🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
paultab

Ghost Rider (2007)

With a sequel on the way, why not revisit Nic Cage in Ghost Rider?

I'm bumping this because it is fantastic. I haven't seen the sequel helmed by the Crank guys, but I'm guessing it'd be a decent double-feature episode.

Some random stuff:

• His superpower is making people realize they're bad guys, which causes their eyes to burn up.
  • His catchphrase, which he says when using that super power, is the wordy "Your soul is stained with the blood of the innocent."
  • He has a weird obsession with eating specific ratios of jelly beans out of a martini glass. This is never explained as anything besides a hyper-specific character quirk.
  • The three hench-demon take on the forms of water, earth, and wind, for no explicit reason, versus Ghost Rider's fire.
  • The devil - the devil - is outrun for 15-20 years by normal human Nicholas Cage when Cage doesn't want to give away his soul per the contract he made as a teen. By the same token, when at the end the devil offers to take back the Ghost Rider power, Cage explicitly says he's going to keep it in order to forever hunt down/sabotage the devil. The devil basically says "drat" and disappears without a fight.

How about we see the two main characters as teenagers that are roughly the same age, but then we see them as adults, and Cage clearly has a decade or so on Eva Mendes?

Also, what genius in the marketing department decided that a poster with two giant floating heads of the leads with Ghost Rider standing around doing nothing was BETTER than just a money shot of a biker with a flaming skull for a head tearing ass on a motorcycle made of fire? Yeah, way to go. Just take an awesome visual and neuter it...

PLEASE DO AN EPISODE ON THIS MOVIE. In my 25 years of living, this is still the worst movie I have ever seen.

What stood out for me was the Magic 8-Ball scene. This is not at all a slapstick comedy, but in the scene where Eva Mendes is being stood up by Nic Cage at a restaurant, she pulls out a Magic 8-Ball to see if he'll show up. Again, not (intentionally) a comedy. So either she carries one at all times or she requested that the waiter find one for her.

• Like 1

What stood out for me was the Magic 8-Ball scene. This is not at all a slapstick comedy, but in the scene where Eva Mendes is being stood up by Nic Cage at a restaurant, she pulls out a Magic 8-Ball to see if he'll show up. Again, not (intentionally) a comedy. So either she carries one at all times or she requested that the waiter find one for her.

One of the dumbest things about that scene is, its played like "Oh no, the devil is getting between him and his lady, if only he wasn't unwillingly turning into the ghost rider he could rekindle their romance."...but when all that was happening he was already super ass late, even if he showed up she would have been super pissed since the whole reason he talked her into it was to prove how reliable he actually is.

Also, for anyone interested theres a really good Rifftrax for this by Quiptracks makes the movie almost as enjoyable as Johnny Blaze finds the 24x7 chimp karate channel.

• Like 2

Absolutely! Just watched it the other day because it's on Hulu. That scene where ghost rider swings his chain around and said "yi-ha!" made me lose it.

please do this movie. it had so much potential, also gives more opportunities to talk about how terrible nicolas cage's hair looked.

One of my oldest friends plays the quirky cameraman in this movie.

#Braaaaag

PS - He's horrible in it, as is everything else in this movie.

• Like 1

I remember an exchange in the movie where a monster actually shouts "You're going down!" and Ghost Rider actually replies "I don't think so!" I always imagined the screenwriter pushing back from the keyboard and saying to himself "You'll never top dialogue like that, you handsome genius, you! Pure gold!"

Nic Cage walked around on set with skull makeup in order to scare people and described his acting style as Neo-Shamanic. I really am at a loss for words that they havent done this movie yet.

I watched this film and its cinematic-diarrhea sequel back-to-back this week. I had never seen either before. Oh my lawwwwd, they're horrible. The sequel is a much worse film, but it's almost too bad and almost has too much to talk about. Or it doesn't have enough because it's complete garbage. I think the first installment would be much better.

Guys, I think this should be done. Unless Paul has a pact with the Ghost Rider himself after being in a film with Cage, it's a must. If the crew wants to marathon it, do both in back-to-back live shows!

On 8/18/2019 at 10:31 AM, SlidePocket said:

Giving this a bump since Peter Fonda has died over the weekend.

RIP, Peter Fonda. Rewatched The Limey recently and he gave a great performance in that.

• Like 1