Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Trip Maverick

Jacobs Ladder Remake

Recommended Posts

I remember hearing about this earlier last year and it kinda makes sense from a logistical standpoint as the original had mediocre reviews and box office, only becoming a cult hit after being the inspiration for a bunch of other things in the horror genre. So to remake a film that had a genre impact, but wasn't a huge hit works for the horror fan in me than something like the countless remakes of big hits or recent hits that studios have been churning out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Havent seen the movie in years but one of the few movies to ever scare ths shit out of me.

Im usually against remakes but I can see why they doing this.

Share this post


Link to post

It depends on the movie for the remake for me. Many of the horror remakes for the big series like Friday the 13th, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, or The Hills Have Eyes have been enjoyable for me as they show reverence to the source films while also adding to the lore, but then you have those blatant crash grabs at lesser known films like My Bloody Valentine, When a Stranger Calls, Black Xmas, and others that either just replaced what made the original good  with a gimmick like 3d or just over the top gore for the sake of it, though in a case like Black Xmas, it did try to add onto the the lore of the original to make it a meatier film. Then you have a case where they want to rush to a remake like when they were talking about doing an American Psycho remake less than a decade after the original, or remakes that completely lose the message of the original like Total Recall and Robocop.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, RyanSz said:

It depends on the movie for the remake for me. Many of the horror remakes for the big series like Friday the 13th, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, or The Hills Have Eyes have been enjoyable for me as they show reverence to the source films while also adding to the lore, but then you have those blatant crash grabs at lesser known films like My Bloody Valentine, When a Stranger Calls, Black Xmas, and others that either just replaced what made the original good  with a gimmick like 3d or just over the top gore for the sake of it, though in a case like Black Xmas, it did try to add onto the the lore of the original to make it a meatier film. Then you have a case where they want to rush to a remake like when they were talking about doing an American Psycho remake less than a decade after the original, or remakes that completely lose the message of the original like Total Recall and Robocop.

I think Robocop is deep enough with ideas that were only glossed over in the original that you could make a couple remakes while with their own basic stories. A movie about militarization or weaponizing police forces centered around a Robocop could be interesting. A movie about why Detroit and addressing the poor and the race breakdown would be interesting. But I don't think anyone remaking Robocop would want to make a movie with any depth even though the original is such a smart movie for a gory cyborg movie.

I never saw the remake of Black Christmas, but I'm not sure how you'd expand the lore for something that's basically just a campfire tale.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I think Robocop is deep enough with ideas that were only glossed over in the original that you could make a couple remakes while with their own basic stories. A movie about militarization or weaponizing police forces centered around a Robocop could be interesting. A movie about why Detroit and addressing the poor and the race breakdown would be interesting. But I don't think anyone remaking Robocop would want to make a movie with any depth even though the original is such a smart movie for a gory cyborg movie.

I never saw the remake of Black Christmas, but I'm not sure how you'd expand the lore for something that's basically just a campfire tale.

They created a whole backstory to who was calling and that characters past, as his family were the original owners of the house. It adds a nice layer to the story, especially considering how the remake for When a Stranger Calls tried to stretch out the first 30 minutes of the original to fit a 90 minute movie. As for the original Robocop, there were definite routes to take with the story, but the focus on what is a man/what is a machine was well done, but the remake like Total Recall's remake, removes any ambiguity from the story by just telling the audience "no this is how it really is."

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, RyanSz said:

They created a whole backstory to who was calling and that characters past, as his family were the original owners of the house. It adds a nice layer to the story, especially considering how the remake for When a Stranger Calls tried to stretch out the first 30 minutes of the original to fit a 90 minute movie. As for the original Robocop, there were definite routes to take with the story, but the focus on what is a man/what is a machine was well done, but the remake like Total Recall's remake, removes any ambiguity from the story by just telling the audience "no this is how it really is."

The Total Recall remake was supposed to be, to my understanding, closer to the book. I never read it but it wasn't long into the remake that I realized that was just marketing.

I guess I could get on board with the caller from Black Christmas having some backstory. I'd be pretty wary because I'd definitely expect that to go Rob Zombie's Halloween remake which made Michael Myers much less threatening in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post

Oh there is a bit of hokiness to the killer in Black Xmas, but you kind of expect it given the campy nature of the film, and considering that half of the marketing was literally made just for the trailers.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×