🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 200 - Action Jackson: LIVE!

23 hours ago, grudlian. said:

I have a genuine question:  was this movie meant to be a comedy/parody of action movies? I don't think it's as meta as Last Action Hero, but I think there are parts where the movie that know how jokey this is. 

• The origin of the movie is just guys sitting around talking about an action movie and I've definitely had these kind of conversations that devolve into my friends laughing at how ridiculous our ideas get.
  • Carl Weathers definitely has some reactions and line readings that come across as aware of itself. Almost winking at the camera kind of performance in spots. I think Carl Weathers is a good enough actor to at least play it more serious if that's what the role demands.
  • There are puns so bad I'm not sure they could be unintentional. Burning a person then saying chill out makes so little sense it almost has to be a joke right?
  • This movie is right at the cusp of action stars playing with their personas and the genre itself. Big Trouble In Little China was pretty recent. Robocop had just come out and, while it's not a comedy, there are a lot of intentionally humorous parts. Sledge Hammer! was in the middle of its run. Twins comes out later this year (not an action movie but an action star doing comedy).

I don't think this movie is as smart as True Lies or Austin Powers or other action comedies/genre parodies. I just think it's a little bit aware of how goofy it is instead of just inept filmmaking. Definitely some of this movie is just lazy writing that doesn't make sense but some of it feels to me that there is a little bit of "wouldn't it be funny if..." going on here.

I didn't know a lot about this movie going into it and I would say I was about halfway through before I realized that it wasn't a comedy. Until then I thought this was like some early Black Dynamite level stuff. Another point to add to your list are just weird extras. There are tons of them. The man in drag with the purse was mentioned but there are tons of them. There is a cop wearing a bright oragne Hawaiian shirt which is just so out of place. I spent a lot of this movie just staring at the background people. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, alcontrasticon said:

Paul mentioned how nice Jericho's apt was for a police Sergeants salary but no one mentioned that his apartment building had a valet, Jericho clearly tipped the valet $5 and the dialogue hinted that Jericho always tips the valet well.   If Jericho ONLY leaves to go to work 5 days a week and tips $5 each time he returns that comes to $1300/year. Currently a Detroit Police Sergeant salary is between $58K and $81K which adjusted for inflation would have been $28K to $38K in 1988. Jericho was likely giving his valet 4.7% to 3.4% of his PRE-TAX salary and the valet drove his car like a dick! Plus being divorced he is probably also paying alimony as well. 

edit: Jericho is living outside his means!

Now factor in his $10 a game gambling habit. 

• Like 1

I know June watches TLC's 90-Day Fiancé so I'm hoping she saw this. In case you guys don't watch (and, I mean, good for you...), this was in last night's episode. More of a statue than a "dummy," but still creepy. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 11.04.06 AM.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

Now factor in his $10 a game gambling habit. 

From Action Jackson IMDB page... "Carl Weathers later called the film:  A creation that came about when I was doing Predator and talking to Joel Silver, who loved blaxploitation movies. Joel said, "Well, you know, why don't you put something together?" So during that time of shooting down in Puerto Vallarta, I created this story and came up with this guy — or at least this title —Action Jackson. And Joel found a writer [who] wrote the screenplay, and that was it. We got it made.[1]"

10 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

I didn't know a lot about this movie going into it and I would say I was about halfway through before I realized that it wasn't a comedy. Until then I thought this was like some early Black Dynamite level stuff. Another point to add to your list are just weird extras. There are tons of them. The an in drag with the purse was mentioned but there are tons of them. There is a cop wearing a bright oragne Hawaiian shirt which is just so out of place. I spent a lot of this movie just staring at the background people. 

From Action Jackson IMDB page... "Carl Weathers later called the film:  A creation that came about when I was doing Predator and talking to Joel Silver, who loved blaxploitation movies. Joel said, "Well, you know, why don't you put something together?" So during that time of shooting down in Puerto Vallarta, I created this story and came up with this guy — or at least this title —Action Jackson. And Joel found a writer [who] wrote the screenplay, and that was it. We got it made.[1]"

15 hours ago, ManScene ManVoice said:

Long time listener, first time posting. Was any one else concerned about Seth’s laughter? I thought he was going to die! 

Listen to any other interview with him and you'll understand that this is just standard Seth Rogen laughter.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2018 at 6:32 AM, pscudese said:

3) On a side note, here is a handy chart to show all the crossover actors who appeared in this movie, but also Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Commando and Predator. As I call this film... It's the Kevin Bacon of 80s Action Films.

2xelHme.png

That Asian dude from Die Hard will always be Genghis Khan from Bill & Ted to me.

• Like 2

Ok, so is Action Jackson a good cop?  I mean, he comes face-to-face with the delivery man/hit man:

gbEqY79m.png

Shouldn't he have noticed that his uniform says "APS"?

V7YT6cul.png

• Like 2

Guess I should listen to the whole episode before posting... here’s the poster that says his hobby is fighting crime  

DF06302B-45F1-4C34-BB9A-5FEB4811D721.jpeg

Edited by RyanHorn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tomspanks said:

But.....this was in Detroit?

Would APS have fit in the 2014 Action Jackson film then?

Fits just fine to me 😎

• Like 2

I'd like to bring attention to that song, "Faraway Eyes" that Vanity sings to Coach. I mean, WTF? I I suppose it's a testament to Vanity's performance that she can almost sell this in the scene, but it's a complete word salad of a song:

I'd like to tell you a story

'Bout a man and the many hearts he broke

Eye to eye, you only imagine 'cause you wanna fall in love

Girls, he'll break your hearts

Do you wrong, tell you lies

'Cause he's got those

Faraway eyes

Faraway eyes, how you feel, baby?

Faraway eyes

Boy, you're a heartbreaker

Still, I've got to make you mine, oh oh

I had a dream that someday, I'd be so very happy

Have daughters and sons to call my very own

But then you came into my life

Well, rehearse lines and romance, darling, no, no

Only now to look up and find you gone

You throw with me those Faraway eyes

Faraway eyes

Boy, you're a heartbreaker

Still, I've got to make you mine

Crazy maybe, baby

My friends keep telling me to find myself another man now, honey

So much I can't tell 'cause they don't understand, no, no, no

You show me ways of love, that I-I-I-I never knew before, darling, no no

You're my one and only

Open up my door

And love me with your

Faraway eyes

Faraway eyes

You're my one and only

Come into my door

Baby, baby, keep on loving me with your

Faraway eyes

Faraway eyes

Boy, you're a heartbreaker...

The part about the having daughters and sons?? 😂

Also, apparently the Stones had their own song called "Far Away Eyes." It had a slightly different tone. And by different, I mean rape-y. 

• Like 2

I have a theory re: what "sexual psychopath" might mean. In the movie there's two very uncomfortable instances where Coach either kisses a dead woman or drugs a woman he's about to sleep with. Given that he doesn't seem to care too much for his family, and that he enjoys a good framing, I wonder if he set his son up once he "had to go" to make it look like the son was in fact guilty of the same "sexual psychopath" activity that Coach engages in. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

Listen to any other interview with him and you'll understand that this is just standard Seth Rogen laughter.

He sounded a bit ‘tuned up’ at the he beginning

On 10/29/2018 at 11:54 AM, pscudese said:

From Action Jackson IMDB page... "Carl Weathers later called the film:  A creation that came about when I was doing Predator and talking to Joel Silver, who loved blaxploitation movies. Joel said, "Well, you know, why don't you put something together?" So during that time of shooting down in Puerto Vallarta, I created this story and came up with this guy — or at least this title —Action Jackson. And Joel found a writer [who] wrote the screenplay, and that was it. We got it made.[1]"

And just in time for the 200th episode, we FINALLY answered the question How Did This Get Made?!

• Like 5

I wish there was a sequel with Arnold as the villain. 

Tagline: For every Action, there’s an equal and opposite Reaction.

That got dumber as I wrote it out. 

• Like 1

Fun Fact: Some of the Toy Story film makers are fans of Carl Weathers character in Action Jackson. His performance partially inspired the character of "Combat Carl" who is voice by Weathers. He's in the first film but his character had a leading role in the short Toy Story of Terror!

1800559029_ScreenShot2018-10-30at5_13_29PM.png.8c94e97ebfa5189a07e1b03a756f3754.png  

• Like 4

It's been awhile but it's time for a brief return of...

How Did This Get Named?

The main reason for the absence of this corner is because nothing has had a different name. Everything has had the exact same name. Heck, in fact Action Jackson only really has a bit of an unusual subtitle. So why even bring it up? Well because I found a poster from here that has the best tagline and it's in English."

mko09887-img600x450-1479395241pdpjcu2214

"Attacks you!!"

Also can't tell if this a good use of empty space or not. However, not as funny but the VHS cover is also slightly interesting.

2bd7a1909fa0917d1de80210.L.jpg

Vanity three times on one cover. They know the true selling point of this movie.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

Vanity three times on one cover. They know the true selling point of this movie.

I think one of them is Sharon Stone...?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomspanks said:

I think one of them is Sharon Stone...?

You're right the top corner is.  My bad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jumbo Shrimp said:

I wish there was a sequel with Arnold as the villain. 

Tagline: For every Action, there’s an equal and opposite Reaction.

That got dumber as I wrote it out. 

Last Action Jackson Hero?

• Like 1