🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
AlmostAGhost

Theme Month: Jan. 2019 - Westerns

No overbearing rules or commitments here, just an opportunity for us to dive into a genre/theme/idea over the course of the month. We don't have to watch the same films, or any set amount.  This isn't in place of HDTGM, Unspooled, HDTGM Classics, or Musical Mondays.  Just if, in your spare movie-watching time, you're stumped or looking for something to choose -- pick a film within our monthly theme.  If you find anything worth noting or sharing with the rest of us, post it here in this thread.  Knowing this forum, we like the stuff that's really good or either really bad, haha.  Let's explore!

reverse-cowboy-gif-5.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trip Maverick said:

Havent seen Unforgiven or Dances with Wolves in a while.

Unforgiven is the Unspooled movie next week btw!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grudlian. said:

I'm still finishing Red Dead Redemption 2. Does that count?

Very much so, god can the Houser brothers write amazing epics.

As for my western recommendations, here are just a few off the top of my head that are fantastic:

Bone Tomahawk

The Proposition

I also consider Hell or High Water as a modern western.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2019 at 11:54 PM, RyanSz said:

Very much so, god can the Houser brothers write amazing epics.

As for my western recommendations, here are just a few off the top of my head that are fantastic:

Bone Tomahawk

The Proposition

I also consider Hell or High Water as a modern western.

That is an excellent trio of modern Westerns. Hell or High Water has stayed with me in a really profound way. One of my favorites of the last few years of any genre.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Quasar Sniffer said:

That is an excellent trio of modern Westerns. Hell or High Water has stayed with me in a really profound way. One of my favorites of the last few years of any genre.

I'm still pissed Jeff Bridges got the Oscar nomination over Ben Foster, who absolutely stole that movie with his performance.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 7:20 PM, RyanSz said:

I'm still pissed Jeff Bridges got the Oscar nomination over Ben Foster, who absolutely stole that movie with his performance.

Completely agree, and I'm just as angry this year that he'll be looked over again because his performance in Leave No Trace is fucking STELLAR!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

Completely agree, and I'm just as angry this year that he'll be looked over again because his performance in Leave No Trace is fucking STELLAR!

He was great in Leave No Trace but that's going to suffer from no one having seen it. So, I at least kind of get why he won't be nominated.

For Hell Or High Water, there's no excuse because we know they saw the movie. I assume he was in that weird situation where he's kind of bigger than supporting but not the lead and they just split his voting or something.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 2:05 PM, sycasey 2.0 said:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

This is maybe the only western I'll ever really need! 

• Like 1

Does anyone have some favorite Spaghetti Westerns I should dive into for this?

On 1/6/2019 at 7:17 PM, WatchOutForSnakes said:

This is maybe the only western I'll ever really need! 

Agreed ;) 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 2:05 PM, AlmostAGhost said:

Does anyone have some favorite Spaghetti Westerns I should dive into for this?

Go with Clint's three with Sergio Leone. They are about the best of the bunch. The original Django movies are pretty good too

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EvRobert said:

Go with Clint's three with Sergio Leone. They are about the best of the bunch. The original Django movies are pretty good too

I'll also add in Once Upon A Time In The West and The Great Silence.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, EvRobert said:

I just watched A Fistful of Dollars last week. I was really struck by the violence, particularly what the Baxters do at the end. So far, this is the first time I've liked Clint Eastwood in anything. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

I just watched A Fistful of Dollars last week. I was really struck by the violence, particularly what the Baxters do at the end. So far, this is the first time I've liked Clint Eastwood in anything. 

You should also watch Yojimbo some time. A Fistful Of Dollars is a remake of it.

• Like 3

On 1/14/2019 at 5:57 PM, grudlian. said:

You should also watch Yojimbo some time. A Fistful Of Dollars is a remake of it.

There's also Sukiyaki Western Django which pulls inspiration from Yojimbo and the Man With No Name trilogy, while mixing in some decent comedy.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2019 at 8:57 PM, grudlian. said:

I think I saw something about Yojimbo as inspiration. I will definitely check it out. 

6 hours ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

I think I saw something about Yojimbo as inspiration. I will definitely check it out. 

It was an unofficial remake of Yojimbo which led to the studio, Toho, suing the makers of this film, eventually getting 100k and an 15% of the worldwide receipts of the film, which ended up being a nice check given to Kurosawa. The movie was officially remade as the Bruce Willis so-bad-it's-good film, Last Man Standing in 1996, which in itself is a decent mob/western.

• Like 1

I've been thinking of Kurosawa bingeing for awhile.  Should he be our February theme?  Are his movies streamable anywhere?

So far this month I've done 4 John Wayne movies, one spaghetti western, and one random old one.  I'm gonna shift to some more spaghetti ones for the rest of January.

1 hour ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I've been thinking of Kurosawa bingeing for awhile.  Should he be our February theme?  Are his movies streamable anywhere?

So far this month I've done 4 John Wayne movies, one spaghetti western, and one random old one.  I'm gonna shift to some more spaghetti ones for the rest of January.

Criterion puts out almost all of his movies in the US and I don't think they have a streaming platform any more after Film Struck went down. 

• Sad 1

Did a quick search. A few can be rented from Amazon. Seven Samurai, Ikiru, High And Low, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, and The Hidden Fortress are on there.