đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 44 Easter Parade

14 hours ago, kateacola said:

I know I somewhat mentioned in the last thread, but there was a nod to the Top Hat dance number where Ginger wore the dress with the feathers.

Astaire really hated that dress... I wonder if it was his idea to parody it in Easter Parade?

http://prettycleverfilms.com/costume-design-film-fashion/ginger-rogers-the-infamous-feather-gown/#.W1-g0VBKg2w

Dumb question.  Which number in Easter Parade had her shedding feathers?  I guess I tuned out or something as I don't remember it.

15 hours ago, Quasar Sniffer said:

One thing I found I really enjoyed was the slow-motion sequence with Astaire isolated from the normal-speed dancers. It was obviously a process shot, but I just thought it was so fun seeing this emerging technology being used and wondered at by the filmmakers. You know, like a little piece of cinema history. I don't know if this was the first time such slow motion effects were used, but it was still neat witnessing their emergence.

Also, from IMDb:

Fuuuuuck you, Reese.

She also danced in red ballet shoes for her nightclub dance with Fred Astaire so she wouldn't tower over him.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tomspanks said:

Re: Don's age, I totally think they were trying to age him down by a lot.  Not only is his friend a college student (although he seemed like a professional student, so he could've been in his late 20s, early 30s), Amazon described him as a "rising Broadway star."  Doesn't that sound like someone in their 20s?    

IMDB says Frank Sinatra was originally cast to play Jonathan.  Maybe that would have softened the age gap some.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cinco DeNio said:

She also danced in red ballet shoes for her nightclub dance with Fred Astaire so she wouldn't tower over him.

Oh I totally noticed they kept Ann Miller in flats whenever she had to dance with Fred Astaire.  Even Judy Garland wore flats a few times.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cinco DeNio said:

I wasn't thinking of Happy Easter but The Girl from the Magazine Cover reminded me of the fashion dress montage in Singing in the Rain (and I liked Singing's better).

That scene reminded me of Singin' in the Rain too.  And the scene where Don stacks the drums on that kid in the toy store also reminded me of this scene in Singin' in the Rain:

AiqanE3.png?1

Basically everything is Singin' in the Rain.  

• Like 4

I'm seeing the movie that shall not be named (not baked beans, the other one) tomorrow night at 7 in the theater.  Looking forward to it with trepidation.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Dumb question.  Which number in Easter Parade had her shedding feathers?  I guess I tuned out or something as I don't remember it.

It was this one : 

• Thanks 1

Something I really enjoy about Irving Berlin is how even if you’ve never heard a song before, you almost intuitively know the lyrics. That might sound like a slight, like I’m calling his songs “simple” or something, but that’s not my intention. It takes a remarkable amount of craftsmanship to make something seem so effortless.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, kateacola said:

It was this one : 

Thanks!  I saw that one (I remembered his complaining) but missed the feathers.

480b6216b16fb1a21acc318c3d805f53.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CameronH said:

Something I really enjoy about Irving Berlin is how even if you’ve never heard a song before, you almost intuitively know the lyrics. That might sound like a slight, like I’m calling his songs “simple” or something, but that’s not my intention. It takes a remarkable amount of craftsmanship to make something seem so effortless.

Does he have a song for every state?  This movie gave us ones for Michigan and Alabama.  (Pretty sure I've heard the Alabam one before but can't place it.)

• Like 1

So Nadine was set up as having a cadre of dogs, but later in the Easter Parade, there were no dogs in bonnets or costumes!  The Easter parade in NYC these days also involve elaborate costumes for the dogs.  I think people back then were missing out though.  What's better than pups in bonnets?

• Like 2

Was anyone disappointed that we never actually saw them at the Easter Parade? The whole move is about how Garland is going to turn heads and be the big shot at the next parade, but when that day comes, we don't actually see it. Maybe we're supposed to feel like they've grown to a point where it doesn't matter any more, but I feel like the movie's kind of lightweight for that kind of a message.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, CameronH said:

Was anyone disappointed that we never actually saw them at the Easter Parade? The whole move is about how Garland is going to turn heads and be the big shot at the next parade, but when that day comes, we don't actually see it. Maybe we're supposed to feel like they've grown to a point where it doesn't matter any more, but I feel like the movie's kind of lightweight for that kind of a message.

Plus, I kind of wish they had a meet-cute at the first Easter Parade to give it more importance to the overall plot.  

And I had no idea that an entire year had passed until it was time for another Easter Parade.  You could've told me that the movie had taken place in a week and I would've believed it.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, CameronH said:

You're right. Also not to bring it up again but if we'd also seen Nadine walking her dogs and basically being ignored compared to Judy Garland that would have been something as well. I guess the idea is suppose to be "she went from nobody and now two guys took her picture."

• Like 1

Well, Across the Universe was very interesting.  I will go back to the thread and read through it.  Didn't much care for Evan Rachel Wood here (nor in Westworld) but isn't Jim Sturgess Gerard Butler's brother in GEEEOOOSTORMMMMMMM!?

Edited by Cinco DeNio
Added link
  • Like 1