đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
taylor anne photo

Your Updated AFI List

4 hours ago, Quasar Sniffer said:

If we're talking lasting impact and universal acclaim, how about the 1978 Superman? It's still remembered as the pinnacle of Superman on screen, even the definitive version among comic book fans, who sometimes look for Christopher Reeve in the Superman comics I try to sell them.

Superman is truly something else. Reeves performance as Superman/Clark Kent is so good. There's the scene in one of the movies (not sure which one) where you see him switch between the personas as he's deciding to reveal his identity to Lois and you see the physicality of it all. You can see why friends and coworkers don't figure out that Clark Kent is just Superman in glasses.

But more than that, I really do get lost in believing he can fly. I know the tagline is "You will believe a man can fly" but I really do believe it. I don't see the wires and the fan blowing his cape. I see Superman. Maybe it's just a holdover from seeing it as a kid but I'm still in awe of those flying scenes.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, grudlian. said:

Would anyone think Black Panther is a possible contender?

Yes, possible. But too early for consideration right now.

• Like 1

By the by, both the original Richard Donner Superman and Joss Whedon's Avengers have come up on Amy's other podcast The Canon and both were voted in. The Dark Knight never came up for a vote yet, so that would be an interesting one (though I get the feeling Amy isn't interested in doing it).

13 hours ago, CameronH said:

Exactly. I don’t particularly like it, but it best fits the criteria.

Not liking it is a problem for another discussion because that's bonkers :P

Also if the AFI begins to pay attention to Oscar nominees rather than just winners then Logan would make the conversation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

Also if the AFI begins to pay attention to Oscar nominees rather than just winners then Logan would make the conversation.

I don't know. Shawshank didn't win an Academy Award for anything. Both Shawshank and Logan won some other awards, though. So maybe that counts?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CameronH said:

I don't know. Shawshank didn't win an Academy Award for anything. Both Shawshank and Logan won some other awards, though. So maybe that counts?

Wow, holy shit, I didn't actually know that. I've been going through my whole life assuming it won all these awards.

My whole life is a lie.

ETA: It didn't even get inducted into the Library of Congress until 2015. AFI IS A FRAUD.

• Like 1

Yea, the rule isn't necessarily 'Oscar winner' just 'Major award winner',  From wikipedia:

AFI asked jurors to consider the following criteria in their selection process:

Feature length: Narrative format typically over 60 minutes long.

American film: English language, with significant creative and/or financial production from the United States. (A number of films on the list were British-made but financed by American studios; these include Lawrence of Arabia, The Bridge on the River Kwai, and A Clockwork Orange.)

Critical recognition: Formal commendation in print, television, and digital media.

Major award winner: Recognition from competitive events including awards from peer groups, critics, guilds, and major film festivals.

Popularity over time: Includes success at the box office, television and cable airings, and DVD/VHS sales and rentals.

Historical significance: A film's mark on the history of the moving image through visionary narrative devices, technical innovation or other groundbreaking achievements.

Cultural impact: A film's mark on American society in matters of style and substance.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Historical significance: A film's mark on the history of the moving image through visionary narrative devices, technical innovation or other groundbreaking achievements.

I swear to God if Avatar makes it in I'm going to riot.

• Like 2

Well they missed the 10-year update last year so maybe the AFI has given up on these lists?

EDIT:

I googled it real quick and there's a handful of articles in 2017 assuming a new update was coming.  One even quoted the AFI President saying they'll 'announce something soon'...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/will-citizen-kane-stay-no-1-afis-list-100-best-movies-1045408

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Well they missed the 10-year update last year so maybe the AFI has given up on these lists?

They may come out with a revised list for the 25th anniversary.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2018 at 6:22 PM, sycasey 2.0 said:

As I recall, the big surprise was that Stallone didn't win for Creed. 

Personally, though I'd love to see Ruffalo win an acting Oscar (for anything), I really liked Rylance in Bridge of Spies, so I didn't mind that surprise win.

I thought I had responded to this but I missed it whoops.

Yeah Stallone was the heavy favorite going in to that night, but I honestly thought Rylance's performance was kinda phoned in compared to other things I've seen him in. I liked that movie but it just didn't wow me at all so I was pretty shocked that he won. But I remember when whoever presented the award said "Mark..." there was a bit of a pause and I for SURE thought it was going to Ruffalo and after seeing Spotlight I wish it had. As much as I loved Stallone in Creed, Ruffalo's performance was definitely award worthy.

Just browsed through my whole collection for ideas. Inception and Birdman are my only answers that fit the “post-2007” requirement.

The other one that struck me was Back to the Future.

For removal, I’ll probably makes some enemies for this, but I’d remove Chinatown and 2001 (although i’ll confess to only having seen the latter on the small screen, something I hope to change one day) for being overrated and Sixth Sense for not belonging on the list at all.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2018 at 12:29 PM, taylorannephoto said:

They may come out with a revised list for the 25th anniversary.

The BFI has been doing their Sight & Sound Critics' poll every 10 years since 1952.  I suspect they're using that as their reference point.

And to answer the question, for me, I'd expand the time horizon to 2001 to include Mulholland Drive.

Otherwise, for me, No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood come to mind as obvious contenders.  However, googling, I thought the top 100 was compiled from members choosing 10 movies.  It looks like it's people listing their top 5 in order, and then listing 95 others, unordered.  That... would really lower the bar for what I'd consider putting on my list.