🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
DaltonMaltz

Episode 561 - Poke Mitzvah

Comedic powerhouse and show friend Andy Richter of Conan returns to talk to Scott about secret beach hideouts, creepy cartoons, and his deep knowledge of pop culture. Plus, Pokémon trainer Dash Grabum reappears to discuss his new strategy for catching monsters, and emergency responder Hekla Jonsdottir stops by to offer a stern message against reckless tourism.

Dash Grabum!  I never get tired of hearing an astonished Scott and guest(s) reacting to Zach masterfully explaining the actual mechanics of the Pokémon games.

Also, Blastoise shall now forever be pronounced /'blæstwa/.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, yeahtoast! said:

Also, Blastoise shall now forever be pronounced /'blæstwa/.

Is it actually pronounced "Blast-oys", like it's spelled?  Because it seems like it's based on "tortoise" and should be "Blast-us", right?

I'm glad Tawny (great charac, BTW) was on this episode since she previously appeared on an Off Book ep with a lot of Pokemon talk and is clearly amused by it.

15 hours ago, Kickpuncher said:

Is it actually pronounced "Blast-oys", like it's spelled?  Because it seems like it's based on "tortoise" and should be "Blast-us", right?

Yeah, "Blast-oys" is correct.  Their names are pronounced like they look, not based on their portmanteau roots.  Generally.  Some portmanteaus are clumsier than others.

• Like 1

Oh my god Dash Grabum is the best!

I'm a new CBB listener. The Jon Hamm episode was my first. Since then I have been hooked! It's so good to here Dash Grabum again, continue to subjugate those pocket monsters!

Much love to Andy and the great host Scott Podcasterman 

:)

• Like 1

On 8/20/2018 at 7:10 PM, Kickpuncher said:

It really just depends on regional dialect like in Louisiana and Northern NY/Maine they pronounce it Blastwah like the French pronunciation and in the West and Midwest and Florida it's pronounced Blastus and in the Northeast and Detroit it's pronounced Blastoys like "You Guys." In Japan since they don't have an L in the alphabet they decided to just translate it literally as カメックス (katakana) which is pronounced like Kamecks. I'm not sure of the Hiragana spelling but it still doesn't have an L.

• Like 1