🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
taylor anne photo

Film Struck

We don't really have in between threads here like we do over at HDTGM but I wanted to see if anyone here was using Film Struck and if they liked it. I'm considering dropping one of the many movie subscription services I have and getting it because they have a shit ton of classic movies that you can't see anywhere else (and appears like a few even covered here on Unspooled).

I have a friend that works for the social media team at TCM and Film Struck so she's been talking it up non-stop but I know that it's not just because she works for them but because she really loves their service, but I do also want some opinions from people not on their payroll lol.

I've been waffling on getting FilmStruck, right now I'm paying for four movie services and I don't know which one I'd get rid of. I want to support it though.

• Like 2

I've had FilmStruck/Criterion Channel a little over a year, and I love it. The only real negative is that the website's flash-based system is a bit inelegant, and it makes browsing the collections more time-consuming than it needs to be.

But the big plus is its library. While films rotate in and out, they tend to stay for a much longer time than on something like Mubi. They're well-curated into smaller collections, such as weekly groups dedicated to a certain actor or director. I've also recently been diving into their short film collection, which has allowed me to discover a few gems I'd never heard of.

So I'd recommend that you look at the library and see if it has enough of what you'd want. I'd guess that over half the AFI 100 list have been on FilmStruck (or the Criterion Channel part of FilmStruck) at some point over the last year.

• Like 1

I've had FilmStruck basically since its inception and love it. They've recently started incorporated a lot more classic TCM stuff which is great as it was far more Criterion-heavy for a long time since it's starting to balance out.

I hope they continue to expand. I would love to see A LOT more Hong Kong action films in there as that an area in film that is hard to find stuff in good quality, even for those willing to buy blu-rays. They have City on Fire and some Johnnie To stuff but that's about it. Also, they have a decent amount of Czech New Wave stuff but also an area they can improve on. But simply speaking, if you're looking for AFI Top 100 stuff, there's plenty of that there as well.

• Like 1

I have had it since week 1 and love it. The Filmstruck and Criterion Channel package is a great value. As pointed out by a previous poster, started out a lot more Criterion heavy, but they have incorporated more TCM programming as of late.

They have a very poor selection of Westerns, and just keep putting the same ones in rotation mostly, but that is a very niche issue.

Love their collection picks and their director spotlights especially.

In short, highly recommended for any film fan.

• Like 1