🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cinco DeNio

Musical Mondays Week 54 Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella

1 hour ago, gigi-tastic said:

I mean, they only met the one time for a minute or two. How many people, regardless of how attractive they are, would you be able to meet once for a couple of minutes and then immediately recognize them on sight a few days later

Depends if in those 2 minutes you know you're going straight to the bone zone or not

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Thanks @taylorannephoto.  I wanted to ask about Ever After.  I haven't seen it but will check it out!

It's really good! Only came out a year after this musical. There seemed to be a feminist renaissance of Cinderella and fairy tales. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Depends if in those 2 minutes you know you're going straight to the bone zone or not

Hi Zukes!  Welcome to the forum!

• Like 3

So I love this movie and I'm glad I get the chance to talk about it. I just got back from vacation (or should I say holiday). First I'm a lover of all things R&H and this is a great adaptation of their musical. My only real compliant about the musical itself isn't necessarily about THIS version but that there doesn't seem to be a definitive version. Since R&H wrote the LAW version for TV initially, they (and others) have felt the need to tweak this with more, different songs, whether that's on stage or filmed.

I remember in 97, I was not a Brandy fan but I was a fan of Jason Alexander and Victor Garber and Bernadette (I'm a theater nerd, what can I say) and this is probably her best performance as actor, but with the supporting cast they surrounded her with, that's not surprising. 

This isn't Whitney's best performance but it's her last great performance I think (when did the Preacher's Wife come out?) 

This was also the start of a brief Renaissance of ABC Wonderful World of Disney musicals that included Bye Bye Birdie (with Jason Alexander), The Music Man (with Matthew Broderick and Kristen Chenoweth), South Pacific (with Glen Close and Harry Connick Jr), and Once Upon A Mattress (with Carol Burnett). These vary in quality and adherence to the original sources with Mattress in particular taking quite a bit of liberties, despite having probably the second best cast. I'm kind of surprised with this surge that NBC and Fox has been doing with the live musicals that Disney/ABC hasn't tried bringing this back. 

And speaking of Mattress, it wasn't until that musical that I realized that "Cinderella" isn't her name. She is "Ella of the Cinders" meaning she comes from, sleeps, etc in the cinders. 

Finally the tree is Ella/Cindy's mom and gives her the dress is something that Sondheim uses in Into The Woods. He also uses the multiple balls (IIRC) and the tar on the steps.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, EvRobert said:

So I love this movie and I'm glad I get the chance to talk about it. I just got back from vacation (or should I say holiday). First I'm a lover of all things R&H and this is a great adaptation of their musical. My only real compliant about the musical itself isn't necessarily about THIS version but that there doesn't seem to be a definitive version. Since R&H wrote the LAW version for TV initially, they (and others) have felt the need to tweak this with more, different songs, whether that's on stage or filmed.

I remember in 97, I was not a Brandy fan but I was a fan of Jason Alexander and Victor Garber and Bernadette (I'm a theater nerd, what can I say) and this is probably her best performance as actor, but with the supporting cast they surrounded her with, that's not surprising. 

This isn't Whitney's best performance but it's her last great performance I think (when did the Preacher's Wife come out?) 

This was also the start of a brief Renaissance of ABC Wonderful World of Disney musicals that included Bye Bye Birdie (with Jason Alexander), The Music Man (with Matthew Broderick and Kristen Chenoweth), South Pacific (with Glen Close and Harry Connick Jr), and Once Upon A Mattress (with Carol Burnett). These vary in quality and adherence to the original sources with Mattress in particular taking quite a bit of liberties, despite having probably the second best cast. I'm kind of surprised with this surge that NBC and Fox has been doing with the live musicals that Disney/ABC hasn't tried bringing this back. 

And speaking of Mattress, it wasn't until that musical that I realized that "Cinderella" isn't her name. She is "Ella of the Cinders" meaning she comes from, sleeps, etc in the cinders. 

Finally the tree is Ella/Cindy's mom and gives her the dress is something that Sondheim uses in Into The Woods. He also uses the multiple balls (IIRC) and the tar on the steps.

one thing in actually glad about in this version is that they give the stepmother a song because it's BERNADETTE PETERS FOR CHRIST SAKE! She HAS to sing! I just wish it wasn't the song they chose which is from a completely different musical. I feel like it doesn't fit into this one as well. I wish I'd they were picking new material they had gotten a different song? It's ok but it could have been better. 

• Like 3