🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 192 - Striptease: LIVE!

She could go in with these gross ideas about what erotic dancing is like and what these women have to deal with and then it becomes Miss Congeniality and suddenly Sandra Bullock is actually there and we're all happier cause we're watching a better movie.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

So, I messaged a friend of mine from college who works for the FBI.

aLSeuFk.jpg

Looks like it's not only plausible, but very likely that this would happen. I think it's interesting to note you can't even be involved with police. While I didn't ask for different rules for agents versus secretaries, I would assume they have similar rules just because they probably have access to a lot of information.

I think we just found this weeks WINNER!

• Like 2

It isn't during sex like Jason wanted but the best call of "Burt Reynolds" occurring in nature that I know of is from this. Paul Westerberg playing Can't Hardly Wait on SNL. Apparently Paul told his drummer to yell out whatever came into his head when the song hit its pause. He went with Burt Reynolds. It happens at 2:15.

These poor fools in 1993 didn't even know they had Congressman David Dilbeck to look forward to.

• Like 1

Absolutely. When I mentioned that she could go in with those gross ideas about erotic dancing and the dancers, it would be a learning situation for her and then, by proxy, us the audience as well. Because yes, this movie tries to show these women are good people who jump at the chance to help their fellow dancer (one girl even tries to convince Demi that this is just as much a honest way of living as anything else) but when Demi is our protagonist and therefore the audience's view into this world, it fucking suuuucks to watch her gag at the idea that she herself is topless on that stage.

Also because I believe that is Sandy's view of the pageant world before she goes undercover in MC, but when she comes out of it she has friends and people she now respects because she didn't know what it was like before hand.

THIS THIS THIS A THOUSAND TIMES THIS. These women are just people doing a job giving people a service. I would have loved to have actually gotten to actually get to know the women she worked with like in Miss Congeniality. I love that movie because not only does Sandy's character learn that not every pageant girl is a stereotype we get to actually meet these great interesting fun women through her. Like we get these small moments where they are all very human and real and I personally start to fall in love with these women and like one of my all time favorite moments is when they are all eating pizza and drinking (without the eating disorder joke) I would have loved to see that done for women in a much more hated and looked down upon profession.

I honestly don't think Demi's character will ever think of or speak to those women again in her character's life even though they clearly cared for her and her child. Because she wasn't really a "dancer" she was only doing it because of this awful thing and that means that those other girls who are doing it because ( they want to/ it pays well/ it works with their schedule/ they also have some tragic life thing and sadly had to turn to a form of sex work which is a whole other rant) are therefore inferior. Like that's what this movie is saying. I wish we could have had a different version where instead of being above it and maintaining her perfect purity the movie could have focused more on how this is really just a job like any other and these women are no different than Demi.

• Like 4

She tells the judge that he’s “addicted to pills and a thief.” Considering his apparent ease of access to hospitals and that he becomes an informant for the vice squad, I’m guessing he was stealing medication and selling it.

I was honestly shocked that they let a known drug addict keep a child in his care than an unemployed mother. I feel like his lawyer HAD to have bribed the judge. Maybe he's also a drug DEALER as well as a user? Unless the judge needed a deal on a sweet sweet used wheelchair. Or a wolf dog?

Also outside of using her for cons and spite wouldn't having to care for a kid cramp this kind of losers style?

THIS THIS THIS A THOUSAND TIMES THIS. These women are just people doing a job giving people a service. I would have loved to have actually gotten to actually get to know the women she worked with like in Miss Congeniality. I love that movie because not only does Sandy's character learn that not every pageant girl is a stereotype we get to actually meet these great interesting fun women through her. Like we get these small moments where they are all very human and real and I personally start to fall in love with these women and like one of my all time favorite moments is when they are all eating pizza and drinking (without the eating disorder joke) I would have loved to see that done for women in a much more hated and looked down upon profession.

I honestly don't think Demi's character will ever think of or speak to those women again in her character's life even though they clearly cared for her and her child. Because she wasn't really a "dancer" she was only doing it because of this awful thing and that means that those other girls who are doing it because ( they want to/ it pays well/ it works with their schedule/ they also have some tragic life thing and sadly had to turn to a form of sex work which is a whole other rant) are therefore inferior. Like that's what this movie is saying. I wish we could have had a different version where instead of being above it and maintaining her perfect purity the movie could have focused more on how this is really just a job like any other and these women are no different than Demi.

This is one of the things that bummed me out. The women who worked in the club were totally accepting of Demi Moore and they supportive of each other. I can understand why Demi doesn't want her daughter to see her dancing. I can understand not wanting to do this job and wanting out of this life. But she clearly has no respect for this job or these women and that's not the same thing at all as not exposing her daughter to this life.

They were the only good people in the movie which is, completely by accident in my opinion, a great message. I think it's subtly pointing out how life probably is for women in this profession. They have to help each other because of the stigma against erotic dancers. So many people think dancers are shitty people or get easy money. These women have to support each other because no one else will. Even Demi Moore's character who is literally doing this job and should understand their plight. Fuck Demi Moore in this movie

• Like 5

Abso-freakin’-lutely!

Or! Just make her an undercover FBI agent! A guy was murdered and the last place he was seen was at this strip club. Get rid of the husband and daughter stuff - which is all just false sentiment anyway - and just make it about government corruption.

That was the biggest bummer to me, I saw this movie like 10 years ago and I had a different movie in my head apparently.

I thought she was undercover the whole time and this was a Running Scared situation.

To find out that it wasn't and she just happens to stumble onto some next level corruption was more than a little disappointing. And I agree that this movie COULD have been alot more empowering to women if Demi Moore wasn't actively looking at all her co-workers like theyre garbage people.

Also Burt Reynolds is fucking gross, I wouldnt be at all surprised to find out he took this role for a smaller paycheck solely because they told him it was a movie about strippers and he would be slathered head to toe in vaseline.

And for the whole why did she get fired question, while I agree it's horseshit. There is a fair amount of precedent including this fairly fascinating thread:

https://forum.officer.com/forum/public-forums/ask-a-cop/6512620-married-to-a-ex-convicted-felon

• Like 6

I read the beginning of the book on Amazon Look Inside to see if it gave any clues as to why Erin was fired. It did not. It does contain the yogurt/cockroach scene though (no mention of hair being blown off).

And, yes, the name is "Erb."

I am so glad I didn't watch this movie. I'm busy trying to think up a good sign for the BAM show.

• Like 2

This is one of the things that bummed me out. The women who worked in the club were totally accepting of Demi Moore and they supportive of each other. I can understand why Demi doesn't want her daughter to see her dancing. I can understand not wanting to do this job and wanting out of this life. But she clearly has no respect for this job or these women and that's not the same thing at all as not exposing her daughter to this life.

They were the only good people in the movie which is, completely by accident in my opinion, a great message. I think it's subtly pointing out how life probably is for women in this profession. They have to help each other because of the stigma against erotic dancers. So many people think dancers are shitty people or get easy money. These women have to support each other because no one else will. Even Demi Moore's character who is literally doing this job and should understand their plight. Fuck Demi Moore in this movie

THANK YOU! They really were the best people in this whole dumpster fire of a film. This woman was working with them for what 8 weeks? I wouldn't watch someone's fish much less THEIR CHILD if I knew them from work for 8 weeks. But no they were taking care of that little girl like they had known her her whole life. They were playing stupid games with her making sure she was getting to sleep and had a place to rest, she had snacks she wasn't alone. These women are giving up chances AT MAKING THEIR LIVING FOR DEMI. By staying in the backstage area with her daughter they are forfeiting their time on the floor where they could be earning money. To help this woman who has been with them for a mere 2 months. A woman who thinks she is better than them because she's a pure delicate flower while they are trash for earning a living and not being ashamed.

They put themselves in potential danger by associating with her. They know her ex is a criminal and she clearly fears him and yet they are still there for her. They knew about the deranged congressman and the dead stalker. STILL they stuck by her. Because as you mentioned they know what it's like to be persecuted because of their choice of career. They know that the only people who have their backs are each other. They were so fucking accepting and welcoming of her and I guarantee she thought she was not only better than them throughout this but she would never ever give them a moments thought after this.

I'd rather my child know I was a stripper than feel disgust and shame about women who went above and beyond because they are simply doing a job.

• Like 4

Lots of great strip club info

So I am NO expert, but I did have a close friend who was a stripper while we were in college and can impart SOME of the knowledge I got from her.

I also read Diablo Cody's book - which is not just stripping but is also sex work... and it's a pretty great book. Again - all second hand knowledge.

The Eager Beaver is a strange club in that it does seem to run much more like a Burlesque show than a strip club... seeing that, as Gigitastic pointed out, Demi is never working the floor. That is THE ESSENCE of how you make any money at a club. The scenes where the dancers are just chilling back stage before they go on is not really how it works. You can certainly take breaks but if you want money you have to be wheeling and dealing the crowd. You need to be introducing yourself to customers and asking people if they want private dances and special services. Dancers, like many industries, absolutely rely on regular and returning customers. If you are a dancer, your bills are PAID if you have a guy who returns to see you over and over. My friend had at least one regular who showered her with gifts and money. She always said he was a businessman who did not have time for a girlfriend and preferred to just spend his time and money on strippers. He would get to know her by returning night after night... and also he got to see her naked regularly which apparently was enough for him.

POINT IS - she didn't make very much money on the center stage dances.

• Like 5

So I am NO expert, but I did have a close friend who was a stripper while we were in college and can impart SOME of the knowledge I got from her.

I also read Diablo Cody's book - which is not just stripping but is also sex work... and it's a pretty great book. Again - all second hand knowledge.

The Eager Beaver is a strange club in that it does seem to run much more like a Burlesque show than a strip club... seeing that, as Gigitastic pointed out, Demi is never working the floor. That is THE ESSENCE of how you make any money at a club. The scenes where the dancers are just chilling back stage before they go on is not really how it works. You can certainly take breaks but if you want money you have to be wheeling and dealing the crowd. You need to be introducing yourself to customers and asking people if they want private dances and special services. Dancers, like many industries, absolutely rely on regular and returning customers. If you are a dancer, your bills are PAID if you have a guy who returns to see you over and over. My friend had at least one regular who showered her with gifts and money. She always said he was a businessman who did not have time for a girlfriend and preferred to just spend his time and money on strippers. He would get to know her by returning night after night... and also he got to see her naked regularly which apparently was enough for him.

POINT IS - she didn't make very much money on the center stage dances.

I have to reread Candy Girl it's so good. I have a copy around here somewhere in the many piles of books. I guess the one Regular Demi had was her stalker but he clearly was not wealthy. From what I read it's like your friend said Regulars are your lifeblood especially in smaller clubs.

I'm starting to think the Eager Beaver is really more of a bar that has Exotic Dancers instead of a Stripclub . From what I know of burlesque it's more abut putting on a show and it's kind of an act. Like there's showmanship. This is just... there are moves but it's nothing but weird stage dances. So it's almost like extreme Hooters. Come for the booze stay for the naked ladies. Even my beloved Showgirls has a (horrific head banging on a dick) VIP room lap dance scene.

I've never been to any kind of establishment nor would I want to (I personally find it very awkward because I know the women there are doing their job and I would feel weird ogling them and also I would just be like Burt Reynolds but with hand sanitizer because I feel like there must be germs everywhere)

• Like 3

Ok so Demi Moore wasn't a dancer for very long at the start of the movie right? How long was she working before Jerry became obsessed with her? Was he stalking some other poor dancer before her? Is she ok?Did he kill her to clear the way for his new obsession ?How long until he began to stalk Demi and take photos of her ? Is he following her home and taking photos or just when she leaves the club? Is that how he knows she has a daughter ? Did she tell him she lost custody ( If so why then fuck are you telling your patrons that you lost your child? That's just not smart. This woman worked for the FBI she should know basic safety procedures.)

I need to know if his other victims are ok.

• Like 2

re: Demi being an FBI agent, apparently at the end of the book Erin is working as a secretary, dancing at Disney at night and contemplating becoming an FBI agent (also Terminator 2 straight up is killed and Erin and the FBI blackmail the congressman).

I have very very very limited experience working as a strip club DJ. It would have been in 99-00 in a small Kansas club in a small Kansas college town.

Everything that I remember was done on the cheap (white Christmas lights lined the stage, I had to provide my own CDs, the couches for the "VIP" room were pretty cheap). I didn't stay long because, it wasn't really what I thought it was going to be. Here's what I remember.

the atmosphere among the dancers, shot girls, bartenders, bouncers, and DJs was very much a family. I heard stories of them having family dinners together, Christmas, etc.

$300-$500 seems about right from what I remember, but then their tops, bottoms, stockings, heels, etc all had to be purchased by the girls as well. They were also expected to have 3-4 different outfits a night. Honestly, between the percentage to the house and tipouts, shot girls would make as much than the dancers without having to take their clothes off (but having to flirt as much or more).

A few girls were working their way through college, some were doing it to support their family. There were a few girls that drove up from bigger cities to dance at the smaller clubs, either to get better on the pole or because their competition was a lot less so they could make a little more by working a little harder than the other girls.

As a DJ I was just as much responsible to help the girls get the dollars bills on stage as they were, but working the floor made you a lot more money.

The Eager Beaver was somewhere between a burlesque and a strip club, there were no big well practiced numbers, most of the time what I saw (again, small Kansas club, mostly untrained girls) was "sexy" walking, some pole work. If one particular patron was giving a lot of dollar bills out and was really making eye contact, the girl might go out and find him. Again the ones really wanting to make money would.

While they were expected to have different "outfits" it was basically lingerie or something. I remember one girl, today would be defined as "goth", always wore black, black hair, and liked to wear a collar. Super sweet girl though. She was the only one that I really remember and stood out. She was also really good at working on the floor.

Animals? No. No monkeys. No snakes. Kids? No. Congressmen? No. Cops swung by at least twice a night, sometimes more and just peek in to make sure everything was okay.

• Like 7

re: Demi being an FBI agent, apparently at the end of the book Erin is working as a secretary, dancing at Disney at night and contemplating becoming an FBI agent (also Terminator 2 straight up is killed and Erin and the FBI blackmail the congressman).

I almost forgot about the ending, her dancing at Disneyworld is the most unbelievable thing to happen in this movie. Anyone who says the FBI has strict or obtuse rules would be gobsmacked to hear about Disney's.

• Like 2

I'm starting to think the Eager Beaver is really more of a bar that has Exotic Dancers instead of a Stripclub . From what I know of burlesque it's more abut putting on a show and it's kind of an act. Like there's showmanship. This is just... there are moves but it's nothing but weird stage dances. So it's almost like extreme Hooters. Come for the booze stay for the naked ladies. Even my beloved Showgirls has a (horrific head banging on a dick) VIP room lap dance scene.

Reminds me of the Bada Bing from Sopranos.

Ok so Demi Moore wasn't a dancer for very long at the start of the movie right? How long was she working before Jerry became obsessed with her? Was he stalking some other poor dancer before her? Is she ok?Did he kill her to clear the way for his new obsession ?How long until he began to stalk Demi and take photos of her ? Is he following her home and taking photos or just when she leaves the club? Is that how he knows she has a daughter ? Did she tell him she lost custody ( If so why then fuck are you telling your patrons that you lost your child? That's just not smart. This woman worked for the FBI she should know basic safety procedures.)

I need to know if his other victims are ok.

I think June is right about him being a serial killer ... Jerry had Dahmeresque qualities about him. Outlook bleak.

• Like 3

The Eager Beaver was somewhere between a burlesque and a strip club, there were no big well practiced numbers, most of the time what I saw (again, small Kansas club, mostly untrained girls) was "sexy" walking, some pole work.

It's funny that both Showgirls and this movie portray exotic dancers as having heavily choreographed and teched dance routines. Although I am sure this kind of thing must exist somewhere, most strip clubs just have women who do slow seductive moving , walking, and acrobatics (like you mentioned EV). A person doing an entire routine would seem out of place. While on the other hand there are Burlesque shows and clubs, which are a little bit closer to what what is portrayed in this movie. A lot of times Burlesque is tongue in cheek or funny, but usually has a whole choreographed number. Women in Burlesque clubs would look ridiculous if they just slowly grinded.

This movie sort of marries the 2 styles.

What the girls of the Eager Beaver do is closer to something like The Thunder from Down Under.

• Like 4

I think at some point, the writers of this movie probably believed, misguidedly so, that this movie was going to be an empowering statement for women. Demi is the only non-cartoon character in the world, and her situation is so absurd, with the courts and the custody and the ex and the congressman, that it seems like its trying to show her lopsided fight against the unfairness of patriarchy and the Good ol Boy Network. Plus, she puts how she feels into her dances and backs them with the music from a musical feminist icon. But somewhere along the way, the movie couldn't make up its mind whether it wanted to be spoofy satire Showgirls or ultra-edgy Kramer vs. Kramer and it ended up with one of the worst portrayals of a woman's life ever captured on film.

• Like 4

oh shiiiiiitt

T-1000 broke his arm hanging out with Donald Trump!!

I love catching all the old refs that have new relevance today

Also, this movie is not good lol. 13 y/o me prob loved it, but def not now, lol

• Like 1

It's funny that both Showgirls and this movie portray exotic dancers as having heavily choreographed and teched dance routines. Although I am sure this kind of thing must exist somewhere, most strip clubs just have women who do slow seductive moving , walking, and acrobatics (like you mentioned EV). A person doing an entire routine would seem out of place. While on the other hand there are Burlesque shows and clubs, which are a little bit closer to what what is portrayed in this movie. A lot of times Burlesque is tongue in cheek or funny, but usually has a whole choreographed number. Women in Burlesque clubs would look ridiculous if they just slowly grinded.

This movie sort of marries the 2 styles.

What the girls of the Eager Beaver do is closer to something like The Thunder from Down Under.

I think it really depends on the city. Vegas, prob yeah. ATL....DJ Esco runs that shit

Reminds me of the Bada Bing from Sopranos.

I think June is right about him being a serial killer ... Jerry had Dahmeresque qualities about him. Outlook bleak.

Some guys just like to go down to the Courthouse and get that FOIA request, amirite?

He's definitely a corporate man...with his due diligence and all

• Like 1

Moving this over because I know a lot of commenters don't read the mini-threads...

Here's a request because suddenly I feel like it needs to be said... For C&Os can we not go into detail about which strip clubs people have been to? I understand that this is probably not an accurate representation of a real club, but I honestly don't need details nor images in my brain of anyone on here ogling topless women.

I will write the following the best that I can as it isn't my words, but that of my girlfriend's, who was a stripper (her preferred term), years before I met her. I basically asked her how this matched up in terms of how the women interacted with one another rather than the goings on in front of a crowd. Basically it was about what June was talking about in that the Demi Moore is representative of an outlier person who wouldn't want to be part of that close-knit group because she looks down on the profession, when there really isn't a need to, because they are wanting to look out for each other and encourage each other to do there best to make a living, which is all the job really is. Hell the women she worked with at her first club just had a ten year reunion party from when the club had closed and from the other stories she's told me, they all really helped each other through some trying times, which unfortunately doesn't really get disclosed in the media outside of documentaries.

Regarding the big fake boobs discussion. I actually talked to a porn actress I was internet friends with about her's, so if this is wrong, I'm just going by what she said to me, as it could vary from person to person.

Women with the comically large breast implants don't go comically large straight away. So, they'd start with a 34D for example, allowing the skin to stretch and heal to that new size, and then they'd move up to an E or F cup, and then gradually grow bigger and bigger, to prevent the skin from tearing. It's sort of like those gauges that stretch ears, but with big ass titties.

I was about to post a similar thing because I've had the privilege of meeting a number of porn stars, male, female, and trans, who have so far been nothing but incredibly nice and informative about their work and outside lives. One in particular actress I talked to was in Las Vegas while one of the adult conventions was going on and what I had originally wanted to know was what made her decide to go into the industry. She said that her husband and she talked about it for a while, and felt that since they were already swingers and fairly open about their sexuality, why not get paid for doing something they loved. She said after a couple years in the business she decided to increase her size and that her doctor recommended the gradual growth, rather than instantaneous because it could damage the skin and also the implants could come out basically looking like they did in the 80s as awkward boulders in her chest. She did say the only real complaint she had was having to buy custom bras know but it was a small price to pay for further enjoying her body and her work. I had asked if she wanted to go bigger, to which she did say yes but that the only place she would be able to do it was in South America because many states have laws one the amount of the implant solution a person can have in their body, and most doctors won't go much bigger than what she was already at, but she also said she wasn't going to risk her health and safety by going to an unregulated doctor to get the size she was thinking of.

One omission that I was surprised wasn't brought up in the show were the two stupid bodyguard of Burt Reynolds who believe that Ving Rhames was George Bush, and that he claimed that Meryl Streep was a stripper before she started acting, using a name like Frenchie Avalon if I recall. Considering Streep really started screen acting in 1976, that would mean Rhames has been a bouncer since he was 17, considering the fact that he was born in 1959.

Also, why did Michael Jordan think this would be a great film to cameo in, because that is him in the club when the dancer mentions he's at table 8. Was he just in Florida doing promotion for Space Jam and thought the cameo would be cool?

• Like 6

I mean, the movie is definitely terrible.

My biggest thing the movie couldn’t even make her an FBI agent. Not that there’s anything wrong with being an Administrative Assistant, but it’s such a deliberate decision on the writer’s part. She works in law enforcement, but not in a position where she could immediately parlay her experience into a better paying job elsewhere. At best, she could maybe get another job as an AA, but it won’t make her the money she needs.

The whole situation is just so calculated which only makes you realize how every gross decision in the movie is just as calculated. For me, that makes everything in the movie that much worse. This isn’t a case of a movie being bad because it was done on the fly. No, these people *thought hard* about it and this is what they came up with.

Well, she was recently a Navy Seal, so they had to tone it down. You can't have a Seal just 180 hardcore like that.

*thinking from a screenwriter's perspective

that the Demi Moore is representative of an outlier person who wouldn't want to be part of that close-knit group because she looks down on the profession. Also, why did Michael Jordan think this would be a great film to cameo in?

It didn't really feel like she was hating on the other girls; Her thoughts were motivated by what the judge would think.

On Jordan, no matter who you are, if someone asks you to cameo for a second and you'll get at least 20K+, you say yes. This may kind of be about stripping, but it's a legit hollywood movie. Secure the bag.

Let's talk Annie Lennox for a second:

edward-mapplethorpeannie-lennox-1989.jpg

If there's anything in this movie that indicates that this movie had at least some semblance of self-awareness during the rough draft stage, it's the fact that Erin dances exclusively to Annie Lennox.

Like living a shitty hotel, we didn't have MTV at my house growing up, but we had VH1, which dedicated a lot of airtime to her. She's a unique kind of rock star and feminist icon. She was almost 40 when she went solo, post-Eurythmics. She had short white hair and sang deep and soulfully. Her videos were artistic and thoughtful and genuine. Her look and style and tastes were very different from everything else out there, and especially everything I listened to. She just kinda represents everything about forgetting what you're supposed to be as a woman in rock and just doing your thing, through and through, and people really loved her around the time this music came out -- kinda riding the same Lilith Fair wave that lifted up Sarah McLachlan and Natalie Merchant, although she had already found her path in the business. She was weird and awesome.

So somehow, Erin's use of Lennox's music in this movie must have been intended to add some legitimacy to her pursuits in the adult entertainment business, or to help her transcend the stigma of her new profession in a way that might allow for a little bit of enlightenment to come from all of her struggling.

Although in the end, it's just another thing that the movie uses to separate her from the other dancers and places her above them -- her music and her dance is meant to elevate her above her station and those around her. Annie's music is sexy in an unusual, subtle way that's all her own. That could've been indicative of a quality that Erin embraces as a dancer and as a person. Or it could've represented a way for Erin to give the finger to the ridiculously awful men leading empty, devious lives while trying to shame her just because of her job. Or it could have been one big running joke, a hilarious juxtaposition between Lennox's meaningful music and the convoluted stupidity of Erin's situation. Instead, it is none of those things.

I'm just saying, Annie Lennox is better than this movie.

• Like 5

It didn't really feel like she was hating on the other girls; Her thoughts were motivated by what the judge would think.

On Jordan, no matter who you are, if someone asks you to cameo for a second and you'll get at least 20K+, you say yes. This may kind of be about stripping, but it's a legit hollywood movie. Secure the bag.

There were points though where she was doing what she could to not be a part of the group and disparaging the job in front of them, only proclaiming that the pay was great. She didn't hate the girls but really didn't do much to endear herself to the group outside of the story about her daughter.

Also, this was peak Chicago Bulls era Jordan, he was getting at least 50k for that two second cameo.

As for Carl Hiasen, I've always felt he was the poor man's Elmore Leonard, in that he could create some pretty off the wall and humorous stories mixed with crime and thriller elements, but he could never really sew it so perfectly like Leonard could.

• Like 1