🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey  

14 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Does "2001: A Space Odyssey" belong on the AFI List?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/01/19 at 08:00 AM

I don't think that the sequence in which one ape man kills another with a bone is about the violence. It is about the discovery of tools. Hence the famous cut from the very first tool- a bone used as a weapon- to the ultimate tool- a spaceship run by an artificial intelligence.

I don't think that the sequence in which one ape man kills another with a bone is about the violence. It is about the discovery of tools. Hence the famous cut from the very first tool- a bone used as a weapon- to the ultimate tool- a spaceship run by an artificial intelligence.

It's about both IMO. It shows how man develops tools . . . but the first tool they invented was a weapon.

• Like 3

It's about both IMO. It shows how man develops tools . . . but the first tool they invented was a weapon.

As I recall, isn't the satellite we see a laser? I know it was planned to be one but it's not made explicit in the movie.

As I recall, isn't the satellite we see a laser? I know it was planned to be one but it's not made explicit in the movie.

I think that was the idea, but as you say the movie never says so.

Are you talking about the first "spaceship" we see after the bone? According to Amazon trivia:

zfrdrMj.jpg?1

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Phlox13 said:

Have any of you asked Siri about HAL? She gets very defensive. 

Yeah it’s pretty funny

Sign in to follow this