🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Shannon

Celebrate #HDTGM200 !!!

This week, our beloved How Did This Get Made is celebrating 200 episodes! That's almost 8 years and an absurd amount of bad movie watching.

We want to celebrate this milestone with all of you, the wonderful fans that keep it all going! Share your thoughts and stories and you could win a fun surprise, or get a shout out on the show!

I'm sure you're all overflowing with feelings, so some points to help get you started...

• What was your first episode of HDTGM?
  • Favorite catchphrase?
  • A clip or moment that you'll always remember? (timestamps are nice ;))
  • The episode you revisit the most
  • The movie that you loved or hated watching
  • How HDTGM fits into your weekly routine
  • What the show has meant to you after all these years or any other sappy stuff 🤧

Let us know all or some or none of these things by posting here or sharing on any social media with the hashtag #HDTGM200 and let's all celebrate HDTGM! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This is amazing Shannon! Thanks for putting this together!

I want to be able to answer all questions right now but I can't so I'm picking three and running with it lol

• Favorite catchphrase?

Always always always, "What's its mission?!" June says the BEST shit and I wish I had snagged some of that merch before Disney yanked it off the site but alas I missed that and now it's forever stuck in my mind as one of the actual best moments of the show. I have to also give a beautiful shoutout to just "bonkers" because it is this show that has put that into my everyday vocabulary lol. The amount of things I have called T to B bonkers is in and of itself a little bonkers. Have I said it enough yet? Bonkers!

• The episode you revisit the most?

"Sleepaway Camp" and "Deep Blue Sea" without a doubt. I do usually do a double feature of Deep Blue Sea and Lake Placid back to back since they were taped on the same night and PFT is in both, but DBS is the one that I absolutely love to listen to the most out of the two. And Sleepaway Camp is just a golden statue of an episode. It should go down in podcast history purely for the 10 minutes they spend trying to figure out who is related to who. It's also the episode I tell people to start on if they are just getting into the show. A perfect little nugget to get them introduced to the wild theories and hilarious banter between the three hosts and the guest. It makes me happy LITERALLY every time I listen.

• What the show has meant to you after all these years or any other sappy stuff.

God, where do I start? I think it's safe to say that as a member of this board, that this show has meant a hell of a lot to me from the get go. I was a little late getting into it, joining in 2014, but once I did I felt immediately welcomed by the crew already here and it felt like an easy transition to start posting my own thoughts and C&Os. The way that Jason, June, and Paul have brought together a large group of people who all have a love for movies (good or bad... but mostly bad lol) is absolutely astounding. I love the people that I have met because of this podcast. I love that I was able to actually MEET other fans of this podcast. I love that Paul interacts with us and chimes in and values our opinions and asks us every time to keep going because he loves reading what we have to say. Oh lord, I'm getting verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves for a bit... Anyway, this podcast above all others has never strayed away from what the core mission was supposed to be, and that's 4 friends talking about shitty movies that confound them. And now they have thousands of other friends talking along with them still trying to figure out how the FUCK did these get made??? I love this community, and I love this show, and I love Jason, June, and Paul. Thank you for 200 episodes (plus many mini eps)! Thank y'all so much for the entertainment and for staying true to who y'all are, and especially thank you for never quieting yourselves when people want you to shut up and stick to comedy. I think that above all else makes me feel safe as a fan of this show. I know this podcast and this forum are safe spaces for us all to come without fear of being ridiculed or yelled at or thrown away because any of us are not considered "normal" or what have you. Ugh I'm truly getting emotional so I better stop now lol. Thank y'all again and much love from your resident Texas photographer! ❤️

• Like 14

Thanks, Shannon, for putting this together :)

I'm not even sure where to start with this...but I'm sure I'm going to write too much.

• What was your first episode of HDTGM? -

Honestly, I can't say that I remember - probably Godzilla or one of the others that I was already familiar with. What I remember more vividly was seeing this crazy banner ad on Cracked.com of three people (I didn't know who they were at the time) Photoshopped up to look like the movie poster for Junior. To be honest, it was a long time before I mustered the courage to click on that link. But day after day, it was there - luring me in with its siren song. I don't know who made that graphic, but they did an amazing job. It caught my eye and held my attention - demanding that I give this thing a chance.

• Favorite catchphrase? -

June - "He's so small?" ; Paul - "Hello, people of Earth..." "When I worked at Blockbuster..." ; Jason - I can't think of anything specific, but I have always loved Jason's quieter moments. Especially in studio episodes, he'll say something quietly that kind of goes under the radar, but is really funny. The one that comes to mind right now was in I Know Who Killed Me and he says something like "I yelped. I Yelped Thai food restaurants because I was hungry..." Jason is incredibly witty and I love when that side of him shines from beneath the bombast (which I also love :) )  

• A clip or moment that you'll always remember? (timestamps are nice ) -

It's probably cliche at this point, but listening to them unravel the relationship of the people in the boat in Sleepaway Camp is pretty epic. 

• The episode you revisit the most -

I've always had a soft spot for Safe Haven. I also love Stayin' Alive and Tyler Perry's Temptaion: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor.

• The movie that you loved or hated watching -

HATED: Hard Ticket to Hawaii and Ninja Terminator; LOVED: Rad, Last Dragon, Miami Connection 

• What the show has meant to you after all these years or any other sappy stuff -

I'm not even sure where to begin...

I discovered HDTGM a little over four years ago. At the time, I was working a job that essentially had me behind the wheel of a car for 9-plus hours a day. While the job itself wasn't terrible, it was a pretty lonely existence. But one day, to my great fortune, I discovered this silly little bad movie podcast. Suddenly, the hours I spent on the road weren't so lonely. I had three or four friends in my ear discussing the types of movie's that I loved with the kind of humor and intelligence that I hoped I did when speaking with my own friends.

And it wasn't just that they were funny, which, of course they were, but that they were legitimately good people. You could just tell. The way they spoke and presented themselves came off as so genuine - so caring. They lacked the artifice that one often expects from celebrities.

So, the weeks began to fly by. I would laugh and feel so much joy and it made the whole work week that much more bearable. I couldn't wait for the next episode. Often, I would lay up somewhere and just listen through the newest episode before getting started with my day. It wasn't long before I wanted to be a part of the discussion. So I joined the Earwolf message boards, and, without hyperbole, it was one of my best decisions. 

Since then, coming to the boards has become a daily ritual for me. It's here that I've witnessed Paul's kindness and generosity first hand. And, for anyone who hasn't had the pleasure, Paul Scheer is, no joke, a genuinely good dude. He's always been encouraging and indulgent of us silly little forum people -our little community of continuity obsessed dumb-dumbs.

It is also here on the message boards that I met some of the best people I have ever met. (Although, I've always maintained that HDTGM has always attracted a higher quality of fan, so I guess it's not that surprising.)

There are literally too many people to name, but people whom I've formed real, lasting friendships with. People that I can't imagine going a day without speaking to at least once. The people on these boards have been with me through so many of my personal joys (the birth of my second son) and tragedies (the near-death of my father a couple of weeks ago). I know that with these people, I always have someone I can rely on. Whether it be a gif battle to pass a boring workday or a PM to ask if I'm doing okay, they are always there when I need them. These friends, whom I sincerely love, would not be in my life it weren't for HDTGM and that's something that is absolutely immeasurable.

My life has changed so much since that day I wrote my first C&O on the side of a deserted country road. The job has changed. The kids have grown up (at least a bit). And the free time I used to have to listen to episode after episode has all but evaporated. But whereas other podcasts have been dropped, and I may not have the time to listen right away anymore, HDTGM has remained a fixture in my life - and will continue to be for as long as it exists. It brings me joy. It makes me laugh. And that's a priceless commodity.

Every week, HDTGM pushes back on all of life's bull shit, and for an hour or so, you can forget about everything else as Paul Scheer, June Diane Raphael, and Jason Mantzoukas take you by the hand, look you square in the eye and ask, "Where does the butt start?"    

• Like 12

*What  was your first episode of HDTGM?

Episode number 1 Burlesque I'm a fan of Paul since 2007 - 2008 whe he was on MTV's Human Giant and I own the Season 1 DVD #humblebrag and when some link popped in my Facebook feed (maybe from Paul's Facebook Fan Page) I clicked on it and here we are all these years later (7 years later if the math and my brain don't fail me...) Extra fact: HDTGM was my first podcast experience ever, then came C.B.B., I was there too, UTU2TM, Bitch Sesh, Raised By T.V., Unspooled, Threedom, etc.

*Favorite catchphrase?

"Literally", "DumDum" "...So Upsetting"

*A clip or moment that you'll always remember? ( timestamps are nice ;))

June's Candle blowing theory in the After Earth episode... I love how first Jason already knows June is about to say something epic and for the books Paul (Scheer) was about to explain it but Jason stops him an he catches on so the two of them let June explain away not before Paul (F. Tompkins) says with a tone of disbelief in his voice "Did you really not catch" to which Paul S. And Jason jump and shush him so he doesn't blow it... Now it's 3 vs. 1 and June blows everyone away with her interpretation so much so that a contagious laughter explosion begins... That was so epic I had to do a play by play... I Love that moment!

*The episode you revisit the most

Various... Sucker Punch, All the "Fasts", Mortal Kombat, Speed 2 Cruise Control, Hackers, SleepAway Camp, Deep Blue Sea, Birdemic, 88 Minutes, The Room, From Justin To Kelly, Jack Frost, Earnest Goes to Jail, Glitter, LOL, Hard Ticket To Hawaii, The Smurfs and of course, After Earth 😉

*The movie that you loved or hated watching

Hated: Jason X, Bratz, Vampire Academy, The Covenant, The Lake House, Ninja Terminator (The episode was pretty good though), Zardoz, Tyler Perry's Temptation and Gigli.

Loved: Miami Connection, Chopping Mall, Deep Blue Sea, The Room, Birdemic, Maximum Overdrive, Con Air and SleepAway Camp.

*How HDTGM fits into your weekly routine

I listen to it whenever I have free time, its never the same time every week... And if and when I miss one or more I binge them whenever I have the time.

*What the show has meant to you after all these years or any other   sappy  stuff

Helps me keep my sanity by supporting my love of movies and the urge I have to discuss and dissect them online 😊

All joking a salad... This show has given me so much joy all these years that picking something right now just because doesn't feel right to me... Not because I can't, but because I feel I could never repay it somehow, other than of course be a die hard fan 4 life and keep writing long posts in the forum along with the marvelous forum friends which whom I respect appreciate and care deeply I send to them a sincere "You know who you are... Musical Monday Peeps!!!"

Thank you very Very VERY much June, Jason and Paul and every one behind the scenes in HDTGM and Earwolf and here's to at least 200 more episodes!!!

-Maximiliano Ruocco Rodriguez

• Like 6

What was your first episode of HDTGM?

The Punisher with Patton Oswalt and Lexie Alexander. I was part of a different message board (Oleg Rules! If you get that you're one of my peeps) where we bonded over bad 80s and 90s action movies. One day this crazy (I say with love) German guy recommended that ep and I loved it, but I wasn't quite on the podcast train yet. Sometime later, I discovered it again (I'm not sure how, probably due to my love for The League and my own [and continued involvement in] Fantasy football and the joke that I was the Andre of our league) and I listened to their ep on Cobra and totally fell in love. 

Favorite catchphrase?

Give me your baby

A clip or moment that you'll always remember? (timestamps are nice )

I don't remember the episode, but Jason talking about his love of Gilmore Girls for the first time. That lead me to the Gilmore Guys podcast and now Good Christian Fun.

The episode you revisit the most

Cobra

The movie that you loved or hated watching

Confession, I rarely watch the films unless I know them already and want to revisit or something really grabs me, but I do listen to every episode. Hudson Hawk made me realize how much i love that movie. Same with Rad

How HDTGM fits into your weekly routine

I'm a wedding DJ mostly, and that means I spend a lot my Saturdays traveling, sometimes for hours, to get to a wedding job plus an hour or two to set up. Knowing I have an hour or two of Paul, June, and Jason to keep me company every other week is a...well it's almost a blessing.

What the show has meant to you after all these years or any  sappy stuff

I don't talk about this a lot, but from May 2016 to May of 2017, I was homeless. I was working two jobs, trying to get back on my feet but as I'm sure many of you know it's hard to get back on your feet. I was living mostly in hotels, but sometimes in my car. And knowing that I had HDTGM, Paul, June, Jason, and their guests helped get me through some dark times. I remember sitting in my car, in a parking lot of a Wal-Mart waiting for my job at a restaurant to start and listening to Rad I believe it was, and just founding so much joy in that episode.  Thanks to Musical Mondays, I joined the board (Just before the High School Musical week, iirc). Thank you Paul, June, Jason, and all the behind the scenes crew of HDTGM. 

• Like 9

I don't know. It was 4-5 years ago. A friend recommended it out of nowhere and I just picked some recent episode that I had already seen the movie for. Then another and another. When I ran out of movies I had seen, I started watching movies just to listen to the episodes.

• Favorite catchphrase?
  • A clip or moment that you'll always remember? (timestamps are nice )

As Ms. Photo said, "What's its mission". Hearing this the first time is certainly up there with almost any moment from every podcast I've ever listened to. It just blew me away. Every aspect of it, from June's anger, Jason's infectious laughter. It's such a classic moment.

The Fast and Furious episodes get listened to quite a bit. Zardoz with just Paul and June because it's such a different episode and tone from the rest of the podcast.

LOVED: The Fast and Furious movies obviously. Even if they weren't doing HDTGM, I'd be watching these movies anyway. I loved Runaway because I saw part of this movie as a kid but couldn't remember what it was called. All I could remember was the heat seeking bullet. Seeing the movie for the episode finally gave me an answer to a 30 year long question I had. Disaster Artist is great for seeing everyone in the movie and I think the only HDTGM movie to make me cry

HATED:  Garbage Pail Kids which I refused to watch again after seeing it years ago and it making me nauseous. Ninja Terminator and Yes, Giorgio were both real struggles.

Every Friday, I start listening as soon as I get up. I can usually finish the episode during my morning routine before I get to work. I usually watch the movie Wednesday or Thursday night before the episode drops. The rest of the week is spent checking the boards here.

• What the show has meant to you after all these years or any other sappy stuff

I think probably the biggest impact HDTGM has had on my life is creating a really great, welcoming community here on the message boards. I tried to join the boards like a year before I posted here and made an account but couldn't post for some reason. But I eventually made another account just so I could post with everyone here. This message board is certainly of the best, most open community I've been a part of. I even watched Monster Trucks for this community and that wasn't even a HDTGM movie. And throwing in Musical Mondays and the HDTGM Classics where we get together to (re)watch older HDTGM movies is one of my highlights of every month (and I don't want to say Unspooled's Facebook group stole that from us, but I can't rule that out...).

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, EvRobert said:

I don't remember the episode, but Jason talking about his love of Gilmore Girls for the first time. That lead me to the Gilmore Guys podcast and now Good Christian Fun.

As a huge Gilmore Girls fan, I was super glad to hear Jason mention them the first time (and I out loud shrieked when Jason showed up in the revival).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grudlian. said:

As a huge Gilmore Girls fan, I was super glad to hear Jason mention them the first time (and I out loud shrieked when Jason showed up in the revival).

Me too! I was like "JASON!" I can't remember a show I've been happier to see him on with the possible exception of The Good Place

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, EvRobert said:

Me too! I was like "JASON!" I can't remember a show I've been happier to see him on with the possible exception of The Good Place

Yeah. His appearances on Good Place are great because it's a guy I like on a show I like. But Gilmore Girls felt so good because I knew he was a huge fan of the show from hearing him on Gilmore Guys. I'm sure I cried when it happened. There's an episode of Gilmore Guys where he mentioned Hop Along as a record he liked and they played half of a song which they never do. I liked what I heard and bought the album. They have since become easily my favorite band of the last 10 years or more and I've traveled to see them live several times and met the band. And it's weird to me that I might never have heard of them if he hadn't said anything in one podcast.

• Like 2

Since the very beginning. To make a short story longer, I was listening to Comedy Death Radio back in it's early early days, like episode 7 or so. I was always a fan of Paul's from Human Giant and various things he did and I remember him coming on to promote this new show he was doing with his wife and friend Jason. I love movies and Paul so of course I was going to tune it. I was instantly sold and in love and have never looked back.

• Favorite catchphrase?

Not sure if it is a catch phrase per say but whenever I hear Jason or Paul in a real serious tone say "June, what did you think this was about?" or any similar phrase that  starts with "June..." I start laughing before she can even respond in pure anticipation. Not strictly catchphrases but any Paul's Blockbuster or sad childhood stories and Jason's "Ladies, I'm single" moments always get me good too.

• A clip or moment that you'll always remember? (timestamps are nice )

Deep dives on JVCD's buns, June thirsting for Ernest, Sleepaway Camp confusion, Blowing out the candles, What is it's mission, spaghetti robots, what is a street fighter, and many many more. Honestly, I don't know the timestamps for them all are but if we could just get a compilation of Paul's Blockbuster stories I would be happy.

On a personal note, I'll never forget when my Sharknado 3 comment was read and all the really nice things Paul had to say about it. 

Sleepaway Camp, After Earth, Congo, lots of the ones with Jessica St. Claire

Loved: RAD, The Wraith, Airborne and others in combination with movies I already loved like The Last Dragon or Miami Connection

Hated: Seriously, fuck The Lake House.

It's my Friday going home from work routine. For me the episode is released almost exactly when I finish work on Friday so I get to listen to it while I take my near hour long commute home. It's like starting my weekend off with a bang and ending my week with a laugh. Thursday is longest work day of the week and is also the night I watch a good 80% of the movies for the show. It's my punishment/reward for a long day's work. 

• What the show has meant to you after all these years or any other sappy stuff 

I'll start off with the fluff first because that's easier than talking about feelings. I live in Japan so my options for streaming a lot of these things are limited. This means I often have to research the movie and go out and find a physical copy. This has led me to finding some other great bad movies but has also made me laugh a lot at the sometimes weirdly translated titles and promotional materials. Often trying to find a reason or why to the change is fun and interesting to me.

On a deeper and more emotional level it is honestly all the incredible people I've met her on the forums for this show. It's starting to sound a bit like old hat at this point but it's so very true. I was listening to the show from the start but never thought about participating. I was having fun just listening. Then I noticed something in the first Sharknado movie, and I came to ask a question which was ignored. In fairness to the people at the time asking about a convenience store that is shown for less than a second in a very dry manner, not the best way to start. Then I started reading the mini-episode threads in which everybody was just talking. Some of it was about the movie and some of it was just talking about music, their lives, etc. I replied to one, and somebody responded back. So I wrote more and more people responded and I responded in kind. Just like that without any questioning or judging I was accepted by all the wonderful people here. It became a joy to check in every day and just see what people were up to or what they were listening to and things like that. I did my best to try and entertain people with silly stories or weird deep dives of small details that got to me.

This year in September marks the 11th anniversary of my father's passing. Being away from home and not just away but far away made it very hard. I was very depressed for awhile naturally, but I thought I had got over it and got the best of it. I thought I had a handle on it because years had gone by and I was feeling better. Then about two years ago I had a string of very unfortunate things happen and I slowly became very depressed again. It was at this point I realized it wasn't a temporary thing because of my father's passing but it was something that had always been there that I had learned ways of hiding, ignoring and pushing it away. It took awhile but I started talking to professionals and soon things got better again. It was at this point I realized that I should focus on things that make me happy and brought me joy and one of those things was being here and interacting with everyone. When I came back I was warmly greeted and it was like I had never left and I realized how much coming here truly meant to me.

Not only that but how much all of you guys meant to me. Though I have not physically met any of you, I have talked to a lot of you for a long time and do consider you friends. So much so I will refer to things you have said as "my friend said this" in daily conversations. It means a lot to me that random people that I have never met are willing to share so much of their lives and their personal problems, fears, desires, etc. with me. I feel some of the friendships that I have made here are stronger than some of the ones I've made in real life. I don't take it that lightly either. I am very humbled anytime anybody cares to hear what I have to say about something or even simply wants to know what's going on with me and my life. I feel like I can't scrape together enough words or the right words to say how I feel about the friends I've made and the people I've met here. Now with the ever growing MM threads and the rabb.it viewings and Unspooled I feel like I'm just getting to spend more and more time with people I like, getting to know more about them and even meeting new ones along the way. So simply thank you all for being there and thank you all for being so awesome.

P.S: Though Ted Neeley handsomeness reports have stopped temporarily and the fact you all poo-pooed her raisin coleslaw my mother still checks in with me about you guys by asking me "what are your movies friends up to?"

• Like 12

Reading everyone else's responses so far made me cry. I love all y'all dumb-dumbs so much it's literally bonkers. This is truly the best community and I feel so incredibly fucking lucky to have y'all in my life.

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

Reading everyone else's responses so far made me cry. I love all y'all dumb-dumbs so much it's literally bonkers. This is truly the best community and I feel so incredibly fucking lucky to have y'all in my life.

I feel 100% the same way. Love you, guys.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

As a relative newbie, I feel the same about this place. I had a hard time setting up an account up until the time the most recent changes were made to the page. I'm so glad to no longer be a lurker, and to have a community of people who have very thoughtful, kind, insightful things to say about movies, and the world. It's a great respite from everything else.  

Longer post with actual responses later. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

As a relative newbie, I feel the same about this place. I had a hard time setting up an account up until the time the most recent changes were made to the page. I'm so glad to no longer be a lurker, and to have a community of people who have very thoughtful, kind, insightful things to say about movies, and the world. It's a great respite from everything else.  

Longer post with actual responses later. 

I'm so glad you were finally to come aboard. It's been great to have you here! Like I said, HDTGM attracts only the best. :)

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

24 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

giphy.gif

• Like 8

What was your first episode of HDTGM?

Star Wars Holiday Special. Downloaded it to listen to around Christmas 2016 before discovering that the show was not actually a look at how bad movies got made. Rediscovered it on a very long solo drive back from viewing the 2017 eclipse and fell in love. Finished that episode and went on to Garbage Pail kids and more. Made the 4-hour remaining drive bearable.

Favorite catchphrase?

“GEOSTOOOORRRM!” is the first one that comes to mind. “Putterinabra!” would be my least favorite for getting too run into the ground.

The guy in Lake Placcid saying something like “I know of a metal tank in Portland that we can have...” also “Everyone’s a comedian, sarcastic.”

The episode you revisit the most- I’m not big on re-listening to episodes, especially since I haven’t been through all 200 existing ones yet.

The movie that you loved or hated watching- 

Did’t watch it for this show, but “Deck the Halls” is about the second-worst movie I’ve ever seen.

How HDTGM fits into your weekly routine- Listen to it while I’m doing household chores.

What the show has meant to you after all these years or any other sappy stuff It means I can get my household chores done!

• Like 3

Okay, long sappy post now: 

I don't remember the exact first one. I had been introduced to the podcast during a weekend about three years ago with my brother/best friend as we have always bonded over quoting movies to each other and our love for B-movies. My first few episodes were probably Masters of the Universe, Airborne, and Hackers because those were some of my favorites growing up. I just adored how Jason, June, and Paul treated each of the movies with the kind of nerdy love I always felt, ad they were just so funny. I've been working my way through the backlog since then. 

Favorite catchphrase?

"Hows yo' dick?" by Nicole Byer re: JCVD's splits. 

The one that immediately comes to mind is from The Lake House episode when Aisling Bea and Jason were going back and forth about time-travel-magic-mailbox sex. That made me laugh uncontrollably at my desk with tears running down my face. Of course there's also the Sleepaway Camp episode already mentioned. And basically everything June said during the Striptease episode. 

Was just re-visiting The Lake House this morning since I finally watched it for the first time on Neflix. I could listen to that one over and over. I haven't revisited a lot of them, though, because I'm still working through the archives.

Loved: Hercules in New York, Miami Connection, The Room, Xanadu, Can't Stop the Music, Teen Witch, The Last Dragon, Sleepaway Camp

Hated: Theodore Rex, Batman & Robin, Tiptoes

What the show has meant to you after all these years or any other sappy stuff

The show itself provides a bright spot to my week that I look forward to every Friday. It's a great way to start off the weekend after dealing with the seemingly unrelenting chaos of the rest of the world. It's just an hour or so each week when I can relax and just enjoy some silliness and laughter over some really fun movies I might not have otherwise experienced. I also love nerding out over the movies and episodes with my brother when we have a chance to get together (he's in my home state of WI and I live in DC). The boards have provided a whole new level of engaging with movies, and the community in ways I don't necessarily have the opportunity to do. (Let's be honest, not everyone is so bonkers over bonkers movies!). The respect and acceptance everyone shows toward each other makes this a really special place. It brings a lot of just pure joy.

I don't think I'm as articulate as I'd like to be, but its just heartwarming to have found this place and this podcast. I echo the thanks and love to Paul, June, Jason, their guests, and everyone at Earwolf who keeps these forums and the shows running.

• Like 9

Thank you so much for setting this up Shannon!

I think it was the first Twilight one that Doug Benson. It was love at first listen. I know that I obsessively listened to Catwoman, Leprechaun In The Hood, I Know Who Killed Me, Sucker Punch and Jingle All The Way right after

Favorite catchphrase?

oh that is a hard one. I know that I now use phrases like Absolutely Bonkers, Cuckoo Bananas, Next Level Crazy a lot in my every day life but I really love :

The one and only June Diane Raphael:

WHAT'S IT'S MISSION?! (I so regret not getting a tote bag when I could have. Honestly I will go to my deathbed regretting it) 

Just because something is difficult DOESN'T MEAN ITS GOOD (I 100% agree btw)

Where's Scribbles???

Paul: Put her in a bra! 

Where does the butt start?

(really any story of Paul's childhood but that's more a favorite moment)

Jason:

GIVE ME YOUR BABY ( 2 episodes)

Help me Betty White with an urn if ashes (The Last Dragon)

from Nick Kroll on the From Justin To Kelly show about the awful outfit one of the male characters was in:

A Sarong never felt so right! (I don't know why but it's always stayed with me)

Nicole Byer  Bloodsport episode (  about the audience member who did the splits) HOW's YO DICK?! (Asking the important questions I personally want to know as ALWAYS!)

A clip or moment that you'll always remember? 

The moment in Howard The Duck where June is trying to prove Howard tried to fly and he does and she screams THERE! RIGHT FUCKING THERE!!! I love how triumphant and vindicated she is. It was EVERYTHING! I (quietly) scream it to myself when I finally find stuff I've been searching for. (Starts talking about it around 47:51. They move on. They look at the DVD around 1:14:00. Sticher suddenly stopped working for me so I hope that's close enough?)

The monologues from Miami Connection

The Faberge Egg discussion in Freejack (As a history nerd who likes jewelry history I was losing my FUCKING MIND )

Teen Witch, Bloodsport, Miami Connection, Hard Ticket To Hawaii, Hercules In New York, Howard The Duck, 

The movie that you loved or hated watching

Loved: Rad, Teen Witch, Body Rock 

Hated: Hurricane Heist Blues Brothers 2000

My mind was so blown I can't even: A Night In Heaven

How HDTGM fits into your weekly routine

I have a really hard time sleeping. I've always been a late night person so I usually stay up every Thursday night until it's technically Friday and the episode has been uploaded.  I'm disabled and mostly volunteer here and there in between doctors visits so I don't usually have to get up early and can usually get away with it most weeks. It's also really helpful when I'm trying to get to sleep but my mind won't turn off so I just put on an episode and fall asleep. Though that has resulted in me having weird dreams about Paul,June, and Jason visiting my grandmother's house....

On the upside dream Jason tried to teach me how to make a citrus sugar body scrub so that was cool.

What the show has meant to you after all these years or any other sappy stuff

Ok so I'm going to get kind of dark and depressing for a bit. I think about a year and a half or a year or so after I found the podcast one of my 5 uncle's died. 14 months later my mom (these are all her brothers) also died suddenly. A year after that a great aunt died. Then my grandmother and her dog were killed on their way to my apartment the next year.  A few months later? My best friend and cat both died suddenly on the same day. My last remaining cat died the next year. I had six years where I was just... surrounded by death and misery. I might not have been as close to my great aunt or uncle but people who I love were .  I had never lived alone before my mom died and suddenly I was all alone. Losing my grandmother and best friend two and a half years later made it feel worse.

One of the things that honestly kept me from just curling up and giving up was this podcast.  

Whenever I feel the sadness or anxiety I put on this.

When I was alone for the first time in my first shitty apartment I would come home from class and I would have episodes downloaded onto my laptop because I lived to far out to get internet.  This podcast helped me feel less isolated and alone.  It reminds me there's joy and light in the world. Bad movies and comedy so there's got to be something worthwhile in this crazy world . 

I was so excited this past June to get to go to finally see the show live in Chicago and it was WONDERFUL. Even though I was running late and had a panic attack trying to get my cab , the second I sat down it was fun and delightful I honestly laughed my anxiety away?  I've never gotten over a panic attack so quickly.

I'm kind of new to the boards compared to some people and everyone has been so welcoming and has made the podcast even better. I look forward to Friday's every week to not just hear the podcast and what Paul, Jason, and  June are going to talk about but also what all my fellow Balcony Monsters have to say (let's admit it We're all balcony monsters at heart)! 

• Like 10

Mr. Nanny. I was hooked right away, and as soon as I got home, I found the movie to check out the guy tossing the dog into the water. I'd seen the movie 5-6 times before and never noticed!

Favorite catchphrase?

Look at my username, and take a wild guess.

The first moment I knew right away would be an instant classic was June's "They're here!" freak out during Runaway, when she thought Lois the Robot had taken over her electronics to listen to This American Life.

No Holds Barred. The grunts, Hulk impressions... just hilarious! Some friends and I now call each other Jock-ass and say, "Take a leak!" all the time.

Miami Connection is one of my favorite movies of all time now. I even own a Dragon Sound shirt!

Super Mario Bros. bored me to tears. I didn't find it entertaining at all, even in a bad way.

I check for the mini-episode immediately on Friday to find out the next movie. I tend to listen to the latest full episode whenever I have a long-ish car ride or am cleaning the house, whichever comes first.

I actually came about HDTGM during a rough patch in my life. I'd just started an hour-long commute to a job I ended up hating. It was a toxic work environment that had me stressed to the point I'd feel nauseated and couldn't sleep. Having this podcast on during those drives distracted me from the dread of going into work and allowed me to relax after leaving. It was the lighthearted break from life that I needed (I left the job after a year), and I'll forever be thankful to Paul, June, and Jason for that.

• Like 6

Probably Maximum Overdrive. Someone on another movie discussion forum I was in recommended it in a thread about podcasts. I saw this near the top and gave it a listen, because it was a movie I was already pretty well familiar with (as a big AC/DC fan). Loved it immediately. Andy Daly was a great guest star, and as a fan of The League I already knew Paul and Jason's work very well. I went back and listened to whatever episodes dealt with movies I'd already seen.

Favorite catchphrase?

"What's up jerks!"

This is because I often now listen to episodes in the car with my wife, and our three-year-old has heard enough intros that he now knows when this line is coming and says it along with Jason. It's very cute.

"What's it's mission?"

I don't really go back very much, but I did return to the Bloodsport one.

Loved: Bloodsport, and most recently Action Jackson!

Hated: Garbage Pail Kids was very unpleasant.

My wife and I always find time to watch the movie coming up (sometimes I have to push for it), then listen to it over the weekend, usually driving around in the car (with the long episodes now it often takes multiple trips).

I just love seeing these movies as a palate cleanser. Mostly I'm looking to see as many good movies as possible (for example, what Paul is covering on Unspooled), but sometimes you need to see something inept to remind you of what that looks like. Getting one every other week is a good reminder.

• Like 5

Ah I don't have a ton of time to really dive into these but here are some quick answers

Halloween 3, which is odd in retrospect because I'm not a fan of scary movies. Don't know why it made me tune in but it was a great intro because it was just the three of them 

Favorite catchphrase? 

'Literally bonkers'. 

A clip or moment that you'll always remember?

PFT's rant about David E Kelley on the Lake Placid episode and the What's Its Mission story

Lake Placid, Deep Blue Sea, Temptation of a Marriage Counselor, From Justin to Kelly, Solarbabies and Howard the Duck - I honestly am hesitant to get a new phone to lose these downloaded episodes. 

It was really my intro into comedy podcasts - from here I learned about Comedy Bang Bang, Spontaneanation, Off Book, etc. It was such a joy to add to my long commute! Plus, it introduced me to a lot of guests that I ended up really loving as well. 

Even though lately I've been quiet on the Forums (I just quit my job and start a new one soon so I'm all of the sudden busy at work, which is when I normally hung out here!) but I love talking to everyone here, especially Musical Mondays and the monthly group re-watching. Its been nice to have all of these new internet friends that have the same sense of humor and are fun to talk to. 

Thanks to Paul, June and Jason to starting this podcast and opening this space to all of us! 

• Like 8

Reading all of these is making me feel like the Grinch when his heart grows ! I love you guys so much and I'm so glad that this podcast has brought all of us weirdos together to bask in our complementary weirdness. 💕💕💕

• Like 9

What was your first episode of HDTGM? - Con Air

Favorite catchphrase? - "We get it, you have friends"

A clip or moment that you'll always remember? (timestamps are nice ) - Sorry, no timestamp, but the Faberge eggs rant during the Freejack: Live had me in tears. I have listened to that digression many times; just thinking about it makes me smile.

The episode you revisit the most - Freejack, Jason X

The movie that you loved or hated watching - loved the most - Rad

How HDTGM fits into your weekly routine - listen on the way to work (walk to and ride metro) a couple times a week.

What the show has meant to you after all these years or any other sappy stuff - I love sharing with people who haven't listened, and then hearing their reaction.  I absolutely love the connection with the hosts when the special guest is Jessica St. Claire!

• Like 4

What was your first episode of HDTGM? I think the first episode I listened to was Theodore Rex and the first episode I joined in on the forums was the Star Wars Holiday Special. 

Favorite catchphrase?  Before it was run into the ground - is this a Jacob's Ladder situation?

A clip or moment that you'll always remember? (timestamps are nice ;)) – Two moments come to mind.  The View To a Kill episode (around 54:30) - the gang goes into a riff about the guys who make the models and maps for super villains.  And then Matt Gourley chimes in at the end saying that he has yet to see a flaw in this movie.  Second, I can’t remember the episode, but I love Paul’s anecdote about how he once tried to French kiss his mother.  If anyone remembers the episode, please let me know!

The episode you revisit the most – I don’t revisit any of the episodes (too much new content to keep up with), but I have relistened to the PFT episodes.  

The movie that you loved or hated watching – I thank HDTGM for introducing me to Miami Connection and hate HDTGM for introducing me to Garbage Pail Kids.

How HDTGM fits into your weekly routine – I listen to the episode on my commutes and try not to burst into laughter on public transportation.

What the show has meant to you after all these years or any other sappy stuff - I'm thankful that the show introduced me to the special community here.  I was introduced to HDTGM by my trainer at the time, who recommended HDTGM and Joe Rogan’s podcast.  Imagine how different things could’ve turned out for me if I had gotten hooked to Joe Rogan’s podcast instead?

• Like 7