🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 42 Preview (Quasar Sniffer’s 3rd Pick)

Ok, I WAS finally going to finally complete the Religious Based Musicals Directed By Norman Jewison duology and pick Fiddler on the Roof, but then some other outside influences really put me in the mood to watch a very different movie, one that is a change of pace from what we've been watching recently. Put on your sunglasses and ties, it's time to fight neo-Nazis and dance with Aretha Franklin because we're watching...

The Blues Brothers

the-blues-brothers-poster-print-movie-quote-were-putting-the-band-back-together-beautify-my-walls.jpg

• Like 6

Ok, I WAS finally going to finally complete the Religious Based Musicals Directed By Norman Jewison duology and pick Fiddler on the Roof, but then some other outside influences really put me in the mood to watch a very different movie, one that is a change of pace from what we've been watching recently. Put on your sunglasses and ties, it's time to fight neo-Nazis and dance with Aretha Franklin because we're watching...

The Blues Brothers

the-blues-brothers-poster-print-movie-quote-were-putting-the-band-back-together-beautify-my-walls.jpg

It's not by Norman Jewison, but this is a religious musical. They're on a mission from God.

• Like 5

The Blues Brothers

Great pick! I have to admit, I’m not 100% sure I’ve ever seen this. I know I’ve seen parts, but I’m not sure if I’ve seen it beginning to end. I do, however, own B.B. 2000...

• Like 2

I SWEAR TO GOD IF ANYONE HAS A GOD DAMN WORD TO SAY AGAINST THIS MOVIE I WILL FLIP THE HELL OUT.

This is to me what 'Beauty and the Beast' is to Taylor. By FAR by favorite movie - honestly, my view count is in the hundreds - and my oldest, strongest link to my dad, who showed me this when I was a kid. The only reason I never picked this was because I couldn't bear to see it torn down.

giphy.gif

• Like 5

It's not by Norman Jewison, but this is a religious musical. They're on a mission from God.

It's like this choice was pre-ordained....

giphy.gif

• Like 3

I SWEAR TO GOD IF ANYONE HAS A GOD DAMN WORD TO SAY AGAINST THIS MOVIE I WILL FLIP THE HELL OUT.

This is to me what 'Beauty and the Beast' is to Taylor. By FAR by favorite movie - honestly, my view count is in the hundreds - and my oldest, strongest link to my dad, who showed me this when I was a kid. The only reason I never picked this was because I couldn't bear to see it torn down.

giphy.gif

Damn I thought that was Across the Universe but okay

0-color-470.gif

• Like 4

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Serious question. Should I buy both movies? I've never seen BB 2000 and I assume we'll discuss it at least in part. Best Buy has a good deal right now on the original movie on Blu-Ray plus digital copy for $9.99. I could get that and rent BB2000 or get both w/out digital for $14.99. I've seen the original enough that it would be good to have on hand.

• Like 2

I've never seen Blues Brothers 2000. I've loved the original since I was a kid. My parents had the soundtrack on vinyl and would play it in the house to try and cheer me up when I was a small child, before I even knew this was a movie. Hell, it was probably this soundtrack/album that made me aware Saturday Night Live was something that existed. As such, I have always avoided the sequel because I just don't want to see performers I love, inhabiting characters I've known since childhood, doing a movie I am 99% sure is terrible. I still don't want to see it. And since I haven't watched the original in years, I'd rather not sully the rewatch even by knowing a Blues Brothers 2000 viewing is in store for me.

So.... That's my take! Maybe I like movies too much? I'll still listen to the soundtrack though.

• Like 3

It hurts me deeply to say that BB2000 is straight up terrible. I'm dreading the HDTGM treatment this film is going to get soon, but even I, as a Blues Bros superfan, knows that the sequel is a mess. It's definitely made for the fans, with plenty of callbacks, cameos and interesting moments, with direct parallels back to the original (we go back to Bob's Country Bunker which is now a breakfast place; we go back to pick up Matt and Blue Lou from Aretha but instead of being at the Soul Food Cafe they run a Mercedes dealership (which is in Toronto, and I drove past it this morning).

But all in all, it's god-awful. The parallel version of 'Rawhide' is at a Bluegrass Festival where they are booked in as 'The Bluegrass Brothers' with big ZZ Top beards on, but they do a utterly brilliant version of 'Ghost Riders in the Sky', which is worth the movie all on its own. I love parts of BB2000 in its own way, but ultimately, with the soul of the film (Jake) absent, and a wisecracking kid in his place, it's nothing but disappointment.

• Like 3

Serious question. Should I buy both movies? I've never seen BB 2000 and I assume we'll discuss it at least in part. Best Buy has a good deal right now on the original movie on Blu-Ray plus digital copy for $9.99. I could get that and rent BB2000 or get both w/out digital for $14.99. I've seen the original enough that it would be good to have on hand.

I would not pay more than the rental price for Blues Brothers 2000. You won't be watching it a second time.

• Like 2

I would get BB2K just because you know it's coming up really really soon on hDTGM and we'll probably discuss it as well. The best part of BB2K (in my opinion) is the soundtrack.

• Like 2

BB2K is on Cinemax in case anyone has that. Trying to save some money for y'all.

• Like 3

BB2K is on Cinemax in case anyone has that. Trying to save some money for y'all.

and that's still too much to pay

• Like 3

Oh I've never seen this! I live in Chicago, I feel like I should have. Hopefully I won't get sick this week too and can actually participate!

• Like 2

Oh I've never seen this! I live in Chicago, I feel like I should have. Hopefully I won't get sick this week too and can actually participate!

Participation is great. Reenactment is...discouraged.

5c1017484f394ecc65dc83e99707088e.png

• Like 3

Participation is great. Reenactment is...discouraged.

5c1017484f394ecc65dc83e99707088e.png

On the other hand, if you see any Illinois Nazis on a bridge, then go for it.

• Like 3

I decided to get the Blu-Ray/Digital combo for $9.99 and will buy BB 2000 on streaming. I don't want to have to pay twice for the original movie and want to make sure I get all the special features. (It has the Unrated/Extended version with more musical numbers as an option.)

• Like 2

I decided to get the Blu-Ray/Digital combo for $9.99 and will buy BB 2000 on streaming. I don't want to have to pay twice for the original movie and want to make sure I get all the special features. (It has the Unrated/Extended version with more musical numbers as an option.)

The disc has the extended edition. I only got rights to the theatrical option for streaming.

• Like 1