Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 51 The Rose

🎶Love is like a metaphor, it is a simile...🎶

(Oh, wait...fuck.)

We watched:

51WT04NA65L._SY445_.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

As someone who’s lived there, I can confirm that Jacksonville is a total shithole.

Also, did anyone else listen to Janis Joplin when they were done?

• Like 4

That was supposed to be Jacksonville? I missed that no matter how many times I watched it.😛

I didn’t listen to any Janis but I did have Piece of My Heart as an ear worm yesterday.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

That was supposed to be Jacksonville? I missed that no matter how many times I watched it.😛

I didn’t listen to any Janis but I did have Piece of My Heart as an ear worm yesterday.

They never come out and say it, but yeah.

Also, I never really felt like this movie was set in the Sixties. I mean, I got that people were calling her “hippie,” but nothing else felt Sixties-ish to me. It felt much more Seventies to me and it’s not there weren’t still hippies in the Seventies (and today)

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Also, I never really felt like this movie was set in the Sixties. I mean, I got that people were calling her “hippie,” but nothing else felt Sixties-ish to me. It felt much more Seventies to me and it’s not there weren’t still hippies in the Seventies (and today)

Agreed. A comment last night was amazement at the car phone.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

If Cinco hadn't said up top that it was set in 1969, I would have thought it was set in 1979.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

When I first saw the movie I thought it said “Bette” under the logo on the plane’s nose. It says “69 Tour”. That’s the only clue we get.

• Like 4

It seems like Rose doesn’t have a good relationship with the band. They try to take care of her but she refuses most times. The Diva-ine Miss M.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

BTW - Exactly how many times did you watch it? How are you holding up? 

• Like 2

At least four times all the way through. Good thing I was in the hospital already yesterday. They have me on suicide watch now.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Why was Mal there? He served no purpose that I could see. His applause at the end was supposedly spontaneous. He was so moved by Bette’s last song. Yet I find it suspect that a camera was pointed at him to capture it.

• Like 3

So which of Rose's male leads did you prefer, Rudge (Alan Bates) or Huston (Frederic Forrest)?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SlidePocket said:

So which of Rose's male leads did you prefer, Rudge (Alan Bates) or Huston (Frederic Forrest)?

Dennis (Barry Primus)

2 minutes ago, SlidePocket said:

This was Frederic Forrest’s only Oscar-nominated role.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cameron H. said:

As someone who’s lived there, I can confirm that Jacksonville is a total shithole.

bortles2.gif

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SlidePocket said:

None of the above. I wish we could have learned more about her lesbian affair.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Cinco DeNio said:

@grudlian and I decided this movie was about a woman who causes traffic jams using AWOL soldiers.

This is a movie about deranged mentally ill people who overreact at the drop of a hat and for some reason no one is weirded out by that

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gigitastic said:

This is a movie about deranged mentally ill people who overreact at the drop of a hat and for some reason no one is weirded out by that

ROCK AND ROLL MUTHAFKKAS

• Like 8

This movie was really interesting to me because my experience with Bette Midler music is The Rose, Wind Beneath My Wings and the like. So, hearing this style of music, it was surprising she doesn't do more of this. I know she had fans before this, but this seems like it really thrust into a larger audience. It seems strange not to do more music like this unless it was just killing her vocal cords.

Or she's doing this music and I'm totally ignorant to it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cameron H. said:

None of the above. I wish we could have learned more about her lesbian affair.

They hinted at it backstage when she propositioned the lady as Rose walked in.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

This movie was really interesting to me because my experience with Bette Midler music is The Rose, Wind Beneath My Wings and the like. So, hearing this style of music, it was surprising she doesn't do more of this. I know she had fans before this, but this seems like it really thrust into a larger audience. It seems strange not to do more music like this unless it was just killing her vocal cords.

Or she's doing this music and I'm totally ignorant to it.

It seems like every song in the movie was un-Bette-like.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

It seems like every song in the movie was un-Bette-like.

I think we talked about it and this feels a LOT like it was her version of Streisand's A Star Is Born. However she somehow is both Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson's characters all at once. She and Bab's definitely have similar afro perms. 

• Like 3