🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SlidePocket

The Bachelor (1999)

Chris O'Donnell and Renee Zellweger star about a man who tries to find a bride in 24 hours in order to inherit his grandfather's $100 million fortune. Questionable hilarity arises.

I remember my mom loving this movie when it came out, and did think it was a nice twist on the deadline marriage trope by having all of the addendums to the will to make sure it wasn't a one night Vegas marriage to get 100 million, albeit those added stipulations were kind of ridiculous in how to track and who would call bullshit on O'Donnell if he didn't keep up with them, the grandfather's lawyer or his business competitors who were looking to buy the business? Then you think of the logistics of one stipulation being that the couple can't be apart for more than one day per month? Who the fuck would think that's a healthy relationship in that by that thinking you could never work for a company that requires you to travel for business, go on a trip with your solo group of friends away from the spouse, or any number of reasons you might need or want to be a way from your spouse for more than a day, I honestly think the grandfather was trying to kill his grandson with that kind of stipulation, along with the one about having a child within the first five years of the ten year minimum marriage, because what if one spouse is sterile, does that automatically void their chance at fulfilling the will and they get nothing?

• Like 1

I remember seeing this on tv years ago and thinking it was okay as a piece of romcom fluff. It's a remake of a Buster Keaton movie called Seven Chances which is legit good.

Sign in to follow this