🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
DaltonMaltz

Episode 199.5 - Minisode 199.5

Strip club etiquette, Bryan Adams’ second thoughts, and more on this week’s minisode! Paul goes through Corrections and Omissions for A Night In Heaven, shares a must-listen during Paul’s Pick of the Week, and the Movie Bitches review Little Italy. Plus, an exciting update on next week’s episode!

I haven't listened to an episode in exactly 1 year but seeing as it's going to be episode 200 and Halloween I thought what better time to jump back in but I was expecting something a little more seasonal than Action Jackson ... and it's a pain in the arse to find over here... so maybe I'll come back for the Christmas ep ... if there is one this year ..

in saying that I have been keeping the spreadsheet going so if anyone is interested, here's an update...

if this episode is longer than 80 minutes then the total runtime of the minis + the movies + the episodes = 28 days.

that's a nice round number ... 4 weeks exactly ... I've hoped the 28-day mark would be hit on episode 200 for ages now ... see kids, dreams do come true ... you just gotta believe
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fNUxhVbJf9FOIHnE1yorJj383JS51T0cjF6XsaE8tA4/edit?usp=sharing

p.s. get well soon paul

• Like 2

Feel better Paul!

Action Jackson is definitely a 'thank God this got made' for me. Love it. Love Carl Weathers. Love Bill Duke.

• Like 1

All I know is that I'm going to be spending the entirety of Action Jackson thinking about Arrested Development and the various things Carl needs to get a stew going.

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bcad8ef7a2f376b2e

Hope you feel better soon Paul!

I'm coming down with my yearly fall cold because I refuse to realize it's too cold out to sleep with the window open(I live on the second floor over seniors it gets really hot in here) so I feel you! 

• Like 4

Get well soon, Paul!

Since my eldest son started school this year, I think I’ve been sick more days than well. I feel your pain. :(

• Like 2

Back in the '90s when I was a kid and all the family gathered to eat my Italian grandfather said every time the food was served "Lights. Camera. Action! Action Jackson!" I was a kid and just thought it was a funny rhyme to let us all know we could dig into the food... Haven't seen the movie but hearing Paul's Action Jackson's announcement for the 200th episode brought me back fun memories...

Can't wait!

P.S.: Last but not least... Get well soon Paul

• Like 3

Tis the season for illnesses! I've also been dealing with a terrible cold for like all month it seems. I finally got better last week but still can't seem to get rid of my cough lol. I don't even have children lol just an office full of people who don't know how to be more sanitary!

• Like 4

My mom would always say when the weather starts to change everybody gets sick. I don't know where you are living but the weather is dropping here. I think we are soon to bypass fall and go straight into winter.

P.S: Get well soon Paul!

P.P.S: Get well soon everybody!

• Like 4

(Looks up “Action Jackson”)

I wonder how many people will mistakenly watch the 2014 Bollywood movie of the same name?

I have a random ass question for all the parents out there.

When your birthday rolls around and it just falls at an inconvenient time and you can't do anything with your friends because of schedules and you can't get a sitter for your kids and yadda yadda. Do you just accept it and move on because lmao we're all adults and that's what happens, or do you guilt trip your friends into finding a specific day months later to celebrate that birthday because we "don't want him to think we forgot"?

Yes I'm using a specific thing that just happened to me and yes I'm kinda really not happy that I'm being guilted into clearing my schedule for my friends because they are the ones with a baby and can't seem to just accept that their own birthdays get pushed to the side now.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

When your birthday rolls around and it just falls at an inconvenient time and you can't do anything with your friends because of schedules and you can't get a sitter for your kids and yadda yadda. Do you just accept it and move on because lmao we're all adults and that's what happens, or do you guilt trip your friends into finding a specific day months later to celebrate that birthday because we "don't want him to think we forgot"?

Yes I'm using a specific thing that just happened to me and yes I'm kinda really not happy that I'm being guilted into clearing my schedule for my friends because they are the ones with a baby and can't seem to just accept that their own birthdays get pushed to the side now.

Taylor, I think you need to call and leave a voicemail for Paul for this

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

Birthday party? For me?

qCbR9GF.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Birthday party? For me?

qCbR9GF.jpg

I'm actually cackling this was such a funny gif to respond with, thank you Cameron lol!

They're brand new parents so I know that they just want to keep normalcy as much as possible, but also they're acting like they're the only ones with adult responsibilities because they're the only ones with a kid now. But I've got 3 jobs so like lmao nah brahs.

I'm just very frustrated and stressed and this was kinda the straw that broke the camel's back so I'm now just super pissed too lol!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

I'm actually cackling this was such a funny gif to respond with, thank you Cameron lol!

They're brand new parents so I know that they just want to keep normalcy as much as possible, but also they're acting like they're the only ones with adult responsibilities because they're the only ones with a kid now. But I've got 3 jobs so like lmao nah brahs.

I'm just very frustrated and stressed and this was kinda the straw that broke the camel's back so I'm now just super pissed too lol!

I think I’d be more sympathetic if they were like, “Hey, I miss you guys. We’re all adults now and have responsibilities, but I really don’t want to lose touch. We should really figure out a time when we can all get together and just hang out.” The fact that it seems to be framed as, “You fuckers need to celebrate *me* and *my birth*” makes me roll my eyes.

For my birthday, I usually get a couple of gifts, and whatever dinner/dessert I want. That’s it. And I’m totally happy with that. If a friend of mine (or my mother) remembers to text me a “Happy Birthday” that’s just a bonus.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I think I’d be more sympathetic if they were like, “Hey, I miss you guys. We’re all adults now and have responsibilities, but I really don’t want to lose touch. We should really figure out a time when we can all get together and just hang out.” The fact that it seems to be framed as, “You fuckers need to celebrate *me* and *my birth*” makes me roll my eyes.

For my birthday, I usually get a couple of gifts, and whatever dinner/dessert I want. That’s it. And I’m totally happy with that. If a friend of mine (or my mother) remembers to text me a “Happy Birthday” that’s just a bonus.

To be fair, the birthday-ee isn't doing this, it's his wife (who was my college roommate). She kept phrasing it like "Well this was supposed to be his birthday celebration and I don't want him to think we've forgotten him." My other friend and I are like we definitely didn't because we talked to him on the day of (WHICH WAS LAST WEEK!) and now she wants us all to go to a basketball game together at the end of November, which happens to be the exact day of another friend's birthday, when I wanted to just do a dinner so it keeps getting bigger and bigger.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2018 at 6:37 PM, IMAHUGEHDTGMFAN said:

Back in the '90s when I was a kid and all the family gathered to eat my Italian grandfather said every time the food was served "Lights. Camera. Action! Action Jackson!" I was a kid and just thought it was a funny rhyme to let us all know we could dig into the food... Haven't seen the movie but hearing Paul's Action Jackson's announcement for the 200th episode brought me back fun memories...

Was your grandfather Ned Flanders?

Os4B.gif

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Still though...

I mean, you wished him a happy birthday. As far as I'm concerned, you've done your part - lol.

I guess the only thing I could think of is did they do anything big for your birthday? Or for any of the other friends? Did they use their baby as an excuse? I don't know. A lot of this stuff seems silly to me as an adult, much less as a parent. It would be like bitching that Santa doesn't bring you presents anymore (although, sometimes he still does :) ). When you become a parent you have to except that your life has changed. It's not about your birthday, because it's not about "you" any more - or at least, it shouldn't be. And you can't expect your non-child having friends to drop everything at the drop of a hat because a specific time is convenient for you. 

Again, if they want to try to plan a friend get together just to have a good time that's one thing. There's no pressure. There's no time constraints. And it's about the group rather than the individual. However, this just seems to be all about this guy and what he wants to do (or what his wife would like to do for him or whatever). Why can't the basketball game be a different day? Why does it have to be a part of his birthday celebration? It just seems really self-centered.      

• Like 3

1 hour ago, taylorannephoto said:

To be fair, the birthday-ee isn't doing this, it's his wife (who was my college roommate). She kept phrasing it like "Well this was supposed to be his birthday celebration and I don't want him to think we've forgotten him." My other friend and I are like we definitely didn't because we talked to him on the day of (WHICH WAS LAST WEEK!) and now she wants us all to go to a basketball game together at the end of November, which happens to be the exact day of another friend's birthday, when I wanted to just do a dinner so it keeps getting bigger and bigger.

It's pretty easy. "I'm sorry. I have plans already scheduled that day. I'd go if I could."

If you want, you can go into it being someone else's actual birthday not a rescheduled birthday if you want to get petty about it. But if they can't accept you having other plans, whatever on them.

EDIT:  you can, if you want, on the day of the event, wish your friend happy belated birthday and apologize again for not being there

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

Was your grandfather Ned Flanders?

Os4B.gif

OMG, this very well could be why I was familiar with the title!

• Like 3

Just now, grudlian. said:

It's pretty easy. "I'm sorry. I have plans already scheduled that day. I'd go if I could."

If you want, you can go into it being someone else's actual birthday not a rescheduled birthday if you want to get petty about it. But if they can't accept you having other plans, whatever on them.

I agree. As a non-parent, myself, with many parent friends, I would just send my apologies that I have other plans, that I acknowledge said friends' celebration, and hope we can all get together soon. 

While I understand that my parent friends have a certain level of difficulty in making plans to "get the gang together," as it were, as we get older, it's just harder to make schedules match. You have no need to feel guilty, and I'm sorry you're being put in that position. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

I agree. As a non-parent, myself, with many parent friends, I would just send my apologies that I have other plans, that I acknowledge said friends' celebration, and hope we can all get together soon. 

While I understand that my parent friends have a certain level of difficulty in making plans to "get the gang together," as it were, as we get older, it's just harder to make schedules match. You have no need to feel guilty, and I'm sorry you're being put in that position. 

The is another alternative to just apologizing that should work.

Convince both birthday people to have the party at the same basketball game but in different sections. Arrive with one group and every 10 minutes excuse yourself to (bathroom/get a drink/concessions) then sit with the other group. Go back and forth in a Saved By The Bell manner until they catch on and it backfires in your face. 

• Like 3

I actually did mention the other friend's birthday because I was subtley trying to be like "it's no longer about him." He has no idea any of this is being planned because she wanted to surprise him with it now, but I'm still like if that's how you wanted to do this then it should've been planned at least a month ago because y'all have a fuckin baby and you're the one that keeps claiming you can't do spontaneity anymore. And she was specifically trying to plan it around when the whole group was getting together so she would move this plan if need be, but my whole thing is like - he's an adult and if his feelings are hurt because we didn't do anything for his adult birthday that's not like 21 or 30 or something milestone-y then that's on the two of y'all to deal with and not the rest of the friend group.

Cameron, they have done things for my birthday, but I'VE had to be the one to always plan it out and then tell everyone because I don't expect every one of my birthdays to be a surprise shindig. Plus they just had their first baby in June so this is really the first birthday we've all experienced with a baby in the mix. But it sounds like according to y'all this is just a rude awakening for them that life ain't gonna be filled with birthday sports games when you have kids now lol.

• Like 4

My wife is always trying to plan fun celebrations for birthdays and stuff (usually becoming frustrated in the process). Most of the time my sincerest wish would be to just be left alone for 12 hours or so. You know, watch a movie (or two), play some video games, maybe binge some TV, all uninterrupted without anyone else ever asking for a moment of my time.

It doesn't usually happen (we go out and do something because the kid will get antsy otherwise), but that's what I'd really want.  I'd say there's at least a 50% chance that's what this woman's husband really wants too.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

OMG, this very well could be why I was familiar with the title!

Most good jokes can really be explained by:

yNGA6HW.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taylorannephoto said:

I actually did mention the other friend's birthday because I was subtley trying to be like "it's no longer about him." He has no idea any of this is being planned because she wanted to surprise him with it now, but I'm still like if that's how you wanted to do this then it should've been planned at least a month ago because y'all have a fuckin baby and you're the one that keeps claiming you can't do spontaneity anymore. And she was specifically trying to plan it around when the whole group was getting together so she would move this plan if need be, but my whole thing is like - he's an adult and if his feelings are hurt because we didn't do anything for his adult birthday that's not like 21 or 30 or something milestone-y then that's on the two of y'all to deal with and not the rest of the friend group.

Cameron, they have done things for my birthday, but I'VE had to be the one to always plan it out and then tell everyone because I don't expect every one of my birthdays to be a surprise shindig. Plus they just had their first baby in June so this is really the first birthday we've all experienced with a baby in the mix. But it sounds like according to y'all this is just a rude awakening for them that life ain't gonna be filled with birthday sports games when you have kids now lol.

Yeah, I think some people do need that period of adjustment - especially if they were really social to begin with.

I feel like having kids is a lot like graduating from school or transitioning from one long term relationship to another. You have your life before and your life after. Some people have trouble letting go of the past and neglect to appreciate what they have in their present - as if their past was somehow “better” when in reality, it was just different. 

23hqp1.jpg

• Like 2