šŸ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ɨ
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 50 Preview (The Triple Lindy's 2nd Pick)

23 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Hopefully it's OK to post this.Ā  I love Sophia Loren giving Jayne the side-eye.

Here's Sophia's side of it.

Ā  Reveal hidden contents

e9b65984c353a5e08ba1fea77c9b9985.jpg

Wasn't she supposedly side eying her because her boobs were about to fall out of her dress onto the table? I seem to recall Sophia saying something to that effect . Speaking of Sophia Loren a local apple orchard has a llama named after her and I love her.Ā  I feed her apples every time I visit and tbh I half the reason I go there is because of the llamas.Ā 

• Like 4

Just now, gigitastic said:

Wasn't she supposedly side eying her because her boobs were about to fall out of her dress onto the table? I seem to recall Sophia saying something to that effect . Speaking of Sophia Loren a local apple orchard has a llama named after her and I love her.Ā  I feed her apples every time I visit and tbh I half the reason I go there is because of the llamas.Ā 

Yes, you can see the nipple on Jayne's right breast (her right) starting to peek out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Yes, you can see the nipple on Jayne's right breast (her right) starting to peek out.

Oh you're right! I always thought that was a shadow or something. Jane Mansfield was the starlet who owned the Pink Palace right? She had this entire house done in shades of pink. I think they tore it down in the early 2000's. I just remember seeing a photo of her pink carpeted bathroom. *shudders* Even the ceiling and walls were carpeted! She'sĀ  actually really interesting. Supposedly she was incredibly smart and worked very hard at the dumb blonde roll.Ā  I know she was rumored to have had a bunch of men in her life including John F Kennedy and Robert Kennedy. I do know she'sĀ Mariska Hargitay's mom from her marriage to Mickey Hargitay.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gigitastic said:

Oh you're right! I always thought that was a shadow or something. Jane Mansfield was the starlet who owned the Pink Palace right? She had this entire house done in shades of pink. I think they tore it down in the early 2000's. I just remember seeing a photo of her pink carpeted bathroom. *shudders* Even the ceiling and walls were carpeted! She'sĀ  actually really interesting. Supposedly she was incredibly smart and worked very hard at the dumb blonde roll.Ā  I know she was rumored to have had a bunch of men in her life including John F Kennedy and Robert Kennedy. I do know she'sĀ Mariska Hargitay's mom from her marriage to Mickey Hargitay.

You are correct about her house.Ā  I hadn't heard of that so I just looked it up.Ā  Searching "Pink Palace" got me a place in Tennessee.Ā  I had to add her name to find it.Ā  I also know there's a room in Graceland (the Jungle Room IIRC) that has carpeting on the ceiling but that was practical.Ā  They would record in there sometimes and the carpeting helped with the acoustics.

Ā 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, gigitastic said:

I tried so hard to like CEG but I found the main character to be kind of awful in the first season and a half I watched . I just couldn't root for her. She's really manipulate it felt like and I just can't deal with second hand embarrassment.

That's totally fair. The show certainly isn't for everyone. I think the show is playing with and subverting conventions of romantic comedies. So, it ultimately doesn't want you to root for her in the way romantic comedies typically want you to.

Anyone who can't tolerate uncomfortable comedy probably should avoid it.Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gigitastic said:

Ā 

1 hour ago, Cinco DeNio said:

You are correct about her house.Ā  I hadn't heard of that so I just looked it up.Ā  Searching "Pink Palace" got me a place in Tennessee.Ā  I had to add her name to find it.Ā  I also know there's a room in Graceland (the Jungle Room IIRC) that has carpeting on the ceiling but that was practical.Ā  They would record in there sometimes and the carpeting helped with the acoustics.

Ā 

Hell yeah, the Pink Palace! It's about 10 minutes away from where I lived in Memphis ... I used to jog by it.

mansion_tulips_pink_copy-thumb620x300.jp

[pictured: not Jayne Mansfield's house]

• Like 3

Speaking of Jayne Mansfield and Mickey Hargitay, has anyone seen the newĀ MST3K on Netflix? They did The Loves of Hercules starring both of them, and it's one of the more enjoyable episodes of the run.

MV5BNTQ1YzQ3YTMtOTNkNi00MTdkLWFjNTItNWM3

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gigitastic said:

Mary Berry is such a delight. Everyone on the show (but Paul) was.Ā  Honestly I'd watch Mary, Sue, or Mel go grocery shopping or any other mundane task because they are all pure sunshine in human form

100% and I will cherish Mary Berry for the rest of my life. I do love Paul on the show as well because he clearly loves baking, just the way he gets his hands into dough in Masterclass when demonstrating anything. It's just like seeing someone who's found what they were put on this Earth to do. He definitely has an inflated opinion of himself, but he's also never cruel or vindictive to the contestants. He just says, "this is not good, you could have done better," "this is good,""this is a disaster," or "I would serve this at my restaurant." He's an honest authority... on a fucking reality show.

My name is Quasar Sniffer and I will take ANY GOD DAMN OPPORTUNITY to talk about the Great British Baking Show. So my go-to topics are.... Batman, Star Wars, Star Trek, and bakewell tarts. Don't get me started!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Quasar Sniffer said:

100% and I will cherish Mary Berry for the rest of my life. I do love Paul on the show as well because he clearly loves baking, just the way he gets his hands into dough in Masterclass when demonstrating anything. It's just like seeing someone who's found what they were put on this Earth to do. He definitely has an inflated opinion of himself, but he's also never cruel or vindictive to the contestants. He just says, "this is not good, you could have done better," "this is good,""this is a disaster," or "I would serve this at my restaurant." He's an honest authority... on a fucking reality show.

My name is Quasar Sniffer and I will take ANY GOD DAMN OPPORTUNITY to talk about the Great British Baking Show. So my go-to topics are.... Batman, Star Wars, Star Trek, and bakewell tarts. Don't get me started!

I like him as a baker but I've heard stories that he's a bit full of himself which makes me sad. He's ok but nowhere near as wonderful as Mary. I'd literally watch paint dry if Mary talked about it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gigitastic said:

I like him as a baker but I've heard stories that he's a bit full of himself which makes me sad. He's ok but nowhere near as wonderful as Mary. I'd literally watch paint dry if Mary talked about it.

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bc5332738394a5141

• Like 3

Yeah I think they wanted to establish Paul as the ā€œSimonā€ of GBBO but he just comes across as a slightly disappointed dad. But the season with just him, where is he almost cast in the ā€œgood judgeā€ role doesnā€™t quite work either (I may also miss Mary and Sue and Mel. And while the new hosts are good they donā€™t compare to the joy Sue and Mel had).Ā 

Ā 

Hi im EvRob and I will talk Batman, Star Wars, Harry Potter and Great British Bake off. Who wants to fight me.Ā 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Quasar Sniffer said:

I can't forget where my obsessions with British baking, linguistics, and High Fantasy truly merge: LORD OF THE RINGS!

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bc53b2c374b514a45

You know who also does high fantasy , mystery,Ā  comedy, and and baking? Terry Pratchett's Discworld! Particularly the famed (and deadly) Dwarf Bread . It's even got it's own museum which I think is part of The Fifth Elephant book when the replica of the Scone of Stone is stolen.

My name is Gigitastic and I love Discworld,Ā  cats,Ā  Harry Potter , cheesy 90s tv shows with bad ass women,The Great British Baking Show, and drag queens(particularly when they play Dungeons and Dragons).I really don't want to fight because I am a delicate flower and my body is already a broken mess as is.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The_Triple_Lindy said:

Ā 

Hell yeah, the Pink Palace! It's about 10 minutes away from where I lived in Memphis ... I used to jog by it.

mansion_tulips_pink_copy-thumb620x300.jp

[pictured: not Jayne Mansfield's house]

I think I like this house better. Even if Mickey Hargitay didn't build a heart shaped pool there. In fact that might make me like it even more

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Quasar Sniffer said:

H9tmf8w.gif

• Like 3

Never heard of this movie so I look forward to it!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Quasar Sniffer said:

Ruby was my favorite winner of the show and when it was announced that he would be following the show to Channel 4 she released her feelings about him on Twitter, and let's just say they were not favorable so ever since I've been salty towards him.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

Ruby was my favorite winner of the show and when it was announced that he would be following the show to Channel 4 she released her feelings about him on Twitter, and let's just say they were not favorable so ever since I've been salty towards him.

Uh, spoiler alert. šŸ˜‰

On 10/15/2018 at 1:27 PM, The_Triple_Lindy said:

OK ... I only had two goals for my pick this time around:Ā I wanted to pick something that 1. I have never seen (Iā€™m losing steam on the homestretch of my DLM challenge), and 2. is free somewhere on the internet.

First, although this film is not hailed as a triumph of musical cinema, its legacy upon the world is enduring. I remember this film from my History of Rock 'n' Roll class.Ā It stars and features music from the likes of Little Richard, Fats Domino, The Platters, Eddie Cochran and others. When this movie premiered in Great Britain in 1956, it marked one of the first mainstream introductions of early rock ā€™nā€™ roll music to the British public. As such, many future rock legends who were part of the British Invasion of the 1960s citeĀ this film as a major moment of inspiration on their ensuing careers. John Lennon and Paul McCartney, for example, tell stories of how they first bonded as musicians by playing their favorite tracks from the movie for each other. Then, in 1960, they formed the Beatles and the world was never the same.

Secondly, the star of the flick, Jayne Mansfield, is an underrated musical talent. This film plays up the idea that she is an ā€œall looks, no talentā€ bombshell bimbo, but Mansfield only got started in movies after a fairly successful stint in Broadway musicals. Sheā€™s trained at both the piano and violin. Furthermore, she has become a sort of punk music icon. There are bands named after her and a several volumes of songs that referenceĀ her life and death.

I give you:

You can watch the whole thing here on YouTube.

Ā 

Tom Ewell also starred with Marilyn Monroe in The Seven-Year Itch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

And seems to play a very similar character.Ā 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

I've never actually seen The 7 Year Itch all the way through. I've somehow only managed to see the first half and snippets here and there. Besides the iconic dress scene I wasn't too impressed with what I saw (though I was slightly vindicated that Monroe's character also keeps clothes in the freezer during heat waves. ).Ā  Is it worth sitting down and seeing all the way through?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, gigitastic said:

I've never actually seen The 7 Year Itch all the way through. I've somehow only managed to see the first half and snippets here and there. Besides the iconic dress scene I wasn't too impressed with what I saw (though I was slightly vindicated that Monroe's character also keeps clothes in the freezer during heat waves. ).Ā  Is it worth sitting down and seeing all the way through?

I have never seen it but it seems likeĀ it would be worth buying some groceries and settling in for a watch.

tumblr_nlxuzlszvM1qdm4tlo1_500.gif

• Like 2

11 hours ago, gigitastic said:

Same! I can't remember why I hadn't finished it (maybe just timing as it was on TV when I had to leave or something) but I also remember not being very impressed by the story. Especially in a modern viewing it got reaaalllll tiring just having to watch a married man try and not cheat on her.

• Like 2