🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 49 Meet Me in St. Louis

11 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

I genuinely think it has a lot to do with the fact that in St. Louis they are part of the upper class, but in NYC they would be forced to live among others in a tenement and good gracious that is just unacceptable!

Maybe. Honestly, even though suburbs weren’t really a “thing” at that time, they more or less live in one. I don’t actually think they’d live in a NYC tenement, but I do think they’d miss the freedom of having a house with a lawn. For instance, no Wicker Man-style bonfires at Halloween.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Cameron H. said:

Maybe. Honestly, even though suburbs weren’t really a “thing” at that time, they more or less live in one. I don’t actually think they’d live in a NYC tenement, but I do think they’d miss the freedom of having a house with a lawn. For instance, no Wicker Man-style bonfires at Halloween.

Idk Tootie and Agnes would probably be delighted over some trashcan fires in NYC

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EvRobert said:

re: The Cakewalk

That's interesting, I didn't know the connotations of that. When I was a kid, the church I grew up in used to have cakewalks (usually around the holidays) it would be like 6 or ten even squares and there would be 6 or 10 cakes. You would walk around to the different numbers like musical chairs. There would be a "caller" who would draw a number and when the music stopped, whoever was on that number won a cake. 

The cake walk you mention is the carnival game not the formal dance.

1 minute ago, Cinco DeNio said:

The cake walk you mention is the carnival game not the formal dance.

I literally didn't even know there was a formal dance. This is blowing my mind.

• Like 4

I literally didn't even know there was a formal dance. This is blowing my mind.

PoorIncomparableBlobfish-size_restricted

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

As a non-American my knowledge of St. Louis is very limited. I was not even sure where it is really. The main thing I know about it is that outside of the arch it's not so nice and has a high murder rate. So at the end of the film when they have the "The sun will never set on St.Louis" type ending it made me laugh a little. We already found out that the fair stuff didn't stick around so when did things for St. Louis really start heading south? 

I've only been to St. Louis once when I was a teenager during a road trip for a job interview for my mom/ to check out potential schools for me if she decided to take it in Oklahoma (one of my least favorite states and musicals). We were only there for a few hours outside of sleeping and pretty much saw nothing but the neat college shopping part where our hotel was near. I got a great Ramones purse  and a local rockabilly band's CD. So I'm ever so slightly biased based on handbags. However driving into the city was a fucking nightmare. This asshole on a motorcycle decided to drive it DOWN A HIGHWAY IN RUSH HOUR on ONE FUCKING WHEEL!  It was TERRIFYING. I can only assume they were on something. He wasn't just popping a wheelie either. He was legit driving on one wheel bike straight in the air for a long distance. 

I don't think I'd intentionally go to St. Louis just to go there  for the city itself unlike other cities in the country like say New Orleans .  If there was something happening there sure but other than that? Eh.  Though I was sad I missed the barbecue.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EvRobert said:

re: The Cakewalk

That's interesting, I didn't know the connotations of that. When I was a kid, the church I grew up in used to have cakewalks (usually around the holidays) it would be like 6 or ten even squares and there would be 6 or 10 cakes. You would walk around to the different numbers like musical chairs. There would be a "caller" who would draw a number and when the music stopped, whoever was on that number won a cake. 

I remember my middle school winter carnival did a cake walk that was like musical chairs but I don't think it was guaranteed you would win something. Or it was but it wasn't guaranteed to be a baked good. I think when the music stopped whatever number you were on was shown on a prize list. 

• Like 1

That reminds me!

To many [East St. Louis] will forever be the place where a goofy honky from Chicago named Clark Griswold gets his hubcaps stolen in the movie Vacation.

• Like 4

Fun fact this is the movie where Judy Garland met her second husband Vincent Minnelli who is Liza's father . 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, gigitastic said:

Though I was sad I missed the barbecue.

Kansas City BBQ is better

7 hours ago, gigitastic said:

Fun fact this is the movie where Judy Garland met her second husband Vincent Minnelli who is Liza's father . 

So they really did meet in St. Louis!

• Like 5

One other thing I'm not sure about.  I wanted to know what the "hoochie cooche" (mentioned in the title song) was.  It was a dance done by women and was suggestive.  Maybe not the best thing to be teaching Tootie? (Although given her other proclivities this is probably the mildest one.)  Wikipedia does mention its last "hurrah" was at the 1904 World's Fair and then was gone by WWII.

Wiki link

The hoochie coochie (/ˌhuːtʃi ˈkuːtʃi/) is a catch-all term to describe several sexually provocative belly dance-like dances. Also spelled hootchy-kootchy and a number of other variations, It is often associated with "The Streets of Cairo, or the Poor Little Country Maid" song, also known as "the snake charmer song."

Edited by Cinco DeNio
Fixed bad grammar
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

One other thing I'm not sure about.  I wanted to know what the "hoochie cooche" (mentioned in the title song) was.  It was a dance done by women and was suggestive.  Maybe not the best thing to be teaching Tootie? (Although given her other proclivities this is probably the mildest one.)  Wikipedia does mentioning it's last "hurrah" was at the 1904 World's Fair and then was gone by WWII.

Wiki link

Rereading this I think maybe it is more like belly dancing and was just so scandalous to people of the time.  Belly dancing can be suggestive but I have seen nothing that would make me rethink having young girls learn it.

26 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

One other thing I'm not sure about.  I wanted to know what the "hoochie cooche" (mentioned in the title song) was.  It was a dance done by women and was suggestive.  Maybe not the best thing to be teaching Tootie? (Although given her other proclivities this is probably the mildest one.)  Wikipedia does mentioning it's last "hurrah" was at the 1904 World's Fair and then was gone by WWII.

Wiki link

There's a lot of inappropriate dancing/dance references in this movie. But you best not kiss a boy before you're engaged! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EvRobert said:

Kansas City BBQ is better

That's still nothing to Texas BBQ but I'm biased.

• Like 1

We took the best part of all the different regions and made it our own, that's why KC is the best 

also biased

• Like 1

5 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

We took the best part of all the different regions and made it our own, that's why KC is the best 

also biased

rs_550x227-161109185523-food_fight.gif?f

• Like 5

7 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

So long as we can all agree that South Carolina and it's disgusting mustard sauce is an abomination I'm happy. Also that weird white sauce from Alabama. No thank you.  I think I like both Kansas city and Texas equally but for different things. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, gigitastic said:

So long as we can all agree that South Carolina and it's disgusting mustard sauce is an abomination I'm happy. Also that weird white sauce from Alabama. No thank you.  I think I like both Kansas city and Texas equally but for different things. 

This this this. I know what we generally consider to be barbecue originated in the Carolinas (although I suggest watching the Ugly Delicious episode on barbecue to help kind of dispel this idea). But I do not like mustard based sauces or vinegar based sauces. 

• Like 3

I really want barbecue now you guys. On the subject what's everyone's go to side's? I'm fully willing to murder for good macaroni and cheese. 

• Like 2

I don't mind the mustard bbq sauce on certain items, but it's not my favorite. I'm not a fan of the vinegar. 

go to side: Baked beans. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gigitastic said:

I really want barbecue now you guys. On the subject what's everyone's go to side's? I'm fully willing to murder for good macaroni and cheese. 

+1 on Mac & Cheese and also potato salad without any onions in it (just a personal texture thing).

Salt Lick about half an hour South of Austin is some of the BEST I've ever had!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

+1 on Mac & Cheese and also potato salad without any onions in it (just a personal texture thing).

Salt Lick about half an hour South of Austin is some of the BEST I've ever had!

Are you saying Salt Lick is best barbecue or best sides? Because the best barbecue I've ever had is probably Black's in Lockhart.

9 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

Are you saying Salt Lick is best barbecue or best sides? Because the best barbecue I've ever had is probably Black's in Lockhart.

Best BBQ. I've never been down to Lockhart so I can't comment but it's obviously famous for it!