đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
JulyDiaz

Episode 196.5 - Minisode 196.5

Weird Tinder dates, a correspondent from China, and much more on a new mini-sode! Paul goes through Corrections and Omissions for The Meg, opens up the Mail Bag, and the Movie Bitches review Crazy Rich Asians. Plus, the next movie to get the HDTGM treatment!

Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson here: http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/

Check out our new website over at www.hdtgminfo.com!

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli…wdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

@PaulScheer on Instagram & Twitter 

@Junediane on IG and @MsJuneDiane on Twitter 

Jason is still not on Twitter 

Katie... No girl. No. You need to ghost him.  NOW! There's being kinky and there's demanding you say you have a life altering diseases people die from. What's next? smallpox or he is only into STI's? I mean I know my all time favorite bad movie Showgirls has the line "Everybody got AIDS and shit" but if your gonna try roleplaying Showgirls there's so many better moments. 

• Like 5

Kinkshaming is not a thing. When you really think about it, it's a term used to pressure people into sex they don't want to have. Life is too short to have sex you don't like.  Also, if he's yelling about his AIDS fantasy this early in the hook-up, chances are this dude is into more stuff you may not be into. Leave this dude ASAP, Katie. 

1 minute ago, HalloweenInJanuary said:

Kinkshaming is not a thing. When you really think about it, it's a term used to pressure people into sex they don't want to have. Life is too short to have sex you don't like.  Also, if he's yelling about his AIDS fantasy this early in the hook-up, chances are this dude is into more stuff you may not be into. Leave this dude ASAP, Katie. 

I would be careful there because it is a thing, however it's typically a thing done by conservative outside parties not cool with how consenting adults have fun in the bedroom. This wouldn't be kinkshaming because if Katie doesn't like this then that's her decision and not shaming the dude at all. Although one would argue maybe we should shame this dude's kink cause that's crossing a line in my opinion. But everything else I agree with. Life is too short for bad sex, and this dude sounds like danger.

Katie please leave him.

latest?cb=20130707145006

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

I would be careful there because it is a thing

Disagree 1000%, but not going to argue with a stranger on a message board about it. You do you! Glad we could agree on the rest, at least.

1 hour ago, HalloweenInJanuary said:

Disagree 1000%, but not going to argue with a stranger on a message board about it. You do you! Glad we could agree on the rest, at least.

Lol well I wouldn't have thought we would get into an argument about it but okay.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taylorannephoto said:

I would be careful there because it is a thing, however it's typically a thing done by conservative outside parties not cool with how consenting adults have fun in the bedroom. This wouldn't be kinkshaming because if Katie doesn't like this then that's her decision and not shaming the dude at all. Although one would argue maybe we should shame this dude's kink cause that's crossing a line in my opinion. But everything else I agree with. Life is too short for bad sex, and this dude sounds like danger.

Katie please leave him.

latest?cb=20130707145006

Kink shaming is real. People will say things like "Man, furries (or insert some other turn on) are fucking weird and I don't get why anyone would do that. They are so gross" is kink shaming. That doesn't mean someone is forcing me into being a furry when I don't want to. I understand that people have kinks that others aren't comfortable with. People shouldn't be forced into sex they don't want or enjoy.

That said, I'd leave this person. With bug chasers being real and AIDS being real, I'd be very wary of someone who brought that up in a first sexual encounter without discussing it first.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, taylorannephoto said:

Lol well I wouldn't have thought we would get into an argument about it but okay.

Haha well some people get upset when you disagree with them on anything, and since I'm new to these forums, I figured diplomacy was a safe bet. It's all good.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, HalloweenInJanuary said:

Haha well some people get upset when you disagree with them on anything, and since I'm new to these forums, I figured diplomacy was a safe bet. It's all good.

Hahaha I promise you that here we take thoughtful intelligent conversations very seriously.

10 hours ago, gigitastic said:

Katie... No girl. No. You need to ghost him.  NOW! There's being kinky and there's demanding you say you have a life altering diseases people die from. What's next? smallpox or he is only into STI's? I mean I know my all time favorite bad movie Showgirls has the line "Everybody got AIDS and shit" but if your gonna try roleplaying Showgirls there's so many better moments. 

I'm worried about you, Katie. You in danger, girl.

I'm also highly amused that our dolphin shaming made it to the mini-episode.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

Katie please leave him.

latest?cb=20130707145006

Yeah I agree. I don't know if this is kinkshaming so much as Katie not feeling comfortable with this kink and that's ok. Not everyone's kink is compatible and this doesn't sound  like she felt safe or comfortable. You don't just spring that shit on people that's really rude.  A considerate partner would have been like "Hey I'm into this would you be ok with it?" and get her consent to ... role play / talk dirty ( is that what this would be called? talk sickly?) Consent is key .  Without the consideration for his partner to ask for her consent he's an asshole and people who don't bother for consent usually suck at sex because they don't  bother to notice their partner's needs. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Knowing our Dolphin Talk made the mini episode made me laugh

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gigitastic said:

Yeah I agree. I don't know if this is kinkshaming so much as Katie not feeling comfortable with this kink and that's ok. Not everyone's kink is compatible and this doesn't sound  like she felt safe or comfortable. You don't just spring that shit on people that's really rude.  A considerate partner would have been like "Hey I'm into this would you be ok with it?" and get her consent to ... role play / talk dirty ( is that what this would be called? talk sickly?) Consent is key .  Without the consideration for his partner to ask for her consent he's an asshole and people who don't bother for consent usually suck at sex because they don't  bother to notice their partner's needs. 

I also agree. And agree that Katie didn't seem to be kink shaming him. It was more like, "this is a weird thing that he likes. is it okay for me to not be comfortable with it?" and absolutely yes! He absolutely should have checked in with her about her reaction to it beforehand, and absolutely afterward. A simple, "was that okay?" "did you like that?" would suffice. Communication and consent is key. Feel free to ditch him. Let him be him, and you get tested. 

• Like 2

Cameron H (or anyone else who is cool), have you heard Egypt Station yet? I think it's perfectly fine but nothing ground breaking. It's in line with Paul's last few albums but lacking a really good single.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

Cameron H (or anyone else who is cool), have you heard Egypt Station yet? I think it's perfectly fine but nothing ground breaking. It's in line with Paul's last few albums but lacking a really good single.

Oh my God, I just sat down to listen to it and my phone ran out of batteries! (To quote Charlie Brown: "Aaargh!") I'll listen tonight and report back in the morning.

Anyway, I think I'm going to muddle my way through Hitchcock' s Topaz. So far, I totally agree with your Letterboxd review. I also believe your Egypt Station review applies: "perfectly fine but nothing groundbreaking."

God! I'm surrounded by genius, but I'm being fed mediocrity! What's the deal?

5 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Were we also kinkshaming the dolphins? Asking for a friend.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, CameronH said:

Oh my God, I just sat down to listen to it and my phone ran out of batteries! (To quote Charlie Brown: "Aaargh!") I'll listen tonight and report back in the morning.

Anyway, I think I'm going to muddle my way through Hitchcock' s Topaz. So far, I totally agree with your Letterboxd review. I also believe your Egypt Station review applies: "perfectly fine but nothing groundbreaking."

God! I'm surrounded by genius, but I'm being fed mediocrity! What's the deal?

Don't feel bad. I only listened to it as background while I was making supper. So, I don't have any real concrete opinions yet. Nothing stuck out much though good or bad. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

Don't feel bad. I only listened to it as background while I was making supper. So, I don't have any real concrete opinions yet. Nothing stuck out much though good or bad. 

Listening now (*sigh* another day Topaz) Jesus, “Who Cares” sounds like a Huey Lewis and the News cover...

So far, I’m not super impressed. “I Don’t Care” was not only a weird lead single, but it’s the album opener?!? Wtf?

Honestly, I’ve only heard two songs that weren’t already released, and at the risk of sounding like a kinkshaming ageist, I’m not sure I want hear about horny, 76-year-old Paul...

Oops! Here’s a new song. “Confidante.” Oof! Okay. Here’s what I’m going to say: the music is okay. I think he’s got interesting ideas, but these lyrics are more “Scrambled Eggs” than “Yesterday.” (That’s a reference for the *real* fans ;) )

• Like 1

Egypt Station Update:

Agh! “Back to Brazil!” What even the fuck? Why is this happening? Please! Paul needs an intervention. Someone needs to step up an say, “Don’t do this thing.”

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CameronH said:

Listening now (*sigh* another day Topaz) Jesus, “Who Cares” sounds like a Huey Lewis and the News cover...

So far, I’m not super impressed. “I Don’t Care” was not only a weird lead single, but it’s the album opener?!? Wtf?

Honestly, I’ve only heard two songs that weren’t already released, and at the risk of sounding like a kinkshaming ageist, I’m not sure I want hear about horny, 76-year-old Paul...

Oops! Here’s a new song. “Confidante.” Oof! Okay. Here’s what I’m going to say: the music is okay. I think he’s got interesting ideas, but these lyrics are more “Scrambled Eggs” than “Yesterday.” (That’s a reference for the *real* fans ;) )

I wasn't paying any attention to the lyrics. Just how it sounds. But the lyrics on the three singles were not good. So, this isn't surprising to hear. Especially since it seemed like he was trying to be provocative and shocking. Paul, no one is listening to your newest work for sex talk.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CameronH said:

Egypt Station Update:

Agh! “Back to Brazil!” What even the fuck? Why is this happening? Please! Paul needs an intervention. Someone needs to step up an say, “Don’t do this thing.”

This is the one song that struck me as a big no thank you

• Like 1

Just now, grudlian. said:

I wasn't paying any attention to the lyrics. Just how it sounds. But the lyrics on the three singles were not good. So, this isn't surprising to hear. Especially since it seemed like he was trying to be provocative and shocking. Paul, no one is listening to your newest work for sex talk.

I’m on “Caesar Rock” and I would give anything for a group of conspirators to stab me to death right now - preferably ears first.

He really needs to cancel this tour and start working on a new album...this one’s not great.

11 minutes ago, CameronH said:

I’m on “Caesar Rock” and I would give anything for a group of conspirators to stab me to death right now - preferably ears first.

He really needs to cancel this tour and start working on a new album...this one’s not great.

The good news is the tour will be 90% old songs and 5 Egypt Station songs. But you're really worrying me about whenever I listen to this again.

• Like 1