🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 202 - Look Who's Talking Now (w/ Conan O’Brien)

41 minutes ago, tomspanks said:

Don't feel too bad, maybe he got another dog.

Now I'm kinda glad I killed him off in my fantasy.

I remember in Canada, I don't know if this was a rumor or true, homeless could claim more welfare if they had a pet and that is why so many panhandlers had them. This article I think speak more truth. 

• Like 2

Another thing, I grew up around the time this movie takes place and the first dog my parents got after my sister and I were born was a terrier poodle mix named Benji. We put him in a bandanna just like Rocks. He had a few we cycled between but for all 18 years of his life (he was a stronger pupper that one) he wore a bandanna. The strange thing is the dog my parents had before him and the next dog we got and every dog since have not worn anything and we've had no desire to cloth them in any way. Was this just a thing people were doing in the later 80s early 90s with their dogs?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

Another thing, I grew up around the time this movie takes place and the first dog my parents got after my sister and I were born was a terrier poodle mix named Benji. We put him in a bandanna just like Rocks. He had a few we cycled between but for all 18 years of his life (he was a stronger pupper that one) he wore a bandanna. The strange thing is the dog my parents had before him and the next dog we got and every dog since have not worn anything and we've had no desire to cloth them in any way. Was this just a thing people were doing in the later 80s early 90s with their dogs?

No bandanas seem to be very in in terms of doggy fashion if I'm to go by my friends social media and my grandparents old groomers. They used to give their dog Chase a snazzy bandana whenever he got his fur trimmed. Some dogs really don't like them though. I know my old dog Paige was way too hyper to stand having one on. I fully blame that on her being part Dalmatian.  Poodles might have unfriendly faces but Dalmatians are hyperactive assholes who are too smart for their own good .

• Like 2

I think it was fairly obvious the Dog voiced by Danny Devito had the same disease Robin Williams (Jack) had in the movie Jack.  He was an aged sperm by the time we heard him speaking and that also accounts for his rapid growth in a 1 month period.  That is like a Decade in Jack Dog Years.  He will be dead by next Christmas, no doubt.

On 11/24/2018 at 8:15 AM, DrGuts1003 said:

Are these Hoopster Heroes what you were recalling?

Also, while I knew the term ‘destroyed’ is used when referring to putting a dog down, is it appropriate to use it in front of a small child?

Even with these Hoopster Heroies, it seems like the only basketball players released were Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, and Patrick Ewing. No Barkley!

hoopster-heroes-larry-bird-nib-ace_1_d20

Interesting that it seems only the NBA players go their actual team logos included. Everyone else just has a jersey with a number on it.

• Like 4

On 11/25/2018 at 9:01 PM, Cameron H. said:

In the episode, the gang seemed shocked that Alley's character couldn't find a new job outside of Santa's Elf - especially because it was "tax season." Except, the movie takes place during November/ December. Tax season is between January and April. I think it's very possible, even with her family connections, accounting firms might freeze hiring during their off seasons. She might just be biding her time until the new year.

We might need to consider the possibility that she secretly likes being an elf, perhaps due to some hidden sexual fetish. We may be in Bad Santa territory here.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

Even with these Hoopster Heroies, it seems like the only basketball players released were Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, and Patrick Ewing. No Barkley!

Interesting that it seems only the NBA players go their actual team logos included. Everyone else just has a jersey with a number on it.

The very idea that I could spend all night cuddled up with  Jose Canseco, the original Bash Brother, sets my heart a-flutter.

canseco.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 8:56 AM, Raymond Luxury Superyacht said:

So Paul asks (as did DrGuts1003 earlier) why a New York kid would be into Charles Barkley.

I've been trying to puzzle out why the writers of a film featuring dogs would settle on Barkley as the player that she's obsessed with. I mean it's even talked about in the podcast that her attempt at "flying" is inspired by Barkley, when Barkley wasn't known for his prowess in jumping. It just doesn't make sense.

Barkley, Barkley, Barkley.

Wasn't he also... not the best role model? Like didn't he spit at a heckler or something? My basketball knowledge mostly comes from SPACE JAM. Michael Jordan is the kid friendly one who gets to hang out with Bugs Bunny. Barkley is the one who has to go to church and promise not to yell at the refs anymore.

22 hours ago, tomspanks said:

Did anybody else think the basketball player doll looked like Hakeen Olajuwon? 

hln3LWHm.jpg  200219-004-33C5E426.jpg

The lean body type, the long arms, and the way that doll dominated the Patrick Ewing doll at all times?

I think it could also be Ewing?

Who was in Space Jam too. So was Danny DeVito. You guys, this is a Space Jam prequel.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

Brett Hull? Really?

• Like 2

On 11/26/2018 at 6:21 AM, Cam Bert said:

Before Mikey discovers the horrible truth about mall Santas two of Kirstie Alley's co-workers are leaving for the day. As they leave she wishes them good bye by saying "Good night Prancer, good night Dancer." Two things, one they are elves not reindeer. Santa has two reindeer named Prancer and Dancer but does he also have two elves that go by the same names as the reindeer? There is no denying that Prancer and Dancer do sound like elf names but when in relation to Christmas the first thing that pops in your mind when you hear those names are the reindeer. It's just confusing. Second, does Kirstie Alley not know her co-workers actual names? True, she hasn't been working there long but do you think people at Disney say "Good Night Mickey" to the kid in the costume as they are leaving for the day? What about the surly Santa? Is going to say "Good Night Santa" to him? Just learn their names.

Not to defend this movie that much, but I know when I'm acting in a play (like I am now, Little Women, Hays, KS opens on Friday--shameless plug) even if I know all the actors names, I tend to default and call them by their character names. Maybe these elves were like really into "the method" and wanted to be called by their character names (that they probably gave themselves) at all times.

On 11/23/2018 at 8:49 AM, LTL said:

How  did they not talk about the closing credits  Jordy "It's Christmas, C'est Noel" ... maybe because in the States Jordy's "Dur Dur D'etre Bebe" wasn't a hit like it was in the rest of the world .. trust me youtube it.

Yes. It was a glaring omission to not talk about Jordy and "It's Christmas, C'est Noel." Discovered via Wikipedia that Jordy is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the youngest singer ever to have a #1 charted single. And that the French government banned Jordy's music from radio and television to protect him from exploitation by his parents.

• Like 1