🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

R.E.M. at the BBC

Adam Scott Aukerman are back to discuss R.E.M.’s 2018 live album box set “R.E.M. at the BBC.” They also talk about Robin Hood, Twilight Zone, and we hear another episode of “U Talkin’ U2 To Me?”.

I listened to every episode over 2018 which has been a dramatic life changing year for me personally - for one thing I am now living in Mexico.

Started 2018 in Colorado - went back to Kentucky for the  razy relationship, and ended back in Colorado living in the Mountains homeless for ahwile.

If Earwolf/Stitcher/Midroll is hiring Canadian Citizens living in Mexico - will happy to send my resune:  Marketing Professional with a Fil. Degree.

Before I begin - wanted to mention that my crazy ex-girl friend at the beginning of the year (who was a Parks & Recs fan) said to me that I would be the closest she would ever get to Adam Scott because I reminded her so much of him.  We do not look alike so maybe it is the genetic Scottish overall personality.  We don't put up with BS which might explain why we are no longer a couple.

Have been wamting to write this message since September.

Here are my REM Album rankings.

1.  Automatic For The People
2.  Fables of the Reconstruction
3.  Green
4.  Document
5.  Murmur
6.  Life's Rich Pagent
7.  Out of Time
8  Accelerate
9.  Collapse Into Now
10.  New Adventures In Hi-Fi
11.  Reveal
12.  Reckoning
13.  UP
14.  Monster
15.  Chronic Town EP
16.  Around The Sun

My Song rankings are much higher.  I know which songs are in my Top 20, but after months of racking my brain - srill do not know the order.

Want to listen to them fresh tonight and compare, and see.

I first heard REM as a kid living in Camada on the Radio or on Tv in 1987 with "One I Love" and "End of The World" as a close second.  Howevwr I did not get into them - ironically until Green came out.

I was rased in rural Canada, and my Dad bought the cheapest Dish thar had like only 3 or 4 channels - and one of them was Much Music.  Much Music got me through my Teenage years, and what was so awesome regarding their music programmers was that they played as much of the early REM as equally often as they played the new videos from Green, Out of Time, and Automatic For The People.

Huge REM fan - my favorite band as a teen, but I tuned out after Monster.  Listened to New Advemtures & UP in the store afterwards (and evem though I loved Ebow - thought they were no longer the band I once new, and stopped listening.

Very gratedul for this Podcast.  I relistened to each album as it came out, and now have newfound musical appreciation for them and recognize them for the musical chameleons as they are.  In fact, some songs Post Monster have made it into my top 20.  I still do not like Monster, but now I recognize it as a misplaced muscial experiment to the Grunge/Alt scene, and not as them.having a crazy mid-life crisis.

Will post later tonight on my Top 10-20 which has racked my brain for months because it is so diffcult to rank because they have so mant good songs 

• Like 1

Maybe my Crazy Ex Girlfriend is right, and I am Adam Scott's secret twin because I could not decide on a Top 10, but rather a Top 50 that culled from all of the albums.  It is too hard to rank so I just put them in Top 10 clumps of 5.  I tried to make it in order of my favorites from 1 to 50, but the songs shift around like sand.  Fall On Me to It's The End of the World is my definite top 6. 

**Note to any REM Producer or Staff Member (assuming they still exist).  If you put together another Greatest Hits Box set - go with this 50, but please for the love of God let Adam Scott Aukermab do the sequencing.

Fall On Me (Life's Rich Pagent)
World Leader Pretend (Green)
Maps & Legends (Fables)
Sweetness Follows (Automatic)
Find The River (Automatic)
It's The End of the World (Doc)
Everybody Hurts (Automatic)
Radio Free Europe (Murmur)
Blue (Collapse Into Now)
Ebow The Letter (New Adventures)

Swan swan h (Life's Rich Pagent)
Driver 8 (Fables)