🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Listener Questions Special

Who is cooler?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which podcast duo is the most dope?

• Amy and Paul
    • Amy AND Paul

18 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

In my defense, 3-stars is still pretty good and I know for a fact there are at least three movies coming up that I’m going to rank below it.

I need to check the list to see if I can guess those.

Okay my guess are Intolerance, Raging Bull and The Searchers. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

I will quickly share this story because I believe I've talked about this in the HDTGM forums before and don't want to repeat myself.

I have seen Ghostbuster way too many times, like uncountable number of times. I had it on VHS as a kid and would watch the movie all the time. Like any chance the TV was free I would put it in and watch it. If my parents wanted to go over to a friends house they'd bring the cassette and just plunk me down in a back room and I would watch it back to back until they wanted to go home. The first memories I have of going to a movie in the theaters was to see Ghostbusters 2 because I was so obsessed with the first. This is doubly odd because I would have been 6 which raises the question of how did the movie not freak me out at that age and why would my parents take a 6 year old to see Ghostbusters 2. Anyway, I watched the tape so much that I literally wore the tape out and my parents refused to replace it citing I had "seen it enough."

I think my tastes have changed...

My son loves the New Ghostbusters - a lot. He is 6 (oddly enough), and like you, he will watch it, and then put it on again immediately. So this Halloween, I thought I’d show him the original movie and he didn’t like it. He asked that we put on *the real* Ghostbusters.

Anyway, maybe it’s because I’ve seen it too much, but the original wasn’t doing anything for me. It was kind of boring and Bill Murray just came off like a smarmy asshole. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cameron H. said:

It was kind of boring and Bill Murray just came off like a smarmy asshole. 

Yet you still like Real Genius

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

I’m afraid you’re only 1 for 3...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Yet you still like Real Genius

I mean, yeah...

Honestly, a grown-ass man (a professor) shocking an undergraduate so he can seduce another student just seems really distasteful to me -  especially in 2018. It doesn’t read as “charming rogue.” Just gross. So, like, in the first scene, you’ve already kind of lost me.

I’m not saying Val is perfect in RG, or that the movie is perfect or deserves to be on the AFI list, but he isn’t an adult in that movie. He behaves, more or less, like a shitty college kid - particularly a shitty college kid in an 80’s movie.

• Like 1

Just now, Cameron H. said:

I mean, yeah...

Honestly, a grown-ass man (a professor) shocking an undergraduate so he can seduce another student just seems really distasteful to me -  especially in 2018. It doesn’t read as “charming rogue.” Just gross. So, like, in the first scene, you’ve already kind of lost me.

I’m not saying Val is perfect in RG, or that the movie is perfect or deserves to be on the AFI list, but he isn’t an adult in that movie. He behaves, more or less, like a shitty college kid - particularly a shitty college kid in an 80’s movie.

Don't disagree! I'm just teasing

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Don't disagree! I'm just teasing

I know :) I did feel the need to explain though. 

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey

2. Citizen Kane

3. Taxi Driver

4. E.T. the Extra Terrestrial

5. Raiders of the Lost Ark

6. Psycho

7. Double Indemnity

8. Apocalypse Now

9. All About Eve

10. Singin' in the Rain

11. The Wizard of Oz

12. King Kong

13. Lord of the Rings

14. Duck Soup

15. Platoon

16. Bonnie and Clyde

17. High Noon

18. The French Connection

19. Titanic

20. The Shawshank Redemption

21. The African Queen

22. The Sixth Sense

23. The General

24. Ben-Hur

25. Swing Time

• Like 3

I really agreed with Amy's suggestion of 1999 as the best film year. That was the one that probably made me a real "movie buff." I was in college and so many interesting movies were coming out all at once, it was incredible. She didn't even mention Eyes Wide Shut!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grudlian. said:

Wonder Woman third?

I mean, I try not to taste shame people but looooool

I take it a whole lot of people haven't seen Gallapoli.  Cause that's going to bump most things.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

I’m afraid you’re only 1 for 3...

Drat! I was trying to remember which ones you were not so thrilled with when you reviewed them.

5 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

You forgot Clockwork Orange?

4 minutes ago, tomspanks said:

I was going to put that on but went with The Searchers instead!

• Like 1

I am trying not to pre-judge and forget all past opinions, but there's one on the list yet to come that I think is basically one-star trash and I hate it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I am trying not to pre-judge and forget all past opinions, but there's one on the list yet to come that I think is basically one-star trash and I hate it.

Now I'm dying to know! 

• Like 1

For the sake of the thread (besides the rankings), what were all the questions in the Q&A (besides the ones specific to Paul & Amy, e.g. how did this podcast get started)?

I just remember the main take away is the image of Paul playing a Muchkin or Flying Monkey and I could see him excelling in either role, even though I don't think I've seen The Wizard of Oz. (It or The French Connection is probably what I'll catch up on this weekend).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Is it A Clockwork Orange?

33 minutes ago, tomspanks said:

28 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

I was going to put that on but went with The Searchers instead!

23 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

11 minutes ago, tomspanks said:

I wasn't thinking of A Clockwork Orange, no. I think it's going to be pretty low on the list, but it's been a really long time since I've seen it so I couldn't honestly tell you if it's going to go above or below Titanic.

I can tell you the movies I'm thinking about if you want or i can keep it a surprise.

I will say, Intolerance was the one you got right. I prefer Stagecoach to The Searchers, but I like The Searchers more than Titanic. Like Amy, Martin Scorcese isn't really my favorite. I would be fine with just Taxi Driver on the list and nothing else. That being said, since it *is* on the list, it's probably going to be pretty low on my list, but I would have to watch it again to say whether I'd put it above or below Titanic. It really could go either way. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, tomspanks said:

Nah I'm a Kubrick fan.  I haven't seen that in so long, not sure what I'll think now, but I recall liking it ok

Since others are doing it:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★★

2. Raiders of the Lost Ark ★★★★★

3. Citizen Kane ★★★★½

4. Duck Soup ★★★★½

5. Apocalypse Now ★★★★½

6. All About Eve ★★★★½

7. Singin’ in the Rain ★★★★

8. High Noon ★★★★

9. Titanic ★★★★

10 .The French Connection ★★★★

11. The Sixth Sense ★★★★

12. The General ★★★★

13. The Wizard of Oz ★★★★

14. King Kong ★★★½

15. Taxi Driver ★★★½

16. Psycho ★★★½

17. Bonnie and Clyde ★★★½

18. Double Indemnity ★★★½

19. Platoon ★★★½

20. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial ★★★

21. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring ★★★

22. The Shawshank Redemption ★★★

23. The African Queen ★★★

24. Ben-Hur ★★★

25. Swing Time ★★½

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I can't wait to find out.  Of the ones left on the list that I've seen, there's nothing that I absolutely hate, but plenty that I think is overrated.  And there's stuff like The Gold Rush that is certainly good, but really shouldn't be on the list being that City Lights and Modern Times are there as well.

• Like 3

Okay, because I'm a math nerd, I rigged up some similarity scores between the full lists posted in this thread, as well as Paul's and Amy's.  The score is equal to the sum of the squares of the differences in rankings, so the lower the number, the more similar the list.  (This is a somewhat arbitrary metric that punishes huge differences more than a simple sum of absolute value of differences would, but Google Docs' spreadsheet had this function built in, so I just used it.)

From most similar to least similar:

• Cam Bert and Cameron H: 412
  • Cam Bert and sycasey: 530
  • sycasey and Paul: 532
  • Paul and Amy: 650
  • sycasey and Cameron H: 882
  • Cam Bert and Paul: 974
  • sycasey and Amy: 1150
  • me and Paul: 1170
  • Cam Bert and Amy: 1274
  • Cameron H and Paul: 1312
  • sycasey and me: 1342