🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
AlmostAGhost

Upcoming Episodes

It did change to Do The Right Thing next week, I confirmed it on twitter

6/27 - Do The Right Thing (see tweet below; it's being re-released)

7/4 - The Deer Hunter (hmm about this being on the Fourth Of July)

• Like 1

Two more to add

7/11 - Gone With The Wind

7/18 - Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?

Prompted to mention because Do the Right Thing is the next movie up; but I noticed leaving the Criterion Channel on June 30th:

Charles Burnett's (also known for Killer of Sheep) To Sleep with Anger 

Robert Townsend's Hollywood Shuffle

I don't know if the other Charles Burnett stuff is leaving (e.g. My Brother's Wedding)

Another addition, as posted on the website:

6/27 - Do the Right Thing
7/4 - The Deer Hunter
7/11 - Gone With the Wind
7/18 - Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
7/25 - Bringing Up Baby

oh boy I can't wait to hear the ep and what you guys think about Bringing Up Baby. I watched it last summer not realizing it was on the AFI list, and I'm still a bit surprised by that -- not in a bad way, I do like it a lot. In my Letterboxd review, I called it "the most nutballs movie of all time" or something like that. Curious what I'll think re-watching it through an Unspooled lens.

• Like 1

I’m excited because it’s been awhile since I haven’t seen the movie being covered, and now there are TWO coming up! I bought Virginia Woolf and Bringing Up Baby when they were on the cheap, but I’ve held off on watching them until they were going to be covered on the show.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I’m excited because it’s been awhile since I haven’t seen the movie being covered, and now there are TWO coming up! I bought Virginia Woolf and Bringing Up Baby when they were on the cheap, but I’ve held off on watching them until they were going to be covered on the show.

Yea I'm stoked for Woolf for that reason. Not only have I not seen it, I haven't one clue what it's about or who is in it or even when it was made. I usually have a good sense of these things, even if I haven't seen them... but for this one, I feel like a total blank slate. I'm gonna try to leave it that way until I watch it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

oh boy I can't wait to hear the ep and what you guys think about Bringing Up Baby. I watched it last summer not realizing it was on the AFI list, and I'm still a bit surprised by that -- not in a bad way, I do like it a lot. In my Letterboxd review, I called it "the most nutballs movie of all time" or something like that. Curious what I'll think re-watching it through an Unspooled lens.

I'm going to have a very unpopular opinion on Bringing Up Baby that I recognize is potentially crazy.

22 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I'm going to have a very unpopular opinion on Bringing Up Baby that I recognize is potentially crazy.

#1 film of all-time?

13 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

#1 film of all-time?

It's more crazy because of how it relates to another film. I'll save it for the relevant episode though.

Gone With the Wind? I’ve avoided that movie my whole life. As a U.S. history teacher for almost thirty years, I’ve got little patience for films that try to put a happy face on slavery and the Confederacy. It’s going to be a tough watch.

I'm glad I DVRed Gone With the Wind last time it was on TCM.  (It will be on TCM again this Friday, if anyone wants to catch it that way.)  It's been a few years since I've seen it, but I recall it being a slog.  Maybe I'll watch until the intermission tonight and finish it tomorrow.

As for Virginia Woolf, I really hope everyone likes it as much as I do.  I don't think my heart can take another Deer Hunter-level opposition.

And I agree that Bringing Up Baby is a super enjoyable nutballs film that I don't know how to compare to things like 12 Angry Men or The Sixth Sense, which are literally the two films sandwiching it on the list.

On 7/6/2019 at 4:42 AM, robtucker63 said:

Gone With the Wind? I’ve avoided that movie my whole life. As a U.S. history teacher for almost thirty years, I’ve got little patience for films that try to put a happy face on slavery and the Confederacy. It’s going to be a tough watch.

I've avoided this movie also and doubt I'm going to watch it unless Paul and Amy convince me it's worth my time. I'm not sticking to having to watch every single movie on the list. So far I've skipped A Clockwork Orange and The Deer Hunter. The former because I'd already seen it and that was enough; the latter because I'm just not ready for another bro-y Vietnam movie, particularly one that long. I might watch it sometime in the future. For now, I don't feel compelled to watch Gone With the Wind.

I skipped A Clockwork Orange also. I’ve seen it several times, and I don’t think I could sit through the brutality again. And I usually love Kubrick. 2001 and Dr. Strangelove are two of my all-time favorites.

It appears from Paul's twitter that Pulp Fiction will be sliding in there next week before Bringing Up Baby

7/18 - Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
7/25 - Pulp Fiction
8/1 - Bringing Up Baby

• Like 1

Despite seeing Bringing up Baby as a young teen, I have zero recollection what it's about (I couldn't give you even a one sentence plotline or synopsis).

Though I had never seen Woolf (I went with that this past weekend), I at least had a vague understanding of the plot (high level), a vague recollection of one of the stars, and I think I noticed a couple weeks ago it was another Mike Nichols film.

I will say, it was definitely more than I was expecting though. I don't have a good feel on how people will react to it.

Current schedule for August!

8/1 - Bringing Up Baby
8/8 - Nashville
8/15 - The Maltese Falcon
8/22 - The Philadelphia Story

Hepburn month, oh yea!

• Like 1

We're really knocking a bunch of the super long ones out of the way in a short bit of time.  Deer Hunter, Gone With the Wind, Pulp Fiction, and Nashville span over 12 hours combined.

Surprised they didn't do Jaws during the summer considering it was the original summer blockbuster.

On 7/28/2019 at 1:34 AM, Sharky86 said:

Surprised they didn't do Jaws during the summer considering it was the original summer blockbuster.

I was wondering that as well.  I suspect, they might be saving it for October since I think it's the last horror film on the list.

I really hope they do Network.

It seems that it would be fairly on-the-nose for the political & media climate right now.

8/15 The Maltese Falcon
8/22 Philadelphia Story
8/29 Network
9/5 Lawrence of Arabia
9/12 On The Waterfront

don't know when the live episode I'm going to tomorrow will slide in there tho

• Like 3

9/5 Lawrence of Arabia
9/12 On The Waterfront
9/19 North By Northwest
9/26 Spartacus
10/3 Some Like It Hot
10/10 American Graffiti

Looks like we're in for a really entertaining fall to me

• Like 1

I know Godfather Part 2 is playing in theaters the second week of November, so here’s hoping they do both of those movies around then. 

I know Jaws is more of a summer movie, but of all the films left, it’s the closest thing to something scary for Halloween.