🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
DaltonMaltz

Covers Of R.E.M. with Jason Mantzoukas

Comedian, actor and co-host of How Did This Get Made? Jason Mantzoukas joins Adam Scott Aukerman to discuss the best covers of R.E.M.’s discography. Jason talks about his journey in and out of the fandom, the importance of lyrics vs. vocals, and his Top 10 R.E.M. songs. Plus, we’ll find out what Adam would have named his band before they get into the best R.E.M. covers out there.

Look, I realize that there's no longer any sound coming out of my earbuds, but I refuse to accept that the episode is over until I hear Adam say "Byyyeee!"

(Also, if they want to play a bed of Replacements music under every episode, the show would improve by 5% in my book.)

• Like 1

Adam's moment of realization after getting aggravated with Scott's dismissal of "Houston" and "Mr. Richards" from Scott's super-album mix is one of the finest moments of this whole endeavor they've created here.

• Like 4

I may be biased (I love Rogue Wave), but that cover of "The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite" (on the Stereogum tribute album) is the best! I saw Rogue Wave at a great house show recently, and they played "Shaking Through." Here's the video: 

• Like 1

Jason's love of MBV and vocals-as-instruments got me jazzed for a Cocteau Twins sidebar that never came. Hey, can the next podcast be about Cocteau Twins please? Thanks.

• Like 1

Cry Cry Cry! One of my favorite one-off bands (folkies Dar Williams, Richard Shindell and Lucy Kaplansky) get some love from the podcast. I know there are a ton of other covers out there, way too many to fit on one podcast, but two I would have liked to hear were End of the World by Great Big Sea, and Sweetness Follows by Kathleen Edwards.

• Like 1

Maybe it's the Canadian in me but I was pretty surprised to not hear Great Big Sea's take on End of the World in this episode.

• Like 1