🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 200 - Action Jackson: LIVE!

I have nothing to add to this other than this movie was fucking awesome. Also randomly enough, my brother made Seth Rogen's wedding cake, so I hope he enjoyed it. 

• Like 4

On  the  topic of the Action Jaction action figure  from Mego, you can buy one right now from target...

https://www.target.com/p/mego-action-jackson-jumpsuit-action-figure-8/-/A-53475782

On 10/27/2018 at 1:01 AM, Blast Hardcheese said:

Happy 200th episodes, Paul, Jason and June! This episode is hilarious and so much fun. It ranks right up there with my personal favorite, 88 Minutes.

I'm lucky enough to be married to a woman who loves 80 action movies (Lethal Weapon, Beverly Hills Cop, Die Hard--essentially the films Action Jackson is in the center of the Venn diagram of). She had never seen, let alone heard of, Action Jackson, so this was her first time watching this endlessly entertaining film. Needless to say, she absolutely loved it. "This movie is fuckin' perfect!" she exclaimed 20 minutes in. It was so much fun watching this movie with her (I haven't seen it in over 20 years since first watching it on VHS) and we had a blast. Thank you for making this movie HDTGM's 200th.

Okay, so never having tried heroin, I have to admit that I am not exactly an expert on this illicit drug. My general knowledge of its addiction is derived primarily from seeing it portrayed in films like Trainspotting, Pulp Fiction and Requiem for a Dream. In Action Jackson, it's established that Dellaplane has hooked Vanity on heroin (or, is he fostering her already established addiction--this guy's a creep, so either way... ). Okay, but does the old-timey syringe she uses look a bit too hefty for shooting-up with? It looks like the kind of syringe an veterinarian would use on large animals. Then there's the effect the drug has on Vanity: instead of coming across as lethargic and, well, stupor-y, she's acts like a fidgety, drunken sex-pot who, once she gets back to apartment, has "the munchies." Now, I don't want to say that the filmmakers had a sub-remedial understanding of heroin addiction, but their portrayal of it is like a grab bag of lurid addiction symptoms à la Refer Madness.

Dellaplane owns a car company located in Detroit, MI, a highly competitive market which is dominated by "the big three": Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge. Dellaplane's company doesn't seem to produce any other models of cars other than the two-door sports car that looks suspicious like a Pontiac Fiero with 80's Ferrari vents glued on to the side of it, so how successful can this guy really be? Additionally, Dellaplane, a "successful" automobile magnate, is driven around town not in a luxury car manufactured by his own company, but rather in a Mercedes Benz limo instead. Also, the establishing shot of his narrow, multi-story factory (which must be super convenient for mass producing cars on an assembly line) shows a large, old brick building with several windows busted out. The guy can afford a private army of assassins (with an endless supply of butterfly knives), fund a convoluted murder scheme and lives in a very nice old school mansion, but he can't repair the windows in his company's headquarters?

It was mentioned during the podcast how the producers came up with the name Action Jackson, and an Australian crew member exclaimed, "I'm in like... " yadda, yadda, yadda. Action Jackson is actually the name of a line of action figures produced by the Mego Corporation during the 1970's. The commercials had a pretty catchy theme song: "Action Jackson is my name/Bold adventure is my game!" which , incidentally, was also sung by by Joel and the Bots on an episode of MST3K. Anyhoo... here is one of the Action Jackson television commercials:

Lastly, the actor who played the butler in Action Jackson is Nicholas Worth. He was also in another great action movie: Sam Raimi's Dark Man. He sadly passed away in 2007.

• Like 1

A friend of mine in Texas went to a Halloween party dressed as Eleanor from "The Good Place" and Jason was there.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

A friend of mine in Texas went to a Halloween party dressed as Eleanor from "The Good Place" and Jason was there.

Wait, Zouks or Manny lol! Also, WHERE IN TEXAS???

Doh! HDTGM Jason. Zouks. Derek. Rafi. Ali (my friend) lives in Austin. Not sure where the party was but I assume close?

• Like 3

On 10/31/2018 at 11:58 AM, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Doh! HDTGM Jason. Zouks. Derek. Rafi. Ali (my friend) lives in Austin. Not sure where the party was but I assume close?

This is the greatest Halloween miracle I've ever heard of. Move over Great Pumpkin! I like the idea of Jason being a chaotic Santa like figure who randomly appears at one lucky Halloween party a year and the guests are then blessed with a year of bonkers movies or something to that effect. What would Zouks bestow as a blessing? Also more importantly did he wear a costume and what was it?

16 hours ago, gigitastic said:

This is the greatest Halloween miracle I've ever heard of. Move over Great Pumpkin! I like the idea of Jason being a chaotic Santa like figure who randomly appears at one lucky Halloween party a year and the guests are then blessed with a year of bonkers movies or something to that effect. What would Zouks bestow as a blessing? Also more importantly did he wear a costume and what was it?

I saw a picture but I won't post without permission (I respect copyright). I don't think he was in costume? But he did the eyes in the photo. So if he is like Santa, I imagine him showing up on Halloween and just photobombing everyone with bug eyes. 

• Like 4

I know this is totally late but what about the first time Action and Vanity drive around she gives him a wet willy and then doesn't understand why he gets upset.