🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
RyanSz

Spawn (2019)

This is already shaping up to be The Spirit all over again. Written and directed by the comic's creator Todd McFarlane, and starring Jamie Foxx as the titular character and a miscast Jeremy Renner as Detective Twitch Williams, this doesn't bode well. Not to mention that the character is nowhere near as popular as it was when the first film came out, the only chance this has turning a profit is because it's being produced by Blumhouse so the microbudget should be enough for it to make some money.

I'm not familiar with this comic at all and so I was curious as to why you believed Renner was miscast until I looked up the dude and so nevermind I get it now lol. Guy looks like Simon Pegg in that movie "A Fantastic Fear of Everything."

I'm not familiar with this comic at all and so I was curious as to why you believed Renner was miscast until I looked up the dude and so nevermind I get it now lol. Guy looks like Simon Pegg in that movie "A Fantastic Fear of Everything."

Yeah in the comic Twitch is a small, wiry, family man who most people completely underestimate. He uses this as a mechanism to disarm them during investigations and at times even his partner Sam, who is completely dumbfounded when he first meets Twitch's wife who was like a former beauty queen. Twitch is basically Terry/Gerry/Jerry from Parks and Rec but not actually a klutz.Twitch is also a excellent marksman and seen as the most skilled with a rifle and pistol in the entire NYPD, due to high level understanding of mathematics and trigonometry which gave him a prodigy-like understanding of shooting angles and scenarios, which I think is the only reason they cast Renner due to him playing Hawkeye. The only thing I can think that would make this somewhat okay is if they cast either Jim Belushi or John Goodman as Twitch's partner, Sam.

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to let Todd Mcfarlane write and direct this thing. Cannot wait to see if this ends up being better or worse than the one that came out in the 90's.

I have a feeling it was due to McFarlane basically not accepting any director they offered up to him to do the reboot, leaving him as the only option. I never had much of an issue with the original outside of how they changed the origin story and dated CGI, but this is already giving me cause for hesitation, especially seeing that McFarlane himself is making changes to the canon, if reports are to be believed, such as changing character names and situations. I think this will end up being a moment of a creator being too far into the forest to see the trees. Jamie Foxx is a pretty good choice for Spawn, so long as he isn't completely chewing up scenery, although after hearing that the actor who recently played Bushmaster in Luke Cage had tried to get the part, I feel that he would have been perfect for the role.

• Like 1

Jamie Foxx is one of few saving graces I see with this movie, but lets be honest theres no fucking way this isnt going to be a disaster.

Theres a reason Rob Liefeld didnt write/direct the Deadpool movies.

Whoa now, Liefeld has always been seen as a joke to comic fans, who's biggest character was a blatant ripoff of a DC and only improved upon by competent writers and artists. McFarlane on the other hand was a great artist and writer, though his quality has declined over the years, though I'm sure his directorial skill will leave a lot to be desired.

Now cut to next year where this film has earned a billion dollars, 100% RT score, and 10 Oscars.

Whoa now, Liefeld has always been seen as a joke to comic fans, who's biggest character was a blatant ripoff of a DC and only improved upon by competent writers and artists. McFarlane on the other hand was a great artist and writer, though his quality has declined over the years, though I'm sure his directorial skill will leave a lot to be desired.

Now cut to next year where this film has earned a billion dollars, 100% RT score, and 10 Oscars.

I'll amend, but the point still stands. Can you imagine the level of skepticism you would feel if the next Black Panther movie was written directed by Stan Lee?

Jamie Foxx is a pretty good choice for Spawn, so long as he isn't completely chewing up scenery, although after hearing that the actor who recently played Bushmaster in Luke Cage had tried to get the part, I feel that he would have been perfect for the role.

Omggg I LOVED THAT DUDE! He was fucking excellent in Luke Cage and now I'm a lil salty about this. I like Jamie Foxx as an actor but he was not that good in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 when he was actually with powers (I thought he did a good job of being the awkward guy before though).

I know this is a bit off topic, but wasn't Kevin Smith tapped to develop a Sam and Twitch TV series for like Amazon or something that would have nothing to do with Spawn?

Omggg I LOVED THAT DUDE! He was fucking excellent in Luke Cage and now I'm a lil salty about this. I like Jamie Foxx as an actor but he was not that good in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 when he was actually with powers (I thought he did a good job of being the awkward guy before though).

Jamie Foxx is a bit old to be playing Spawn, Bushmaster would have been an infinitely better choice. Also Jamie Foxx seems like a dickhead so I really can't root for him.