🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 199 - A Night In Heaven: LIVE!

Now I haven't read all the comments here so far, but how did HDTGM not mention Rick talking about his mom's ass to her? At the 35 minute mark she's asking about when he's gonna get his grades. He pulls a three card monte switcheroo about which week he's supposed to get them instead of telling her he flunked because he made a joke about a corpse in Speech 101. Then to further distract her, he grabs her by the waist and says "Oooh you're losing your memory. But you've got a great ass though! And that's why I love you!"

Did anyone else catch that?!? I felt like Paul was almost there. He played just about everything from that scene except when Rick picks her up.

Also, "Neither, the baby never showed up." is an insane line from the sister!

And was this movie the inspiration for the moniker of the rapper Slick Rick?

• Like 2

So I didn't watch this movie at all but it sounds like a total dumpster fire. In regards to whether Slick was a sister or girlfriend and if the Florida theme is to continue I'll ask this in egards to who she is, 8938506.jpg.2ea3e856801ac7d15c3e3c5e904d9856.jpg.

Also that teacher could find herself in serious trouble not only for having sex with her student, but her reason for failing him being solely based upon that she doesn't like his joke is some serious grounds for administrative intervention should he filed a formal complaint.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Westing1992 said:

Well, "Not tonight, Josephine," is a quote supposedly from Napoleon (when declining to sleep with his wife... like Whitney does later in the movie!), so maybe it's just idiosyncratic command syntax? Also, it plays "La Marseillaise," the French national anthem, furthering the connection. Not sure why it's eaten by a shark, though.

Regarding Rick's relationship with his mother, when she questions him about his grades, he distracts her by hugging her, picking her up and spinning her, and telling her she has a great ass[!]. His mother not only laughs this off, but says, "It sure is a good thing you're cute, kid." The whole thing is disconcertingly flirty.

Also, earlier in the same scene, his sister explains that she's late because she had to go to the 7-11 and was held up comforting a woman who was apparently in labor, but the baby never showed up so they took her home? This is yet another baffling scene that is never brought up again but can be shrugged off the explanation of "It's Florida."

I want to know more about the sister. What crime did her boyfriend commit to end up in jail and what exactly would her mail order hearts business ( I think that's what she said ) entail? What kind of a person abandons their cats to move across the country for a guy whose fucking serving time? Wouldn't it make more sense to wait until he was out?  Or was she that desperate to flee the swamps of her homeland? Which... I get it. Your related to Rick so almost delivering babies in a 7/11 is probably the highlight of your day. 

30 minutes ago, Mistweave said:

I just want to know if Rick ever paid the water bill like his Mom asked him several times...yelling it at him as he drove away with the girl in circus slut shorts (great line from tawny!)

I'm honestly worried for his sister's cat(s) that she asks him to take care of when she escapes to San Francisco and her prison boyfriend. That cat is a goner for sure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Has anyone found any psychology magazine articles about strip clubs in the 80s. I searched Psychology Today and didn't find anything that old.

• Like 2

I am not sure of the pre-edited length, but Paul comments that this is the longest episode. He clearly forgets the marathon that was View to a Kill coming in at 1 hour 56 minutes, almost 10 minutes longer than A Night in Heaven. Or maybe his mind separates View to a Kill into two podcasts; one about the movie, the other about the butterfly dance sequence.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hotironskillet said:

But what really struck me about the art show scene was how touchy feeling Lesley Ann's husband is with her sister and her with him. Patsy plays with his tie, he puts his arm around her, they lean into each other. They totally look like people who are having an affair. And that wouldn't have been out of place in this movie!

No question, the sister and the husband were totally fucking.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Has anyone found any psychology magazine articles about strip clubs in the 80s. I searched Psychology Today and didn't find anything that old.

I'm sure there is something on archive.org or JSTOR, but I don't want to consider the search phrasing I'd have to put together to find what might have been talked about in the show.

5 hours ago, Val said:

Can’t watch the video on Vimeo link it says it doesn’t exist anymore. I never got to see it yet.. dammit! 😩

The whole thing is on youtube for free.

A psychologist would have a field day with this movie. So many storytelling decisions point to some pretty deep subconscious fears, all 80s-flavoured. Fears of downsizing/job mobility in an 80s recession? Check. Fears of rampant militarization? Fears of redefining marriage and of non-traditional sexual awakenings?  Check, check, check. All we needed was some anti-drug messages and some good old-fashioned gay panic and we'd have "80s Existential Fear Bingo!" 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, KaylaGreet said:

Now I haven't read all the comments here so far, but how did HDTGM not mention Rick talking about his mom's ass to her? At the 35 minute mark she's asking about when he's gonna get his grades. He pulls a three card monte switcheroo about which week he's supposed to get them instead of telling her he flunked because he made a joke about a corpse in Speech 101. Then to further distract her, he grabs her by the waist and says "Oooh you're losing your memory. But you've got a great ass though! And that's why I love you!"

He smack-grabs her ass as he says it, too. All to the tune of a music cue that sounds like it's from Laugh-In. 

• Like 1
  • huh? 1

6 hours ago, DannytheWall said:

A psychologist would have a field day with this movie. So many storytelling decisions point to some pretty deep subconscious fears, all 80s-flavoured. Fears of downsizing/job mobility in an 80s recession? Check. Fears of rampant militarization? Fears of redefining marriage and of non-traditional sexual awakenings?  Check, check, check. All we needed was some anti-drug messages and some good old-fashioned gay panic and we'd have "80s Existential Fear Bingo!" 

Don't forget middle-age man's existential fear of emasculation. Is it purely because the crew had access to a space station that they spent the entire opening credits filming our third-billed main character riding a recumbent bike past a recumbent rocket? No, clearly this deeply layered work of cinema wants to say something early on about male fears concerning non-vertical phallic objects. The husband, after all, is the beta-male, the scientist who does the indoors work so the astronauts can launch their rocket into space and claim the glory. The main competition for his wife's affection?  A virile young man literally named ROCKET who dons a space suit at work. Not to mention Lesley Ann Warren's reaction when she reaches into his pants; we're obviously meant to think that this rocket is superior to what she's got to work with at home.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, mduncan55 said:

Absolutely killing me that they are calling the Bryan Adams song "All That I Need" instead of its actual name which is "Heaven", both because this is one of my favorite songs of all time, and because it actually explains why they would use it in this movie. (Though not why Mr. Adams would allow them.)

Were they? I thought one of the guests was just quoting the lyric, just to underscore the husband's loving relationship with his bike.

21 hours ago, MichaelIanFinnigan said:

I'll just leave this here. 

Monty python - Decomposing Composers 

https://youtu.be/sjWPXybVjYE

Here's the thing about that speech.  It wasn't that Rick wasn't being serious or really didn't have anything to say. That entire speech was just a build-up to making a joke about decomposing composers! The classmate's question was exactly the point: there was no way that the archaeologists would actually know about the occupation of an ancient tribal corpse (and a "true story from central Florida"...come on!). The archaeologist's name was "R.F.Goodrich", as in B.F.Goodrich tires. It's not just that he was making an offhand wisecrack, or that his speech wasn't serious enough. The entire story was BULLSHIT.  In the immediately preceding scene he says "honesty is all I know". Obviously we're meant to take him as a bullshitter, which is reinforced in the classroom scene (and sets up a character arc that is never paid off).

Which makes it even crazier that he had a visual presentation to go with it. He took the trouble of making a collage and brought in those artifacts just to make the joke even more elaborate. 

I took a speech class in college, and like the audience members said, the only point of the class is speaking well.  However, it's not just about dumping some information on your audience.  You're supposed to persuade; state a hypothesis or opinion, and then back it up with arguments.  The speech that Rick made wasn't really a rhetorical speech, especially compared with the exemplars pictured behind him (FDR and MLK). This was just regurgitating information from an encyclopedia. And the poster is something that would have been more appropriate for social studies class, where the class is more concerned about the actual content.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, KaylaGreet said:

Did anyone else catch that?!? I felt like Paul was almost there. He played just about everything from that scene except when Rick picks her up.

Also, when Rick's mom meets Faye, they are clearly holding hands. The mom is willfully ignoring this, looking only at Rick's face after walking right up to both of them. When they are introduced, she is surprised to meet her son's teacher but not because they were just canoodling. When also considering the trailer park scene, there seems to be a running theme here...

So Thats How It Is_zpsg7uaqog3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • huh? 1

6 hours ago, Megamuffinbatman said:

This movies deserves to have a part 2, as in episode not a dumpster fire of a movie. 

Or do a commentary cause I think they would have something to say about every single frame of this movie

2 hours ago, Mistweave said:

Or do a commentary cause I think they would have something to say about every single frame of this movie

They literally talked longer than the movie itself. So, shouldn't be a problem to do a commentary.

• Like 1

Opening bike scene is amazing, i'm pretty sure the entire point of it was to show how unfuckable her husband was to her. That bicycle so needlessly makes him look like an overwhelming goober. 

It's also one of very few scenes where he gets any kind of a soundtrack behind him. He spends the majority of his screen time sitting in his dining room in complete fucking silence. I couldn't believe they talked about how quiet the sex scene was, and not how jarring it was when they kept doing hard cuts from the dance club with the music blasting, to him sitting in complete silence looking at a figure of a rocket. 

He gets like two big scenes with any kind of music behind it, the opening scene with his goofy bicycle, and the hilarious ominous scary music he gets at the end when he murders that dudes boat. 

Absolute best thing about the movie is the ending. Because its not even unintentionally hilarious. They clearly shot all the gratuitous shots of the husband fooling around with the gun to set up that he was going to kill Rick. They thought it was going to be a delightful play on expectations when he instead shoots Rick's watercraft, then busts out a smile and makes the jokey line about how he was just a little mad and not crazy. Which to be fair, it was pretty delightful.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, joshg said:

Here's the thing about that speech.  It wasn't that Rick wasn't being serious or really didn't have anything to say. That entire speech was just a build-up to making a joke about decomposing composers! The classmate's question was exactly the point: there was no way that the archaeologists would actually know about the occupation of an ancient tribal corpse (and a "true story from central Florida"...come on!). The archaeologist's name was "R.F.Goodrich", as in B.F.Goodrich tires. It's not just that he was making an offhand wisecrack, or that his speech wasn't serious enough. The entire story was BULLSHIT.  In the immediately preceding scene he says "honesty is all I know". Obviously we're meant to take him as a bullshitter, which is reinforced in the classroom scene (and sets up a character arc that is never paid off).

Which makes it even crazier that he had a visual presentation to go with it. He took the trouble of making a collage and brought in those artifacts just to make the joke even more elaborate. 

I took a speech class in college, and like the audience members said, the only point of the class is speaking well.  However, it's not just about dumping some information on your audience.  You're supposed to persuade; state a hypothesis or opinion, and then back it up with arguments.  The speech that Rick made wasn't really a rhetorical speech, especially compared with the exemplars pictured behind him (FDR and MLK). This was just regurgitating information from an encyclopedia. And the poster is something that would have been more appropriate for social studies class, where the class is more concerned about the actual content.

Agreed. I also took a speech class and we had to try to do a variety of different kinds of speeches. It's been forever but I think I recall there being three main types of speeches. Special occasion speeches( I gave one I would have given to a friend at their wedding if they didn't live all the way in New Zealand) Informative,( I gave several in this style but the one on most remember was just about explaining the world of Discworld.) Persuasive (  mine was on why my state should allow LGBTQ+ couples the same legal rights to adopt as straight couples). My final was on a How To speech which I guess is an informative one. I walked my class through making a trifle.

So it depends on what KIND of speech Rick was supposed to be giving .

However he still fails in getting a good grade in my eyes because  if it's supposed to be an informative presentation about a factual thing he's clearly lying and when asked a question he doesn't properly respond.  He shows no sources or statistics. 

If it's a persuasive speech... that's not how that works at all. And even if it was he failed because his audience questions him. 

I doubt he'd give this speech at a graduation or a bat mitzvah. 

• Like 2

Maybe I'm just a dumb dumb but I genuinely thought that 1. The husband was going to kill himself when they first cut to the gun on the newspaper.

And 

2. When they introduced Slick I thought  she and the husband would mess around. In fact I thought that was them meeting at the dry cleaners but then he was licking paper for her and I realized she was a brunette. Like Paul I also have 80's lady hair blindness. But wouldn't that have made more sense instead of whoever Mary was ( that was her name right?). It even explains the kid's bedroom because then it could be Slick's because she still lives at home or something.

• Like 1

My favorite character was Tony the janitor because he was the only person with a complete story arc in three short scenes. 

He has the night shift at NASA where he can dance, listen to music and clean the floors. Tony is under appreciated at work as seen from the old man who enters and yells at him. Whitney treats Tony as an equal, he complimented him on his dancing and has even shared information with him about the bike. 

Tony visits Rick at the strip club and his friends are excited that he has the night off. Tony reveals he was actually fired (I guess NASA really wanted to clean house after getting that sweet military contract). Rick wants him to join as a dancer but Tony doesn’t believe he could ever do anything like that because he’s Catholic and his wife would kill him. 

In the end Slick is unable to find Rick at the stip club and recruits Tony to be her new lead dancer as the Service Man. 

There are holes in Tony’s story sure but considering he goes through the most growth throughout the movie, I’d say Tony is in fact the protagonist.

• Like 7

Some more big questions:

1. At what strip club can strippers actually kiss their customers live on stage and no one gets in trouble? I'm pretty sure that's a big no-no in that business.

2. I was confused about the time line near the end. Rick has sex with Faye in the hotel room, then she leaves, and then she returns after what seems like a short time to find Rick already having shower sex with his other girlfriend. How quickly did he manage to set this up? And how quickly did Faye's husband get to that hotel after having just talked to her on the phone? Is everyone just hanging around in the vicinity of this hotel all the time?

3. Let's take a look at this poster:

17336_2_large.jpg

Is there any scene in the movie that looks even remotely like this? Who is that woman supposed to be?

• Like 6

6 hours ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

Some more big questions:

1. At what strip club can strippers actually kiss their customers live on stage and no one gets in trouble? I'm pretty sure that's a big no-no in that business.

2. I was confused about the time line near the end. Rick has sex with Faye in the hotel room, then she leaves, and then she returns after what seems like a short time to find Rick already having shower sex with his other girlfriend. How quickly did he manage to set this up? And how quickly did Faye's husband get to that hotel after having just talked to her on the phone? Is everyone just hanging around in the vicinity of this hotel all the time?

3. Let's take a look at this poster:

17336_2_large.jpg

Is there any scene in the movie that looks even remotely like this? Who is that woman supposed to be?

From that haircut, if I didn't know Lesley Ann Warren was in this, I'd think it was Jamie Lee Curtis. Maybe they didn't know who there were going to get, which is why she's facing away? 

I'd believe it if they said that the whole creative process of this movie started with promo poster concept art and a musical guarantee from Bryan Adams.

Also, speaking of the hotel, I've never been to a hotel where the closed-circuit security TVs were in full view of the lobby. It's a hotel, not Walmart.

• Like 4

As a straight male, I've long advocated for more dick in movies. It just always takes me out of it to see the lengths a movie will go to keep men's junk covered up while putting women's bodies on full display ... legs, shadows, cleverly placed foreground objects, L-shaped bedsheets, etc. So I applaud this movie for its schlongitude, although I think if you had the balls (ahem) to put a dick in your movie, you should also have the balls to have the genitals align during the sex scenes ... LAW is up near his belly button.

Also, as a white male, I love being barefoot. I thought it was just because it is more comfortable to be out of shoes ... I didn't know it was a racial predisposition. My daughter also loves it ... she asks to take her shoes and socks off first thing when we get home. I hate to think I've trained her to be a stereotype.

EDIT: This is my 500th post! I think this is the perfect way to celebrate. The human body is beautiful, people. Shed your hangups!

• Like 6