đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Thrillhouse88

Is HDTGM just doing live episodes now?

I'm probably in the minority here, but I miss the episodes recorded in the studio. It seems like it's been forever since we've had one. 

• Like 1

I think the last one they did was Beautiful Creatures, but yeah, for all intents and purposes, I think it’s mostly live now.

From what I understand, and I can’t remember where I heard/read this so please take it with a grain of salt, their schedules are often too busy to get everyone in the studio. It’s easier for them to schedule one night and knock out two episodes (essentially a month’s worth of HDTGM) than try to get together every two weeks for only one episode. Of course, they could always just record a few episodes while in-studio, but I think they like the energy of a live audience. 

I get that a lot of people prefer studio eps, but I think it’s a natural consequence of their rising careers. I’m happy that they’re doing well. I think what amazes me is just how reliable they are. There was a time around Monkey Shines where their episodes would be WEEKS late. Granted, I think that was around the time June and Paul had their first child, but since that time, they’ve been remarkably on schedule. The fact that you can count on a new episode dropping every two weeks is absolutely amazing!

• Like 6

No, I didn't feel like you were complaining at all. The studio episodes are fantastic. I like the atmosphere in them because instead of trying to make an audience laugh they just seem to be trying to make each other laugh - which is absolutely endearing.

• Like 1

Sometimes it's clear that we're listening to an episode that is more than a month old. And yeah, I think that's about scheduling. They have a couple of free weeks, so they schedule four live episodes within that time, which has them covered for two months.

I suspect there will be some studio episodes still peppered in here and there, but live episodes are clearly the new normal.

• Like 1

On the Gilmore Guys podcast that Jason showed up alot on, the hosts stated that Jason preferred the live audience over a studio one. Based on that, I think the hosts prefer it too. And if they are traveling and not at Largo in LA, they can make it a weekend (2 nights) and do 2 months worth of episodes. 

• Like 3

I was reading a part of an interview with Jerry Seinfeld the other day and the interviewer asked him why he only uses Twitter to promote his work and not tell jokes. Seinfeld replied that he didn’t see the point because he wouldn’t be able to hear the audience’s laughter - which is ultimately the point of being a comedian. He also pointed out that live audiences allow him to better gauge what works and what doesn’t. I’m not saying that’s what’s going on with the HDTGM crew, but it makes a lot of sense.

• Like 2

I assume there is also an issue of getting paid for doing the show. A paying audience brings them some money that they are probably not making from studio episodes. Podcasts are generally not a big money making endeavor.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CameronH said:

I was reading a part of an interview with Jerry Seinfeld the other day and the interviewer asked him why he only uses Twitter to promote his work and not tell jokes. Seinfeld replied that he didn’t see the point because he wouldn’t be able to hear the audience’s laughter - which is ultimately the point of being a comedian. He also pointed out that live audiences allow him to better gauge what works and what doesn’t. I’m not saying that’s what’s going on with the HDTGM crew, but it makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, all of them are performers first and foremost. When they started this podcast it was just for the three of them (and the guest), but now they're so popular that they are really performing for all of us. Of course they wouldn't be doing it if they didn't still want to do it for themselves but now that they can sell out shows in 5 minutes why not continue to do sold out shows?

• Like 2

In the beginning, I vastly preferred the studio, but somewhere along the way, I got really used to the live eps and now prefer them.  I think they all just have such good chemistry, not just with each other, but with the audiences too. I like the extra dimension an audience gives to the discussions.

• Like 2

Depending on the movie and the guests, I can go either way. Some are better live, some are better in studio. But you can't fault them for wanting to charge 35 bucks a pop and fill out a massive theater like the Paramount in Austin. That Bonobos money can only go so far.