🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 203.5 - Minisode 203.5

I have a whole lot of WTF feelings on this one! That hair, for serious. But the story and everything is so just beyond bonkers. I can't wait to hear what the crew has to say. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cameron H. said:

You just haven’t developed an immunity to these movies yet. I prescribe one Holiday Romance a day until Christmas. You’ll be as right as rain in no time :) 

Unless It's A Wonderful Life qualifies as holiday romance, I won't even consider it because it's the only one I can stomach.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Re: baking time on “Nailed it” I think they would have to be very efficient and professional to do the cakes in that time. I think thI show is , obviously, not mean for them to complete it but the time constraint also makes them work faster than they should. 

Re: Holiday in Handcuffs. Is anyone else having a lot of trouble getting through this movie? I don’t know if it’s second hand anxiety or just lack of caring. But like MJH’s life at th beginning didn’t seem that bad. She had a job and an apartment. Yeah she wanted that interview to work out (but interviews are not job offers) and wanted the douchey guy to spend Christmas with her family but it wasn’t like either of her siblings had dates? So I am not sure why she felt she had to? 

And like, if your hair is too curly just get it wet. Has she not seen “Legally Blonde” and/or ever curled her hair before?

Haven’t finished yet... still. 

I love you for that Legally Blonde reference! Uses-Her-Skills-Win-Case.gif

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Re: baking time on “Nailed it” I think they would have to be very efficient and professional to do the cakes in that time. I think thI show is , obviously, not mean for them to complete it but the time constraint also makes them work faster than they should.

Oh yeah Nicole blew the lid on this on her podcast cause she said the professional baker gets at least 4 hours to make the shit and then they give the contestants 90 minutes so it's definitely a set up for failure. The funniest parts to me though are the ones who don't even try to make the cake good (SAL!). Like even if the decorations are terrible and funny, at least the cake should taste good lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taylorannephoto said:

Oh yeah Nicole blew the lid on this on her podcast cause she said the professional baker gets at least 4 hours to make the shit and then they give the contestants 90 minutes so it's definitely a set up for failure. The funniest parts to me though are the ones who don't even try to make the cake good (SAL!). Like even if the decorations are terrible and funny, at least the cake should taste good lol.

My favorite contestants are the ones who don't even read the recipes. It's one thing to miss a step but it's something else to go "nah, I, think I got this. What's a professional have that I, a total amateur don't?"

• Like 3

Man, fuck this movie. Never have I wanted to hurt a character in a movie more than I did with Mellisa Joan Hart. I just wanted Mario Lopez to beat the crap out of her, and then when she started acting like a jealous brat and somehow THAT segues into their blossoming relationship?? Fuuuuck you movie, that contemptible character's cadaver should be shoveled off by the side of the road by act 3.

Also, looking at Mario Lopez, if you had told me that the movie was shot at the same time as Saved By The Bell, I would have believed it. If you told me it was shot last week, I would have believed it. Dude is a vampire.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Wien said:

Also, looking at Mario Lopez, if you had told me that the movie was shot at the same time as Saved By The Bell, I would have believed it. If you told me it was shot last week, I would have believed it. Dude is a vampire.

HIs lack of aging is really the only highlight of this movie. And I could just watch EXTRA for that.

Have you guys seen that RANKER did a list of worst movies ever and TWILIGHT was the "winner." I didn't care for the book or the film, personally, but I understood why young girls did.  (Like for me I had already read VAMPIRE DIARIES and seen BUFFY so it seemed old hat.) And I don't know why this struck me as so wrong but it doesn't seem correct. I mean I got through TWILIGHT easily compared to HOLIDAYS IN HANDCUFFS.

Thoughts?

ETA It now seems that some TwiHards have gone in and voted Gigli to the top.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Have you guys seen that RANKER did a list of worst movies ever and TWILIGHT was the "winner." I didn't care for the book or the film, personally, but I understood why young girls did.  (Like for me I had already read VAMPIRE DIARIES and seen BUFFY so it seemed old hat.) And I don't know why this struck me as so wrong but it doesn't seem correct. I mean I got through TWILIGHT easily compared to HOLIDAYS IN HANDCUFFS.

Thoughts?

I don't mind the Twilight movies - although it took me a while to come around on them. They're fun to tease and they obviously mean a lot to many. I have to admit, the last time I binged them (in August), they really worked for me - unironically. They fulfill a niche and she (Stephanie Meyers) obviously caught lightning in a bottle when she wrote them. No judgements from me 😋

That being said, I had a lot of fun watching Holiday in Handcuffs, too. It might just be that I like bad movies - lol

• Like 2

On 12/17/2018 at 3:34 PM, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Re: Holiday in Handcuffs. Is anyone else having a lot of trouble getting through this movie? I don’t know if it’s second hand anxiety or just lack of caring. But like MJH’s life at th beginning didn’t seem that bad. She had a job and an apartment. Yeah she wanted that interview to work out (but interviews are not job offers) and wanted the douchey guy to spend Christmas with her family but it wasn’t like either of her siblings had dates? So I am not sure why she felt she had to? 

And like, if your hair is too curly just get it wet. Has she not seen “Legally Blonde” and/or ever curled her hair before?

Haven’t finished yet... still. 

It was said her brother had a girlfriend and they treat her sister like she's totally perfect, so I think MJH wanted someone to sort of deflect her parents judgement. Seriously though, the way this family treats her, I wonder why she even wants to spend time with these terrible terrible people. Twice so far her mom has accused her of trying to ruin Christmas.

Also, are we not going to talk about the pervy gas station attendant who has sex cuffs for sale(?) at hi gas station in the middle of nowhere?

9 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Thoughts?

On the topic of the Twilight movies the director of the first one really got fucked over apparently. I encourage everyone to read this article by The Daily Beast https://www.thedailybeast.com/catherine-hardwicke-broke-records-with-twilight-then-hollywood-labeled-her-difficult 

Basically Catherine Hardwicke worked her ass off trying to make this source material not suck . For example she fought with the author to have diversity in the cast

" But Meyer, who was raised Mormon in Phoenix, Arizona, “had not really written it that way,” Hardwicke says. “So she probably just didn’t see the world that way. And I was like oh my God, I want the vampires, I want them all—Alice, I wanted her to be Japanese! I had all these ideas. And she just could not accept the Cullens to be more diverse, because she had really seen them in her mind, she knew who each character was representing in a way, a personal friend or a relative or something.” She says Meyer pointed to her books’ description of the vampires: “She said, I wrote that they had this pale glistening skin!” 

"

In the end she convinced her to let one of the evil vampires be a black actor they were looking at. 

Then there's the fact she was the first woman to ever direct a movie this big. Apparently when movies do well directors often get gifts. Catherine's gift? A fucking mini cupcake.

" When I went in I saw that there were massive bouquets and balloons and bottles of wine, and crazy gifts sent to them by all the distributors around the world or whoever, all their friends,” she recalls. “So I actually had it in my mind, wow, this is a pretty unprecedented success. I had heard these rumors that when a director does something like this they give them a car, they give them a two-picture deal or something like that. They give them an office and ask them what they want to do after this.” Hardwicke pauses. “And then I got a mini cupcake that day. I was like oh, OK, cool—coming in here, I’m sort of working for free, doing this online stuff, and that was what I was offered: a mini cupcake.”

This women's other film Thirteen was nominated for a fucking Oscar not to mention the crazy money she just got you! And she gets a mini cupcake?!? 

Even worse she was taken off the sequel New Moon and then basically labeled the deadly "difficult".  

I may not like Twilight but I feel terrible for how Catherine Hardwicke was treated. She deserved so much better.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sharky86 said:

It was said her brother had a girlfriend and they treat her sister like she's totally perfect, so I think MJH wanted someone to sort of deflect her parents judgement. Seriously though, the way this family treats her, I wonder why she even wants to spend time with these terrible terrible people. Twice so far her mom has accused her of trying to ruin Christmas.

Also, are we not going to talk about the pervy gas station attendant who has sex cuffs for sale(?) at hi gas station in the middle of nowhere?

Her mother was AWFUL. Both parents were.  Honestly I was team Grandma trying to flee as soon as she could.

we need to get into pervy gas man!

16 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Thoughts?

I have some issues with this list. Some of the voters are clearly just MST3K fans. While I love that show, I don't think the movies they pick generally fit the kind of HDTGM vibe (Mac and Me excepted). They lack the kind of sincerity and heart that makes a movie not just bad, but tragic. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

I have some issues with this list. Some of the voters are clearly just MST3K fans. While I love that show, I don't think the movies they pick generally fit the kind of HDTGM vibe (Mac and Me excepted). They lack the kind of sincerity and heart that makes a movie not just bad, but tragic. 

Is it weird that I’m feeling very protective of these movies? I think I’m getting to the point where I don’t like calling movies “bad.” I feel like people are being mean.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gigi-tastic said:

On the topic of the Twilight movies the director of the first one really got fucked over apparently. I encourage everyone to read this article by The Daily Beast https://www.thedailybeast.com/catherine-hardwicke-broke-records-with-twilight-then-hollywood-labeled-her-difficult 

Basically Catherine Hardwicke worked her ass off trying to make this source material not suck . For example she fought with the author to have diversity in the cast

" But Meyer, who was raised Mormon in Phoenix, Arizona, “had not really written it that way,” Hardwicke says. “So she probably just didn’t see the world that way. And I was like oh my God, I want the vampires, I want them all—Alice, I wanted her to be Japanese! I had all these ideas. And she just could not accept the Cullens to be more diverse, because she had really seen them in her mind, she knew who each character was representing in a way, a personal friend or a relative or something.” She says Meyer pointed to her books’ description of the vampires: “She said, I wrote that they had this pale glistening skin!” 

"

In the end she convinced her to let one of the evil vampires be a black actor they were looking at. 

Then there's the fact she was the first woman to ever direct a movie this big. Apparently when movies do well directors often get gifts. Catherine's gift? A fucking mini cupcake.

" When I went in I saw that there were massive bouquets and balloons and bottles of wine, and crazy gifts sent to them by all the distributors around the world or whoever, all their friends,” she recalls. “So I actually had it in my mind, wow, this is a pretty unprecedented success. I had heard these rumors that when a director does something like this they give them a car, they give them a two-picture deal or something like that. They give them an office and ask them what they want to do after this.” Hardwicke pauses. “And then I got a mini cupcake that day. I was like oh, OK, cool—coming in here, I’m sort of working for free, doing this online stuff, and that was what I was offered: a mini cupcake.”

This women's other film Thirteen was nominated for a fucking Oscar not to mention the crazy money she just got you! And she gets a mini cupcake?!? 

Even worse she was taken off the sequel New Moon and then basically labeled the deadly "difficult".  

I may not like Twilight but I feel terrible for how Catherine Hardwicke was treated. She deserved so much better.

That's interesting, I've thought that Hardwicke has had one of the most disappointing career trajectories. Thirteen was so good,Lords of Dogtown was pretty good, The Nativity Story wasn't bad, then Twilight, Red Riding Hood and Plush were probably future HDTGM material

1 hour ago, EvRobert said:

That's interesting, I've thought that Hardwicke has had one of the most disappointing career trajectories. Thirteen was so good,Lords of Dogtown was pretty good, The Nativity Story wasn't bad, then Twilight, Red Riding Hood and Plush were probably future HDTGM material

I agree. She made a comment about not getting to do a lot of projects she wanted in the article but seeing what she did do I don't know how much of that was what she could get and/or her taste level? I've only seen Thirteen and Twilight so I'm not really sure how to judge her work. I will admit Twilight is very .... Pretty? Like I know nothing about directing but it seemed well shot? I don't know how much of that I'm attributing to the northwest or wherever they shot being my ideal weather all nice and fall like. Not a sunburn to be seen or a heatwave to worry  about. Just perfect book reading weather and a delightful forest from what I vaguely remember.  I mostly remember a nice temperate forest and some teen angst . But mostly the forest. 

1 hour ago, Cameron H. said:

Is it weird that I’m feeling very protective of these movies? I think I’m getting to the point where I don’t like calling movies “bad.” I feel like people are being mean.

What about calling them "unsuccessful" instead of "bad"? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gigi-tastic said:

"

She was on Maltin On Movies a couple of months ago and it really opened my eyes to what Twilight could've been, and how much she actually saved it from worse. She mentions that after Thirteen had all of this indie cred people were just handing her scripts and they were all TERRIBLE including this script written based off Twilight, however there were things within it that interested her and so she did her own research and read the book and found that this script had wildly differed from the source so much that it was barely the same story anymore. For example - she said that at the very end of the movie Bella ends up in Florida on a Skeedoo racing away from the FBI. It was only because Hardwicke actually cared about the story rather than Hollywood blockbuster shit that we even got something as good as this is, and then she went on to say how much more she wanted to do but the studio had such little faith in her and in this movie that they continuously TOOK MONEY AWAY from her budget so she had to cut a lot of stuff out that she wanted in.

Also, she did talk about being labeled difficult and she said she knows exactly why it happened, and it was because she had this scene she really cared about getting correct (I think it was the baseball scene?) and there was something she was trying to get done but the studio people were being such dicks about it and no one was listening to her that she just broke down for about 30 seconds behind a tree and cried for like literally a tiny bit and then composed herself and went back to work. After that she knew the studio looked down on her even more and suddenly she became a difficult emotional woman.

• Like 5

I forgot to mention that for some unknown reason my landlords have what can only be described as a Holiday Poodle up in their insane holiday display. It's facing my balcony so it's not a part of the main insanity which includes a peacock and a family of cartoon Christmas pigs. It does sit next to a deer and another peacock though. Because heaven forbid we only have ONE light up peacock!!!! 

Wa30H54-TguwIVs21WGNeA?viewBox=783,1044&

004laZqsSJqw9v3ZEPsz1g?viewBox=800,600&o

I don't even know where you would get a Holiday Poodle. 

19 minutes ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

What about calling them "unsuccessful" instead of "bad"? 

Maybe...It’s just a lot of these movie *do* entertain me - just maybe not in the way the filmmakers intended. Like, I’ll watch Batman & Robin anytime and have a great time. So, in a way, it is successful. 

Kind of what you were saying earlier, I guess the only movies I would consider “bad” are movies like Hard Ticket to Hawaii. Movies that were never meant to be good, just exploitive. I mean, of course there are movies that are more to my taste than others, but I don’t know that I like the idea of ranking movies as being “bad.” I feel there’s a fine line between teasing in a playful manner and bullying, and I try (although I don’t always succeed) to stay on the more positive side as much as possible. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

She was on Maltin On Movies a couple of months ago and it really opened my eyes to what Twilight could've been, and how much she actually saved it from worse. She mentions that after Thirteen had all of this indie cred people were just handing her scripts and they were all TERRIBLE including this script written based off Twilight, however there were things within it that interested her and so she did her own research and read the book and found that this script had wildly differed from the source so much that it was barely the same story anymore. For example - she said that at the very end of the movie Bella ends up in Florida on a Skeedoo racing away from the FBI. It was only because Hardwicke actually cared about the story rather than Hollywood blockbuster shit that we even got something as good as this is, and then she went on to say how much more she wanted to do but the studio had such little faith in her and in this movie that they continuously TOOK MONEY AWAY from her budget so she had to cut a lot of stuff out that she wanted in.

Also, she did talk about being labeled difficult and she said she knows exactly why it happened, and it was because she had this scene she really cared about getting correct (I think it was the baseball scene?) and there was something she was trying to get done but the studio people were being such dicks about it and no one was listening to her that she just broke down for about 30 seconds behind a tree and cried for like literally a tiny bit and then composed herself and went back to work. After that she knew the studio looked down on her even more and suddenly she became a difficult emotional woman.

Yet we have fuckers  like David O Russell throwing tantrums on set and attacking actors and crew members. But sure crying in private makes you difficult!

• Like 3

I really like Lords of Dogtown. It's an interesting companion to thirteen, looking at boys in SoCa and less focused on girls. I thought it was interesting to see a female director handling a distinct male coming of age story. the Nativity Story is also very pretty to look at, and is well filmed, but is one of those Christmas and Christian movies that people just don't talk about. I think it ultimately came down to being pretty vanilla. I haven't seen it since it came out in theaters

• Like 1

in other things, based on this thread, I started the Holiday eps of Nailed it. The first ep, when Lauren Lapkus and Nicole were eating that giant rice krispie treat. I related to that. I love Rice Krispie treats

Paul, I have a bone to pick with you. I'm behind on my podcasts and so I just listened to this today, and I have had a HDTGM fantasy movie league going THIS WHOLE TIME! Since the last league got deleted I started one to keep it going and now all of a sudden I get zero recognition for keeping that shit alive!? How dare you, sir! Also I wish this had been mentioned in this episode description and I would've joined your league when this season started and I wouldn't be starting on a damn handicap because now it'll never count my first two weeks of this season since I wasn't in the league!

• Like 1