đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
JulyDiaz

Episode 200 - Action Jackson: LIVE!

Seth Rogen joins Paul, June, and Jason to discuss the 1988 action film Action Jackson starring Carl Weathers on the 200th episode of How Did This Get Made! Recorded live from Largo at the Coronet in Los Angeles, they talk about Craig T. Nelson doing karate, Action Jackson driving a car inside a house, Dee at the barbershop, Vanity doing a solo performance for Craig T. Nelson, and much more. Plus, Paul breaks down the film term “Man and Woman Scene.”

Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson here: http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/

Check out our new website over at www.hdtgminfo.com!

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli…wdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

@PaulScheer on Instagram & Twitter

@Junediane on IG and @MsJuneDiane on Twitter

Jason is still not on Twitter

Dear Paul,

Please have us watch every movie Vanity was ever in for HDTGM.  (There's only like 10.)

Thanks,

President of the Vanity Fan Club

• Like 8

Most sweaty and soaked hero since rock in fast 5 and villian disappears 48mins in and does appear for 31mins at 119mins. 2 predator references a poster on street and the dangerous indian is the drug dealer 

COD is also short for 'cause of death'.

That statue. At first I assumed it was one of the ninja guys hiding back there, but I guess it was just a high art, like a commentary about black roles in white society, but it straight up looks like someone in a zentai suit wearing a maid's uniform and a wig. Like I can't see a stand or anything holding it up. I hope someone can provide backstory on that.

wtf.jpg

• Like 2

Dellaplane reminded me a lot of a certain someone in this movie. Doesn't really care about his dirtbag son, pissed he was humiliated by a black man, super corrupt businessman, terrible to his previous wife, women have to be high to have sex with him...

• Like 2

Paul, I made the same mistake in renting this movie. Four minutes in, I was so in love with this movie, that I paused the movie and went on Amazon to see if I could upgrade to purchase. They were able to refund the rental price so that I could purchase it.

Also, Halley's comet is pronounced HAL-ee rhyming with Adam Pally. It is not HAIL-ee.

• Like 1

I love these two hidden gems...

1. During one of the man / woman scenes on the street, you can see posters for Predator along the wall:

auzaHhd.png

2) After being pick-pocketed, we see Action Jackson's wallet stating he was born in 1938. Wow! The filmakers made a conscious effort to say Jericho is 50 yo? Where was the "I'm getting too old for this shit" comment?

wbtcnpU.png

3) On a side note, here is a handy chart to show all the crossover actors who appeared in this movie, but also Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Commando and Predator. As I call this film... It's the Kevin Bacon of 80s Action Films.

2xelHme.png

• Like 9

I have a theory on crime in this movie. They speculate on why pickpocketing is so serious and why the most badass, most educated cop, Jericho Jackson, is a laughing stock on the force.

This movie takes place in 1988 Detroit and, in 1987, Detroit released Robocop to clean up the streets. So, I think this movie takes place in a world where Robocop has functionally taken care of most street crime. What we have left is pickpockets and the crazy justice of Action Jackson is no longer needed.

Also, both movies feature car commercials. Robocop had the SUX9000 and Action Jackson had the Hot Hotter Hottest car. 

• Like 5

Congrats and thanks for 200 episodes!  HDTGM is a true source of joy.

My question is what was Coach's original assassination plan for the president of the AWA?  When he is having lunch with him to set up the party and the assassination he has no idea that Action Jackson will be involved and he'll have him as the fall guy.  So Coach thought the best place to murder someone is at his house with tons of witnesses and no one to frame?

In regards to the pickpocket taking Jackson's wallet the best I can come up with is that Jackson needed to be without his wallet for the weird pool hall scene because those guys would have searched him and found out he was a cop and then the "he's my touched in the head brother" rescue wouldn't have worked.  That is me doing a lot of work for the movie though.  They should have added an ADR line from a pool hall goon saying "we didn't find evidence to contradict your story" to Vanity.

I had to go back and re-listen to the Action Boyz episode about Action Jackson to make sure I wasn't accidentally repeating their points.  For anyone who doesn't know about Action Boyz I think it would appeal to a lot of HDTGM fans.  It is three guys (Jon Gabrus, Ryan Stanger, Ben Rodgers) breaking down classic action movies.  They do it in a more beat by beat way than HDTGM but with plenty of hilarious detours along the way.  It is a Patreon podcast so it isn't free but there are some free episodes in the High and Mighty podcast feed to check out.  I think it is great but fair warning Jason would not be the Jason of this group if you catch my meaning so it won't be for everyone.

• Like 4

Just like Jason, I own this on VHS as well and watched it all the time when I was younger, lol.

However, until this last time I watched it, I never realized all the connections to 80's action movies this has (mainly Predator).

Carl was in Predator w/Arnie, but 2 of the others on the team (Mac, Billy) are in this as well. Also, the guy who Arnie kills on the plane in Commando is in this as well. 

Also, there's a scene where they hit a guy onto a spike and impale him--that happened in Commando as well. 

Also, multiple people from Die Hard are in this as well (short Asian guy, blond guy who manned the front desk). 

Long story short, this movie is all about the ACTION (and keeping it in the family). 

Lastly, on a side note, is Vanity now the Queen of HDTGM? She's been in three of the movies (Action, Last Dragon, Stargrove John Stamos movie)

I was never really one for action movies so I know Carl Weathers best from his time as "himself" on Arrested Development. 

I don't know how many times I've thought "Baby you got a stew going!" As I threw stuff out.  

• Like 3

The second opinion song was really great this week. 

I love Carl Weathers. I want to talk to the guy who works with him more.

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, gigitastic said:

I was never really one for action movies so I know Carl Weathers best from his time as "himself" on Arrested Development. 

I don't know how many times I've thought "Baby you got a stew going!" As I threw stuff out.  

Maebe even laments to George Michael that her dad has a man-crush on Action Jackson.

• Like 3

When I found out my babysitter’s dad edited this movie, I was so excited that I raced to twitter to write the following thread. 

• Like 2

I would like to know which potential sequel name is more unpronounceable: Action Jackson's Son or Action Jackson and Son? 

Whichever it is, I want that to be the name of the sequel. 

Can we talk about how Craig T. Nelson should play a bad guy more often because he has a creepy vibe? I didn't watch COACH but when he was on Grace and Frankie I was really grossed out by his hair. I was like Jane Fonda is out of his league!

• Like 4

Anyone who thinks "hold on to your dick" isn't handy, pertinent advice clearly doesn't remember King Missile:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

I would like to know which potential sequel name is more unpronounceable: Action Jackson's Son or Action Jackson and Son? 

Whichever it is, I want that to be the name of the sequel. 

Can we talk about how Craig T. Nelson should play a bad guy more often because he has a creepy vibe? I didn't watch COACH but when he was on Grace and Frankie I was really grossed out by his hair. I was like Jane Fonda is out of his league!

How about "Fraction Jackson, Son of Action"

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, The_Triple_Lindy said:

How about "Fraction Jackson, Son of Action"

Oh making it even longer is a good idea. Maybe we can put a colon and a top comma in there some how.

One note, I know Fraction was suggested in the episode but it does actually rhyme with Action, and I think that is a mistake.

• Like 3