Jump to content

Recommended Posts

And here are Barack Obama’s fav movies of 2018:

Annihilation
Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
Blindspotting
Burning
The Death of Stalin
Eighth Grade
If Beale Street Could Talk
Leave No Trace
Minding the Gap
The Rider
Roma
Shoplifters
Support the Girls
Won’t You Be My Neighbor

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

In case anyone is interested in seeing animated shorts that will get nominated for Oscars, here's a site compiling everything on the short list and where it can be streamed. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

1    If Beale Street Could Talk
2    Black Panther
3    Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
4    Avengers: Infinity War
5    Mission: Impossible -- Fallout
6    Crazy Rich Asians
7    To All the Boys I've Loved Before
8    Annihilation
9    Widows
10    Tully
11    Mandy
12    Ant-Man and the Wasp
13    The Meg
14    Game Night
15    A Star is Born
16    Bumblebee
17    Blockers
18    Ocean's Eight
19    Deadpool 2
20    Hearts Beat Loud
21    Solo
22    Incredibles 2
23    Hereditary
 

Share this post


Link to post

Having now seen If Beale Street Could Talk, please know it's definitely in my top 10.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

Blindspotting and Sorry To Bother You were probably a pair of the best movies I've seen in years. 

I saw Sorry to Bother You in the last week of the year and it blew my god damn mind. I was so not expecting it to go in the way that it did and I legit think Boots might be a fucking genius.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

I saw Sorry to Bother You in the last week of the year and it blew my god damn mind. I was so not expecting it to go in the way that it did and I legit think Boots might be a fucking genius.

I really enjoyed it and it's premise, but it did kinda lose me near the end with Armie Hammer's plan for the work force. Plus I saw it a week or so after re-listening to The Last Dragon episode of the show so Tessa Thompson's art display featuring a monologue from the movie was just oddball enough to work, especially with some of the art exhibits I've seen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, RyanSz said:

I really enjoyed it and it's premise, but it did kinda lose me near the end with Armie Hammer's plan for the work force. Plus I saw it a week or so after re-listening to The Last Dragon episode of the show so Tessa Thompson's art display featuring a monologue from the movie was just oddball enough to work, especially with some of the art exhibits I've seen.

I honestly think it was a statement on the way black people were referred to when they were slaves. We talked a lot about it in my photo history class when I was in college because even photographers used their craft for racism in those days to "prove" that black people were animals built for work. The minute all that shit went down I was like what the fuuuuck and then suddenly it hit me and I was like fuck this is actually brilliant.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I got was it was but I felt it was more on the nose than the other allusions made like the white voice leading to acceptance and prosperity and that work is a prison and vice versa with the lifetime contracts working for Hammer.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, the Golden Globes have spoken. Best movies are Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody, shut it down.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

Well, the Golden Globes have spoken. Best movies are Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody, shut it down.

lol fuck those decisions

Green Book is this year's The Help or Driving Miss Daisy. It's watchable and the performances are great (duh it's Mahershala Ali and Viggo Mortenson).

Bohemian Rhapsody is not good. Other than the Live Aid section, it's garbage. Rami Malek was bad. People calling it a cookie cutter music biopic are giving it a bit too much credit in my mind.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, grudlian. said:

lol fuck those decisions

Green Book is this year's The Help or Driving Miss Daisy. It's watchable and the performances are great (duh it's Mahershala Ali and Viggo Mortenson).

Bohemian Rhapsody is not good. Other than the Live Aid section, it's garbage. Rami Malek was bad. People calling it a cookie cutter music biopic are giving it a bit too much credit in my mind.

I was actually shocked by those wins. That Mahershala Ali won for Best Supporting Actor is really all I feel I need to know about that one. 

The one thing they got really right last night, was awarding Super-Man. That was an amazing movie. 

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

I was actually shocked by those wins. That Mahershala Ali won for Best Supporting Actor is really all I feel I need to know about that one. 

The one thing they got really right last night, was awarding Super-Man. That was an amazing movie. 

I'm technically fine with it because knocking a lead actor to supporting just to get them nominated with hope of a win is common. It happened with Viola Davis with Fences. Granted, I think it speaks to some institutionalized racism that Ali (and Davis) might have been pushed down from lead to supporting which ties in specifically to Green Book in particular. And he was really good in the movie. So, his name deserves to be in the conversation when if the movie is really mediocre.

I read today that the real life family for Green Book did not like the movie. They thought the relationship between the guys was professional (friendly but professional). So, it only makes me double down on how undeserving it was to win.

Share this post


Link to post

I refused to see Bohemian Rhapsody the minute my cousin told me they erased his bisexuality, and then I found out that Bryan Singer is still credited as the movie's director and that him being fired literally had nothing to do with the fact that everyone in Hollywood knows he's a sexual predator then I was hardcore out.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, RyanSz said:

I got was it was but I felt it was more on the nose than the other allusions made like the white voice leading to acceptance and prosperity and that work is a prison and vice versa with the lifetime contracts working for Hammer.

Eh, I disagree with you that all those things you mentioned weren't also on the nose. That's what I loved about his concept, he took all of these things and took them to the extreme.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

I refused to see Bohemian Rhapsody the minute my cousin told me they erased his bisexuality, and then I found out that Bryan Singer is still credited as the movie's director and that him being fired literally had nothing to do with the fact that everyone in Hollywood knows he's a sexual predator then I was hardcore out.

I wasn't aware Singer was the director until I was already in the theater and his name came on screen. It was one of those moments where I debated leaving but...ehhhh... I'm already here and I didn't pay.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

I refused to see Bohemian Rhapsody the minute my cousin told me they erased his bisexuality, and then I found out that Bryan Singer is still credited as the movie's director and that him being fired literally had nothing to do with the fact that everyone in Hollywood knows he's a sexual predator then I was hardcore out.

They didn't erase his bisexuality as his relationship with Mary Allen is given a good focus and his relationships with men were gone into at times, even showing him in various leather and sex clubs, but with it PG-13 much wasn't shown on either end of the spectrum. It was cookie cutter in that every big song was done after a fight with the band, literally aping what Walk Hard made fun of, and the numerous timeline inaccuracies were pretty bad, although the Live Aid scene was a near shot-for-shot recreation of the actual event. I do find it odd that this won Best Drama while Green Book won for Comedy/Musical which clearly they should be swapped.

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, RyanSz said:

They didn't erase his bisexuality as his relationship with Mary Allen is given a good focus and his relationships with men were gone into at times, even showing him in various leather and sex clubs, but with it PG-13 much wasn't shown on either end of the spectrum. It was cookie cutter in that every big song was done after a fight with the band, literally aping what Walk Hard made fun of, and the numerous timeline inaccuracies were pretty bad, although the Live Aid scene was a near shot-for-shot recreation of the actual event. I do find it odd that this won Best Drama while Green Book won for Comedy/Musical which clearly they should be swapped.

My cousin told me they literally have lines where he says, "I'm bisexual," to which he is met with, "No you're not, you're gay," to which he then says, "Oh okay."

That's bierasure.

Gay men have in fact married women before so literally their entire thing is saying he was never actually attracted to Mary Allen, he just married her because he was supposed to and then he realized he was gay. I mean that's literally what I've been hearing people say about him after seeing this movie. There have even been articles written about how long they focus on his marriage to Mary Allen that they are trying to "straightwash" him. It's fucking ridiculous. So no offense but don't try and tell a bisexual person that they aren't erasing his bisexuality. Even with a PG-13 rating you don't have to tell a man that says he is bisexual that he actually isn't.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, grudlian. said:

Bohemian Rhapsody is not good. Other than the Live Aid section, it's garbage. Rami Malek was bad. People calling it a cookie cutter music biopic are giving it a bit too much credit in my mind.

I didn't think Malek was bad, but otherwise yeah pretty much. I think that (very good) Live Aid bit coming right at the end leaves people thinking they actually saw a great movie. No, you just saw a great final scene.

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, grudlian. said:

I'm technically fine with it because knocking a lead actor to supporting just to get them nominated with hope of a win is common. It happened with Viola Davis with Fences. Granted, I think it speaks to some institutionalized racism that Ali (and Davis) might have been pushed down from lead to supporting which ties in specifically to Green Book in particular. And he was really good in the movie. So, his name deserves to be in the conversation when if the movie is really mediocre.

It does bother me, in that moving actual Lead performances to Supporting categories means that spots are taken away from actors doing great work in less-visible roles, and those are often actors who can't command top money or get their pick of scripts -- i.e. exactly the kinds of actors the Supporting categories were created to honor in the first place. It's especially egregious when there's a big star like Emma Stone appearing in nearly every scene of The Favourite and somehow being categorized as "Supporting Actress." Nonsense.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

It does bother me, in that moving actual Lead performances to Supporting categories means that spots are taken away from actors doing great work in less-visible roles, and those are often actors who can't command top money or get their pick of scripts -- i.e. exactly the kinds of actors the Supporting categories were created to honor in the first place. It's especially egregious when there's a big star like Emma Stone appearing in nearly every scene of The Favourite and somehow being categorized as "Supporting Actress." Nonsense.

Yes, it's definitely stupid in this case. I'd probably argue Rachel Weisz is the lead character but that's certainly up for debate being that she's the titular character.

At least with Green Book, I'd argue Viggo is the lead of the two. I agree that they are probably co-leads.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

My cousin told me they literally have lines where he says, "I'm bisexual," to which he is met with, "No you're not, you're gay," to which he then says, "Oh okay."

That's bierasure.

Gay men have in fact married women before so literally their entire thing is saying he was never actually attracted to Mary Allen, he just married her because he was supposed to and then he realized he was gay. I mean that's literally what I've been hearing people say about him after seeing this movie. There have even been articles written about how long they focus on his marriage to Mary Allen that they are trying to "straightwash" him. It's fucking ridiculous. So no offense but don't try and tell a bisexual person that they aren't erasing his bisexuality. Even with a PG-13 rating you don't have to tell a man that says he is bisexual that he actually isn't.

I wasn't saying that your cousin was wrong, but what my perception was of the film,  apologies if it came off that way, I just didn't see that as a bisexual person.  To be honest  I forgot about saying bisexual to Mary Allen, though looking back that was par for the course of that film with how everything is kind of glossed over in that film. And with earlier reports of how Sacha Baron Cohen left the film because the band wanted really no focus on anything outside of the band and the making of their music, I was surprised by what was in the movie.

In regards to lead and supporting categories, is there guidelines written somewhere to delineate between the two or is it like it seems and is completely based on the situation. Amadeus is  one that comes to mind where F. Murray Abraham was also included in the lead actor category and beat Tom Hulce when he really was the supporting actor of that film.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, RyanSz said:

I wasn't saying that your cousin was wrong, but what my perception was of the film,  apologies if it came off that way, I just didn't see that as a bisexual person.  To be honest  I forgot about saying bisexual to Mary Allen, though looking back that was par for the course of that film with how everything is kind of glossed over in that film. And with earlier reports of how Sacha Baron Cohen left the film because the band wanted really no focus on anything outside of the band and the making of their music, I was surprised by what was in the movie.

I only mention my cousin because I admittedly have not seen the film, but I trust those around me that are also LGBTQ+ that took issues with this.

Bi-erasure is very real and happens so much in such micro-agressive ways that completely change the way I look at things. Like for example, the way Orange is the New Black completely refuses to even utter that term (in one episode Piper's mom asks her if she's "a lesbian" now and Piper responds "why do I have to use a term?") On one hand that is a valid question that she asked but on the other HEY FUCKERS BISEXUALITY FUCKING EXISTS AND THAT IS WHAT SHE IS.

It's very disappointing when you actually get very excited to see your own bicon portrayed in film and then you find out his entire self identification gets pushed out the window. (This also leads me to not getting my hopes up for Elton's biopic coming out cause he also said he was bisexual but I highly doubt they'll include that anywhere.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

I only mention my cousin because I admittedly have not seen the film, but I trust those around me that are also LGBTQ+ that took issues with this.

Bi-erasure is very real and happens so much in such micro-agressive ways that completely change the way I look at things. Like for example, the way Orange is the New Black completely refuses to even utter that term (in one episode Piper's mom asks her if she's "a lesbian" now and Piper responds "why do I have to use a term?") On one hand that is a valid question that she asked but on the other HEY FUCKERS BISEXUALITY FUCKING EXISTS AND THAT IS WHAT SHE IS.

It's very disappointing when you actually get very excited to see your own bicon portrayed in film and then you find out his entire self identification gets pushed out the window. (This also leads me to not getting my hopes up for Elton's biopic coming out cause he also said he was bisexual but I highly doubt they'll include that anywhere.)

I'll be surprised if the Elton John one isn't just a 2hr fever dream from what's been shown in the trailer.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×