🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
armsaroundparis

Kate & Leopold (2001)

Before Hugh Jackman and Liev Schreiber starred as related X-Men rivals they were time-traveling related rivals for the heart of Meg Ryan in Kate & Leopold.

I can not stress enough that you MUST watch the Director's Cut of this movie, as the plot point (spoiler alert for that link!) that was edited out of the theatrical version is so glaringly problematic it's unbelievable that it wasn't caught & cut before it was shot. Beyond that there are literally dozens of other anachronisms, continuity and factual errors thanks to shoddy research.

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more! It would be perfect for the show. I watched this last year. This is what I said on Letterboxd:

Look I get what you're trying to do, but it's not working - at all. 

Honestly, it would take far too long for me to get into all of the issues with this movie. Let's just say, if you're going to write a movie about a person displaced in time, at least do the minimum amount of research necessary about the time period your character is supposedly from so that every time your dumb character opens his stupid mouth it isn't something verifiably untrue. (He invented the elevator? Really?)

Also, it's the "space-time continuum," motherfuckers. When you say "time-space continuum" I want to stick ice picks in my freaking ears.

God's Wounds! Wolverine, Sabertooth, and the guy who directed <i>Logan</i> are better than this...

• Like 1

I was discussing this movie somewhere else recently. I cant fucking believe they had Schreiber and Jackman being related to each other and not realizing the issues with that. 

My big issue is the ending which supposes that a woman from the 20th century would AT ALL want to go back in time and live in the late 1800's because who needs things like modern medicine or the right to vote. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CameronH said:

I couldn't agree more! It would be perfect for the show. I watched this last year. This is what I said on Letterboxd:

Alas, I can't figure out how to include your whole quote in the quote here, but you absolutely nailed it!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ofcoursemyhorse said:

I was discussing this movie somewhere else recently. I cant fucking believe they had Schreiber and Jackman being related to each other and not realizing the issues with that. 

My big issue is the ending which supposes that a woman from the 20th century would AT ALL want to go back in time and live in the late 1800's because who needs things like modern medicine or the right to vote. 

RIGHT?! Thank you! 

There's so much wrong with the idea that a modern woman would choose to give up everything - family, friends, and her entire career - to go back to a time when women effectively were property/decoration with little to no rights. Beyond that, the notion that she'd willingly give up the internet (even in its earlier days), toilets, showers, antibacterial soap, and tampons.... just no. No way. I refuse to buy it.

• Like 1

I would submit that the biggest reason this movie needs to happen is that a major plot point involves Meg Ryan meeting a TIME TRAVELER and then deciding that the most natural thing to do is cast him in a commercial for a butter substitute.