🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 191.5 - Minisode 191.5

Rad shoes, incredible screaming Geostorm shout outs, and more on this week’s minisode! Paul goes through Corrections and Omissions for Rad, Blake J. Harris interviews Rad’s bike guru/mechanic Mark Kaustinen (full interview on www.slashfilm.com), Paul recommends a special you should check out, and the Movie Bitches review Tyler Perry’s Acrimony. Plus, the next movie selection to get the HDTGM treatment!

Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson here: http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/

Check out our new website over at www.hdtgminfo.com!

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli…wdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

@PaulScheer on Instagram & Twitter

@Junediane on IG and @MsJuneDiane on Twitter

Jason is still not on Twitter

The next episode features an EPIC rant by June that is not to be missed.

Did animals not get paid?

• Like 2

Did animals not get paid?

I would assume it's based, in part, on how women are treated in the movie. Demi Moore plays a cop (? I don't remember for sure) who loses her kids and decides to become a stripper to get them back. It's a plot that is not only outlandish and completely divorced from reality but would never ever be the plot for a movie following a man winning back his kids.

If it isn't that, I'd prefer to wait until the episode to hear what she talks about

• Like 8

but would never ever be the plot for a movie following a man winning back his kids.

Or if it was, it would be a Rob Schneider comedy treatment.

• Like 4

I would assume it's based, in part, on how women are treated in the movie. Demi Moore plays a cop (? I don't remember for sure) who loses her kids and decides to become a stripper to get them back. It's a plot that is not only outlandish and completely divorced from reality but would never ever be the plot for a movie following a man winning back his kids.

If it isn't that, I'd prefer to wait until the episode to hear what she talks about

I was watching an old episode of CSI Las Vegas the other day and it immediately made me think of this movie. Because of course one of the female CSI's was also a former stripper/single mother. And I get why thats fucking annoying. Its not like in a million fucking years they would have ever come up with a similar storyline for a dude.

It'd be like Grissom saying that before he joined the crime lab he paid his way through school by dancing with Thunder from Down Under.

• Like 4

I was watching an old episode of CSI Las Vegas the other day and it immediately made me think of this movie. Because of course one of the female CSI's was also a former stripper/single mother. And I get why thats fucking annoying. Its not like in a million fucking years they would have ever come up with a similar storyline for a dude.

It'd be like Grissom saying that before he joined the crime lab he paid his way through school by dancing with Thunder from Down Under.

They do that in Grey's Anatomy too. An entire episode is dedicated to how the other residents discover that Katherine Heigl stripped and did erotic modeling during med school and post her photos all over. But I also like that she gets a good monologue where she yells at them all for slut shaming her and she gets to walk proudly knowing she isn't weighed down by student loans because all of that paid for her college.

The whole concept is a double edged sword for sure, and I have yet to see Striptease but I imagine they probably didn't cover the subject as well as they did on Grey's.

• Like 3

Can't wait for the gang to talk about the frequent use of Annie Lennox songs that Demi Moore dances to in this film.

• Like 5

I know this may sound rasist and Canada's a big country but I have to ask does RAD bike mechanic Mark Kaustinen have anything to do with Canadian actor/legend and BMX enthisiast Yannick Bissen aka Dectective William Murdock himself? I ask because I'm a massive Murdoch Mysteries fan and it would make my day to think this slightly blockers show was connected to the podcast.

Many thanks to Paul for going to the unnecessary trouble of reading all my SAT rant nonsense. I just couldn't help but try and think of ideas to make the events in this movie, you know, matter.

• Like 7

They do that in Grey's Anatomy too. An entire episode is dedicated to how the other residents discover that Katherine Heigl stripped and did erotic modeling during med school and post her photos all over. But I also like that she gets a good monologue where she yells at them all for slut shaming her and she gets to walk proudly knowing she isn't weighed down by student loans because all of that paid for her college.

The whole concept is a double edged sword for sure, and I have yet to see Striptease but I imagine they probably didn't cover the subject as well as they did on Grey's.

Marg Helgenberger's character had similar beats, it was nice they never wrote her backstory as if it was a secret to any one else. Everyone knew and she was quite proud of how good a dancer she was.

Its just silly how often they feel a need to justify a very attractive woman at her job as only making sense if she came from a dancing/modeling career before hand. Its not like everytime Jon Hamm pops up in a role they go into some elaborate back story of his previous life as an underwear model.

• Like 1

So i'm currently watching the movie right now, and I have to wonder, am I the only one fucking weirded out by the fact that Demi Moore was doing her stripping scenes in front of her own daughter?

Any enjoyment I get from Burt Reynolds being a fucking lunatic in this movie or that Ving Rhames is named Shad, is almost overwhelmingly overwritten by that bit of information. Like I get families being comfortable with nudity, but it seems super fucking strange for a parent to do an erotically charged dance routine topless in front of their own child. They even filled the room with barely paid actors who were mainly there for the chance to see Demi Moore topless.

I can't help but think that its this that sets June off.

• Like 1

Here are the live shows from New York and Denver that are confirmed

July 18 in New York: Yes, Giorgio (1982) and Beastly (2011)

August 25 in Denver: Look Who's Talking Too (1990) and The Cat in the Hat (2003)

Link in description: http://www.hdtgminfo.com

• Like 3

Here are the live shows from New York and Denver that are confirmed

July 18 in New York: Yes, Giorgio (1982) and Beastly (2011)

August 25 in Denver: Look Who's Talking Too (1990) and The Cat in the Hat (2003)

Link in description: http://www.hdtgminfo.com

Yay! I get to watch Beastly again! #Hunterishotter

ETA: I’m really excited about a lot of these announcements :)

• Like 3

She was an assistant at the FBI who is fired because her ex husband is a criminal (because that's a thing?!) but yeah it was one of the BEST June moments of all time. Along with the moment coming up for the episode after this but that's more along the line of a "What's It's Mission"

It's not exactly Ass Sliding but in order to get into the secret tunnel that leads into the Shrieking Shack it's a bit of a tumble?

\

She was an assistant at the FBI who is fired because her ex husband is a criminal (because that's a thing?!)

It actually kinda is. When you start work in most jobs related to criminals at all, you have to disclose any possible relationship with a criminal before you start work, otherwise it's grounds for termination. When I started as a librarian at the prison I work at, they gave me a sheet to fill out asking if I knew any inmates currently housed in the facility, so that they could move them to another facility, so there would be no chance of collusion or informality. My supervising librarian recently went through this as her mother-in-law admitted to being a penpal to an inmate in the facility for a very long time. She had to let our supervisor know, the assistant wardens, and the warden, for full transparency and to have the guy removed from the facility. So if it's like that for librarians in a prison, it's much more for someone working for a federal agency like the FBI and CIA.

In regards to woman becoming a stripper to save her kids, the only time I remember it being flipped was in the Dave Barry book which later became the film Big Trouble, where one of the side characters played by Patrick Wharburton when he lost his family because he was fired for running through an airport nude in order to get away from vengeful TSA agents. It's kind of a weird film.

The one thing I remember about this movie was all of the hype about Demi Moore being nude, since she was also then the highest paid actress in history for the role. This then led into the uber-hype for GI Jane when the big deal for that was she was getting her head shaved.

And no real big spoiler, but I just finished season 2 of Luke Cage and the only thing I'm upset by

is that there was no Usain Bolt cameo, especially with how it's set up throughout the season. I mean really Marvel, you couldn't have had one episode end with him coming to Harlem to see if Cage is truly faster?

• Like 1

In regards to woman becoming a stripper to save her kids, the only time I remember it being flipped was in the Dave Barry book which later became the film Big Trouble, where one of the side characters played by Patrick Wharburton when he lost his family because he was fired for running through an airport nude in order to get away from vengeful TSA agents. It's kind of a weird film.

Did he lose his family? I thought he just gained a wife. That movie is very weird and also filled with actors who are far too good to star in something this terrible.

Tim Allens the only one I can see as belonging in this.

• Like 2

Did he lose his family? I thought he just gained a wife. That movie is very weird and also filled with actors who are far too good to star in something this terrible.

Tim Allens the only one I can see as belonging in this.

He did have a family, which was mentioned by his partner Janeane Garofalo because Wharburton was attracted to her and the reason why she wouldn't sleep with him. In the closing montage it's mentioned how the escapade caused him to lose them but also made him feel more comfortable in his skin and he loved the attention he got as a stripper so he never looked back.

As far as the actors in this, in hindsight it looks bad but when it came out they were at the perfect level for a movie like this.

Allen was just getting off Home Improvement.

Renee Russo was done with the Lethal Weapon films.

Stanley Tucci is good for anything needing a sleazy character actor.

Ben Foster was just finishing up being a kid's TV star.

Zooey Deschenel hadn't really been in anything.

Johnny Knoxville had only been in Jackass and was looking to start in movies.

Tom Sizemore needed the work.

Plus it was a pretty well regarded book by Dave Barry, who has found success as a writer as a sort of bobo Carl Hiaasen, the author of Striptease. Sort of like a Dean Koontz to Hiaasen's Stephen King, so it seemed like this would be a decent comedy hit. Then 9/11 happened, and the movie was bumped from its 9/21 release date into a release wasteland of the following April. At that point the controversy and the fact it's not plotted out well at all meant it was DOA.

• Like 2

Thats right, I guess the woman he met at the end was less bothered by his marriage. And I can't argue that anyone in that was in the habit of only picking winners at this point in their career. I completely forgot Sofia Vergara was in this and her whole romance with Jason Lee's homeless frito Jesus character.

Also I think my life could have gone just fine without knowing what Burt Reynolds looks like slathered in baby oil as an aside for Striptease.

• Like 1

Also I think my life could have gone just fine without knowing what Burt Reynolds looks like slathered in baby oil as an aside for Striptease.

Oh no, that is something that the world needed to behold, a past-his-prime Burt all slimy and slick.

• Like 2

The grossest thing about that scene is that I feel like it took zero convincing for him to do it. Like if they hadn't asked him to he might have just done it anyways.

• Like 1

The grossest thing about that scene is that I feel like it took zero convincing for him to do it. Like if they hadn't asked him to he might have just done it anyways.

just FYI, it was vaseline, or at least it was within the movie, would not be surprised if in reality they used baby oil for filming.

Honestly, that's my favorite scene in the whole movie. I actually saw the movie around the time it came out and while I didn't care much for the rest of the film, I thought Reynolds portrayal of a corrupt congressman was fucking brilliant. He really nails the whole super-creepy, dissociated from reality guy. When his aid goes follows her to the laundrymat, I thought he was going to steal her underwear (which would be creepy enough) but he just gets the dryer lint (which he needed tongs for?). Congressman Dilbeck goes wild for it, inhaling it and talking about her "essence". I mean ... it would just smell like fabric softener or detergent right? I dunno, there's so much creepy going on I don't know where to start or end.

There are a lot of things wrong with this movie, but casting Burt Reynolds as David Dilbeck was a stroke of genius.

I think after Boogie Nights, Reynolds just sort of embraced and fell into full tilt crazy when doing his roles. From basically playing an oversized version of himself in Saints Row 3 to doing voicework for Robot Chicken, there are loads of behind the scenes outtakes where he had to be reeled in otherwise it was too crazy. It's really saying something when the least crazy thing he's done was his guest spot on Archer, and in that he still drives around with a pimp cup, just because he had never done so before in his life.