🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 195.5 - Minisode 195.5

The perfect spot for nature and good wine, the Spider-Man connection to Never Too Young To Die, and much more on a new mini-sode! Paul goes through Corrections and Omissions for Never Too Young to Die, gives a special recommendation during Paul’s Picks, and the Movie Bitches review Skyscraper. Plus, the next movie to get the HDTGM treatment!

Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson here: http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/

Check out our new website over at www.hdtgminfo.com!

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli…wdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

@PaulScheer on Instagram & Twitter 

@Junediane on IG and @MsJuneDiane on Twitter 

Jason is still not on Twitter 

Everyone needs to follow Paul's advice and buy a ticket for Crazy Rich Asians. But everyone should actually see it. Then go see The Meg however you want.

Guys. The stickers on podswag! I want a whole sheet of “how’s yo dick?” and “where does the butt start?”. 

I feel feel like a bad fan but what is the horse tapes one from?

• Like 2

I'm not saying that it didn't take some time to get used to, but personally, I've been loving the new forum setup. 

Well done and thank you to Shannon and everybody else involved in the upgrade :)

• Like 4

Okay, my "Make Paul laugh" streak continues, but barely.  Got a little chuckle when he saw the part about the lingerie store.  So I'm good with that.

I just heard the phone call where Gene Simmons claims to have created the devil horns. He didn't. It predates him by thousands of years as part of Hinduism. But maybe he popularized it in the US? Or in heavy metal music? He also didn't do that either and wikipedia goes into the history of it. Gene Simmons, you are a complete tool.

55 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I just heard the phone call where Gene Simmons claims to have created the devil horns. He didn't. It predates him by thousands of years as part of Hinduism. But maybe he popularized it in the US? Or in heavy metal music? He also didn't do that either and wikipedia goes into the history of it. Gene Simmons, you are a complete tool.

Oddly enough, I went into it in the main thread.  Ronnie James Dio claims that he brought it to metal, because of his grandmother using it.  It's prevelent in Italian culture, and he thought it looked cool.

James Hetfield think's it's Spiderman.

8 hours ago, Smigg. said:

Oddly enough, I went into it in the main thread.  Ronnie James Dio claims that he brought it to metal, because of his grandmother using it.  It's prevelent in Italian culture, and he thought it looked cool.

James Hetfield think's it's Spiderman.

My bad. I didn't realize it was already covered since I didn't go into the main thread much this week. But any chance to dump on a legit terrible person like Gene Simmons is fine with me.

18 hours ago, grudlian. said:

My bad. I didn't realize it was already covered since I didn't go into the main thread much this week. But any chance to dump on a legit terrible person like Gene Simmons is fine with me.

Don't worry about it, dump away :D

• Like 1

Not to shit on the heavy metal fans but the University of Texas has been using that symbol to represent "Hook Em Horns" since the 1950s.

53 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

Not to shit on the heavy metal fans but the University of Texas has been using that symbol to represent "Hook Em Horns" since the 1950s.

According to wikipedia, hook em horns started in the 1930s...at University Of Minnesota?!

55 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

College football and George W. Bush: the classiest partnership!
20060214_p021406pm-0169-515h.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grudlian. said:

According to wikipedia, hook em horns started in the 1930s...at University Of Minnesota?!

No they started the "Hook 'em [Enter mascot here]" phrase but not the symbol of the longhorns because they weren't longhorns.

10 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

If anything, it helps when you have to deal with moralistic busy bodies saying "They're worshipping the devil!  Those are devil horns!  And when you look and the positions of the fingers, you see it right there, it's 6... 6... 6.... this is clearly the devil's music!"

9 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

No they started the "Hook 'em [Enter mascot here]" phrase but not the symbol of the longhorns because they weren't longhorns.

This makes a lot of sense. The wikipedia article is kind of vague and just says they didn't trademark the slogan or hand symbol. And I'm wondering why they had horns for a gopher mascot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Smigg. said:

If anything, it helps when you have to deal with moralistic busy bodies saying "They're worshipping the devil!  Those are devil horns!  And when you look and the positions of the fingers, you see it right there, it's 6... 6... 6.... this is clearly the devil's music!"

tenor.gif?itemid=3574531

3 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3574531

I wish the contents of that can just emptied out into her face.  The stupid old bat.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3574531

God that woman brings up bad childhood memories of some of the moms I dealt with when I went to a Christian private school from 2nd-6th grade. As for the horns I remember Dio gave an interview where he credited his grandmother with the symbol, which she would use in a "mind your manners because I'm watching you" kind of way. In regards to other hand gestures, I'm sure Smigg is aware of the Too Sweet controversy in regards to a hand signal used by a variety of wrestling factions including the NWO, Degeneration-X, and the Bullet Club, only for the latter to be given a cease and desist order from the WWE who apparently trademarked the gesture, but that has come under questions as there are numerous colleges that use the signal and the original wrestler who used it, Kevin Nash, said he started so after he saw Turkish gangsters using it during one of the WWE tours in Europe in the 90s and thought it looked cool. In other words, people are weird when it comes to hand signals.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RyanSz said:

God that woman brings up bad childhood memories of some of the moms I dealt with when I went to a Christian private school from 2nd-6th grade. As for the horns I remember Dio gave an interview where he credited his grandmother with the symbol, which she would use in a "mind your manners because I'm watching you" kind of way. In regards to other hand gestures, I'm sure Smigg is aware of the Too Sweet controversy in regards to a hand signal used by a variety of wrestling factions including the NWO, Degeneration-X, and the Bullet Club, only for the latter to be given a cease and desist order from the WWE who apparently trademarked the gesture, but that has come under questions as there are numerous colleges that use the signal and the original wrestler who used it, Kevin Nash, said he started so after he saw Turkish gangsters using it during one of the WWE tours in Europe in the 90s and thought it looked cool. In other words, people are weird when it comes to hand signals.

Funny you bring up nWo, because I remember Alex Jones losing his shit about them.  He basically said "THEY'RE DOING THIS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE!!  They make a group, call them the New World Order, and they put Hulk Hogan in it to make everybody like them!  They want you to like the idea of a New World Order!  It's happening folks, it's happening, and they're showing you exactly how they're gonna do it!"  One little caveat that Alex didn't understand... they were the bad guys.

It was also around the time when they introduced Zeb Coulter as Jack Swagger's Tea Party Lunatic manager.  "They're making the Americans the bad guys, they're making the American guy look stupid, and have the Mexican beat him, it's to make people look at America like we're the dopes, and to embrace globalism!"  One little caveat that Alex didn't understand... Swagger, despite being the villain, was supposed to be dominant, but the idiot got caught in a DWI and a car full of weed 2 weeks before WrestleMania, and they just wrote him off.  Swagger and Coulter later became good guys when there were "Russian" villains.

But, it was hilarious, how the WWF made up the nWo for people to like the idea of a one world government, when the WWF didn't have anything to do with it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Smigg. said:

Funny you bring up nWo, because I remember Alex Jones losing his shit about them.  He basically said "THEY'RE DOING THIS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE!!  They make a group, call them the New World Order, and they put Hulk Hogan in it to make everybody like them!  They want you to like the idea of a New World Order!  It's happening folks, it's happening, and they're showing you exactly how they're gonna do it!"  One little caveat that Alex didn't understand... they were the bad guys.

It was also around the time when they introduced Zeb Coulter as Jack Swagger's Tea Party Lunatic manager.  "They're making the Americans the bad guys, they're making the American guy look stupid, and have the Mexican beat him, it's to make people look at America like we're the dopes, and to embrace globalism!"  One little caveat that Alex didn't understand... Swagger, despite being the villain, was supposed to be dominant, but the idiot got caught in a DWI and a car full of weed 2 weeks before WrestleMania, and they just wrote him off.  Swagger and Coulter later became good guys when there were "Russian" villains.

But, it was hilarious, how the WWF made up the nWo for people to like the idea of a one world government, when the WWF didn't have anything to do with it.

Yeah I think it's safe to say Jones' hamster wheel is spinning but the hamster is dead. Bringing back the Christian school I went to, they also had a similar problem with the NWO, which was huge when I was in the 3rd/4th grade because of that also being the supposed name for when the Antichrist takes shit over. I was kind of bummed that Swagger blew his big push because of how well it was working and riling up the crowds, similar to when Rob Van Dam was removed from being World Champ for also being pulled over and having weed on him. Also what did Jones have to say when Zeb Colter kept his group going but with Mexican wrestler Alberto Del Rio and Swede Cesaro?

5 hours ago, RyanSz said:

Yeah I think it's safe to say Jones' hamster wheel is spinning but the hamster is dead. Bringing back the Christian school I went to, they also had a similar problem with the NWO, which was huge when I was in the 3rd/4th grade because of that also being the supposed name for when the Antichrist takes shit over. I was kind of bummed that Swagger blew his big push because of how well it was working and riling up the crowds, similar to when Rob Van Dam was removed from being World Champ for also being pulled over and having weed on him. Also what did Jones have to say when Zeb Colter kept his group going but with Mexican wrestler Alberto Del Rio and Swede Cesaro?

Jones didn't say anything, because it didn't fit the agenda.

I do remember a segment on The Daily Show, when John Oliver did pretty much the only thing I ever enjoyed him doing, when he was watching a match on Raw where the commentators were talking about Coulter aligning with Cesaro, and they said something along the lines of "Well, I thought Coulter didn't want foreign people coming into the country, but now he's okay with it when they're doing his bidding like Cesaro?!" and Oliver is sat there stunned saying "What is this thing that's being said on television?!  Why is professional wrestling having the most nuanced and reasonable debate about immigration?!"

Sometimes you get the best news/discussion from the oddest places. I can say that for the past couple years I've been using Know Your Meme.com to get my news, because while it started as just a directory of various memes and their history, it's evolved into covering various news and major topics in a way that isn't slanted one way or another and is pretty well researched and sourced.

6 hours ago, RyanSz said:

Sometimes you get the best news/discussion from the oddest places. I can say that for the past couple years I've been using Know Your Meme.com to get my news, because while it started as just a directory of various memes and their history, it's evolved into covering various news and major topics in a way that isn't slanted one way or another and is pretty well researched and sourced.

That's why I've all but given up on television news, because the exact same story is told in completely opposite ways depending on the channel you watch, and it's getting worse.