🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 192.5 - Minisode 192.5

I’ve always thought meatloaf would do anything for love - not necessarily for the woman in the song. Like he might fall in love with another lady, but he won’t cheat on the current lady. So he would at leave a note before running off to Acapulco with his dental hygienist and it would get him out of technically cheating. I just don’t find him sincere at all in this song and he’s building in escape clauses in his promises.

Et tu, Tom?

• Like 5

Yes, but the song is structured as a dialogue. We just don’t hear her side of the conversation until the end. The whole thing is him assuring her of his affection. So while your sentences might not work for you, you have to place them in context of their hypothetical conversation where he’s putting restrictions on his undying love.

Meatloaf: I would do anything for love.

Her: Would you steal?

Meatloaf: Yes.

Her: Murder?

Meatloaf: Yes.

Her: Peg.

Meatloaf: ...yes.

Her: Forget about this moment?

Meatloaf: I would do anything for love, but I won’t do that.

If you ignore that context, it makes no sense. It’s why the song starts “And I would do anything for love.” Not only is he starting mid conversation, he’s starting in mid sentence.

So, no, “and” doesn’t make sense. Or, at least, it would be redundant.

For example:

“I would do anything for love, *and* I won't fuck someone else better than I fuck you.”

“And” doesn’t work because “not fucking someone better” is already covered in “anything.” “But” works because he’s qualifying what “anything” covers. “I know I’m saying I’d do anything for love, BUT there are actually a few things I won’t do.”

I thought it was a song about a woman who was asking him to cheat WITH her? Like one of them was in a relationship already and he's like ".. I love you but I won't cheat. So you better break up with whats his face" For all I know this is a song he sang to an actual meatloaf and he's thinking about becoming vegan so *shrugs*

• Like 5

I would love it if somewhere right now Meatloaf's manager is on the phone with him explaining that then has been a sudden surge in people searching and talking about him all thanks to this thread.

• Like 5

I’ve always thought meatloaf would do anything for love - not necessarily for the woman in the song. Like he might fall in love with another lady, but he won’t cheat on the current lady. So he would at leave a note before running off to Acapulco with his dental hygienist and it would get him out of technically cheating. I just don’t find him sincere at all in this song and he’s building in escape clauses in his promises.

In this song I think he's the brother of the Paradise by the Dashboard Light singer. He sees that guy being miserable for the rest of his life because of one moment of lust. He's saying he would do it but had better have a good reason.

• Like 3

I would love it if somewhere right now Meatloaf's manager is on the phone with him explaining that then has been a sudden surge in people searching and talking about him all thanks to this thread.

Good guests for the first "How Did This Get Sung?" podcast episode.

• Like 4