🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
AlmostAGhost

Upcoming Episodes

I can see it's not on any upcoming episode lists yet, but I hope for Star Wars, they watch the untouched "despecialized" version or the original DVD before it got the Special Edition treatment that just became the version of record. Seems like the AFI list wouldn't include it based on the Jabba the Hutt scene alone...

• Like 2

Ep 14 - Double Indemnity 

Ep 15 - Singin’ In The Rain

Ep 16 - The Sixth Sense

Ep 17 - Taxi Driver

Are you talkin' Taxi Driver to me?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

FYI: Singin' In The Rain is currently available to stream on FilmStruck, The Sixth Sense can be streamed in the US on Netflix, and Taxi Driver can be streamed on Hulu.  And if you're waiting on the Double Indemnity episode for lack of availability of the film, it's scheduled to play on TCM on September 1st, and I'm hoping TCM will add it to their online on-demand movies in the next couple weeks but that's obviously not a sure thing.

• Like 4

The idea that The Sixth Sense is on this list compelled me to register just to complain about it. Talk about recency bias! 

Ep 16 - The Sixth Sense

Ep 17 - Taxi Driver

Ep 18 - E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

Ep 19 - High Noon

ghosts, criminals, aliens, cowboys

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Currently, E.T. can be streamed from HBOGo/HBONow, or through Amazon if you have an HBO subscription there.  High Noon can currently be streamed on Amazon Prime and on Hulu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2018 at 11:50 AM, bleary said:

And if you're waiting on the Double Indemnity episode for lack of availability of the film, it's scheduled to play on TCM on September 1st, and I'm hoping TCM will add it to their online on-demand movies in the next couple weeks but that's obviously not a sure thing.

Just to follow up on this, Double Indemnity can now be streamed for free (with valid cable subscription) over at TCM on demand until September 8th: http://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/titles/73500

• Like 1

EP 17. TAXI DRIVER (#52)   

EP 18. ET (#24)

EP 19. HIGH NOON (#27)

EP 20. APOCALYPSE NOW (#30) 

so many guns

5 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

EP 17. TAXI DRIVER (#52)   

EP 18. ET (#24)

EP 19. HIGH NOON (#27)

so many guns

Just change all the guns to walkie talkies.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

EP 17. TAXI DRIVER (#52)   

EP 18. ET (#24)

EP 19. HIGH NOON (#27)

so many guns

Sadly, Taxi Driver and Apocalypse Now are not currently streaming for free on any major US subscription streaming service that I can find.  Gotta get out the credit card, or check your local library.

E.T. is still on HBOGo and HBONow.
High Noon is still on Amazon Prime and Hulu.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bleary said:

Sadly, Taxi Driver and Apocalypse Now are not currently streaming for free on any major US subscription streaming service that I can find.  Gotta get out the credit card, or check your local library.

E.T. is still on HBOGo and HBONow.

What sucks is Taxi Driver was  on Hulu. I thought I checked to see if it was expiring, but I guess not. So annoying to have to rent something that was available just a few days ago 😡

• Sad 1

On an expiring stream note: The French Connection will leave HBO at the end of the month for anyone who hasn't had the chance to see it yet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

God bless Wikipedia. Here's a link to AFI's official ballot with the 400 films nominated to make the top 100. 

I'm surprised to see almost 30 films from the 2000s on the ballot, given only one ended up making the list.  In light of that, it certainly seems like Sixth Sense and Lord of the Rings did not get on the list through recency bias.

3 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

whoa cool.  we absolutely need to go through the remaining 300

I think I would kinda be okay with that. There's a lot on there that I haven't seen but want to see. 

• Like 1

Not an official update, BUT:

Because of some Facebook conspiracy theorists who doubted the existence of Paul & Amy's 100-sided dice, they put up a clip of them rolling it for a future episode on twitter.  They rolled #50, and were like "coming next Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid!"  Problem was, they were reading the wrong list, and that movie is not #50 on the 2007 list, so I held off adding it.  Amy just put on twitter a correction that they will be doing the actual #50.

For our purposes, it's not currently clear if it's following Apocalypse Now or there's something in between.  But I figure if anyone wants to watch the first two LOTR films in prep, there's some good lead notice now.

EP 18. ET (#24)

EP 19. HIGH NOON (#27)

sometime soon: LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING (#50)

• Like 3

oh oops, for some reason I was thinking Fellowship was the third LOTR movie.  I've only seen them a million times but somehow I registered that the third one was the one on the list, and didn't think any harder about what I was noting.  still, I think everyone should watch all three.

• Like 1

If you're waiting on Taxi Driver, it's on WatchTCM online until September 25 🤷‍♂️ http://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/titles/16448

I'm still not able to find Apocalypse Now on any subscription streaming services.

When Fellowship of the Ring comes around, it's currently streaming on Netflix.

• Like 1

Lord of the Rings is the next film after Apocalypse Now, according to the Unspooled twitter

• Like 2

The only place I could find where you can currently stream/rent Apocalypse Now is iTunes. Does anyone know if they're doing the theatrical release or the director's cut? 

4 minutes ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

The only place I could find where you can currently stream/rent Apocalypse Now is iTunes. Does anyone know if they're doing the theatrical release or the director's cut? 

The original theatrical one.  I believe they've said they will always do the original theatrical version of whatever movie they do.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

For other people looking for it, gowatchit says it's also available for rent/purchase from Vudu, Youtube, and Google Play.  I'd guess that's relevant for people with Chromecasts, but not Apple TVs.

For determining which version you're getting, you can look at the runtime.  Original theatrical is 147 minutes (2h 27 m), Redux is 196 minutes (3h 16m) according to my blu-rays.

And let's be honest, the Redux version isn't the one that's on the list.

ETA: Both versions are on iTunes.  Including the bundle of Apocalypse Now, Apocalypse Now Redux, and Hearts of Darkness.  Listing the versions.

The Apocalypse Now Triple Feature: (if you want the original theatrical and Redux versions.  And the Hearts of Darkness making-of documentary).

Apocalypse Now: original theatrical that you probably want

Apocalypse Now Redux: I don't know if I'd call it a director's cut, but FF Coppola went back and added a lot of scenes back to AN... and other stuff? (I believe there was new sound mixing as well, IDK tbh).  Despite owning it all these years, I've never actually watched this version, since the most positive thing I've heard about it is, "well, it's a very different movie," but maybe I should.