here we go:

There's no way to tell exactly what denomination they all are, but we can assume that they are about as distributed as the currency in circulation, which are as follows: (infographic link)

$1- 30%
$2- 3%
$5- 7%
$10- 5%
$20- 22%
$50- 4%
$100- 29%

so, if there are approx. 45 palettes, then there are about 45 million bills, distributed as above.
The breakdown:

$1- 30% = 13.5 million bills = $13.5 M
$2- 3% = 1.35 million bills = $2.7 M
$5- 7% = 3.15 million bills = $15.75 M
$10- 5% = 2.25 million bills = $22.5 M
$20- 22% = 9.9 million bills = $198 M
$50- 4% = 1.8 million bills = $90 M
$100- 29% = 13.05 million bills = $1.305 B for an estimated grand total of $1,647,450,000.

#39 Howibetyourmother

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:40 PM

What's Its Mission?, on 08 June 2018 - 06:24 AM, said:

Was anyone else flummoxed by how easy it was for all the folks running around to not be effected by the insane gusts of wind? We literally see cars just sliding around the streets but all of our actors are moving around as if it's just a shitty, rainy day.

And if we ever want to attack a bank heist under bad weather conditions, I highly recommend:

Posted Image

As IMDB describes it, "A armored-truck driver and his nephew try to prevent three million dollars from being taken by a local rival gang during a catastrophic flooding caused by a severe storm."

Yes! It even has the whole (SPOILER ALERT) trope of thinking the Sheriff is a good guy, and he turns mid-movie!

Man, Christian Slater was a plucky hero, wasn't he?

#40 Howibetyourmother

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:12 AM

BTW, is Paul still salty about that hdtgm.com that some a-hole is siting on? His Ben & Jerry's commercial spot seems to indicate so