Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Are these nominations a joke?

I'm kind of busy at work and can't do a long list of complaints. I'll say this though: Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody, Vice and Black Panther for best picture? Get real.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

200.gif?cid=3640f6095c4104de5943334751ec

I'm legitimately SHOOK that Won't You Be My Neighbor didn't get a best doc nom!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, taylorannephoto said:

200.gif?cid=3640f6095c4104de5943334751ec

I'm legitimately SHOOK that Won't You Be My Neighbor didn't get a best doc nom!

Especially over RBG which is really not particularly good and has no depth on such an important figure. I haven't seen many docs this year. So, I can't really say much about this category yet.

1 minute ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Black Panther is the best tho

I loved Black Panther. It's the best Marvel movie and I legit cried watching it. But it's also wouldn't say it's in the best 10 movies of the year and it definitely didn't do much differently as a film than half the MCU. I love it for cultural reasons but as a movie, it's just good not great.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

Especially over RBG which is really not particularly good and has no depth on such an important figure. I haven't seen many docs this year. So, I can't really say much about this category yet.

I loved Black Panther. It's the best Marvel movie and I legit cried watching it. But it's also wouldn't say it's in the best 10 movies of the year and it definitely didn't do much differently as a film than half the MCU. I love it for cultural reasons but as a movie, it's just good not great.

I haven't seen RBG yet but you're actually the first person I've ever seen say even anything remotely negative about it so idk about that.

Also have to disagree with you about it not being that much different than half of the MCU. I wish it wasn't the first to be nominated though, but I still would have nominated it. I think Winter Soldier is actually the perfect MCU film and that should have been recognized as a brilliant political thriller but it took the cultural landscape that was Black Panther for them to start taking these movies seriously. Actually, Logan's nom last year for best screenplay might have even opened the door for this.

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

I haven't seen RBG yet but you're actually the first person I've ever seen say even anything remotely negative about it so idk about that.

Also have to disagree with you about it not being that much different than half of the MCU. I wish it wasn't the first to be nominated though, but I still would have nominated it. I think Winter Soldier is actually the perfect MCU film and that should have been recognized as a brilliant political thriller but it took the cultural landscape that was Black Panther for them to start taking these movies seriously. Actually, Logan's nom last year for best screenplay might have even opened the door for this.

My issue with RBG is that it's fine and that's it. It doesn't offer any analysis or depth I couldn't get from a wikipedia article. It touches on a lot of stuff but doesn't really examine them much. It's just the headlines of her life. It tells you about her struggle to be taken seriously as a lawyer and judge but it's very surface level. It spends 10 minutes of its run time on memes. I think any of these aspects are worthy of examination and could make a full feature.

I have similar issues with Won't You Be My Neighbor in that a lot of it is just clips I had already seen on youtube. But at least it had discussed how Daniel Tiger was Mr. Rogers finding his own voice and how his childhood affected the way he spoke to children and why it was so different from everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm a bit dubious of Black Panther myself. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved it, but I don't know if I'd call it Oscar worthy (whatever that means these days). I haven't seen any of the other films, but based on all of your Letterboxd reviews, I'd say those were pretty questionable picks.  I guess, out of all of them, BP would be my pick, but I really feel like there were better movies last year.

Share this post


Link to post

Oh I’m so pleased Minding the Gap got a best doc nom. It was one of my fav films this year overall, not just in the doc category. 

The rest of the noms in other categories...meh. Doesn’t exactly make me excited to watch the oscars this year. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, tomspanks said:

Oh I’m so pleased Minding the Gap got a best doc nom. It was one of my fav films this year overall, not just in the doc category. 

The rest of the noms in other categories...meh. Doesn’t exactly make me excited to watch the oscars this year. 

I really wanted to watch Minding The Gap. I think it's release was really short here and it's not available to stream anywhere yet.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Cameron H. said:

I'm a bit dubious of Black Panther myself. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved it, but I don't know if I'd call it Oscar worthy (whatever that means these days). I haven't seen any of the other films, but based on all of your Letterboxd reviews, I'd say those were pretty questionable picks.  I guess, out of all of them, BP would be my pick, but I really feel like there were better movies last year.

BP was definitely in my top 10 of the year but my goodness I had so many completely ignored movies in there as well. I'm mostly angry about the lack of love for Hereditary, and more importantly, Toni Fuckin' Collette.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I really wanted to watch Minding The Gap. I think it's release was really short here and it's not available to stream anywhere yet.

I watched it on Hulu.  I think it's still available.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

BP was definitely in my top 10 of the year but my goodness I had so many completely ignored movies in there as well. I'm mostly angry about the lack of love for Hereditary, and more importantly, Toni Fuckin' Collette.

Yeah, I’d give it Top 10 for sure. I just feel like there were better movies last year (at least 😜)

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Yeah, I’d give it Top 10 for sure. I just feel like there were better movies last year (at least 😜)

I just would argue against things like Vice and Bohemian Rhapsody before I would remove Black Panther.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

I just would argue against things like Vice and Bohemian Rhapsody before I would remove Black Panther.

Me too

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

I just would argue against things like Vice and Bohemian Rhapsody before I would remove Black Panther.

For sure. I considered whether or not I should list Black Panther because it is good while Bohemian Rhapsody and Vice are both not good. But is Black Panther better than Sorry To Bother You, Skate Kitchen, Blindspotting, Eighth Grade, First Man, Leave No Trace, Private Life? In my mind, it isn't but opinions and assholes and all that. Crazy Rich Asians is in my personal top 5 but I wouldn't argue it's the best picture of the year.

40 minutes ago, tomspanks said:

I watched it on Hulu.  I think it's still available.

I don't have hulu :(

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

For sure. I considered whether or not I should list Black Panther because it is good while Bohemian Rhapsody and Vice are both not good. But is Black Panther better than Sorry To Bother You, Skate Kitchen, Blindspotting, Eighth Grade, First Man, Leave No Trace, Private Life? In my mind, it isn't but opinions and assholes and all that. Crazy Rich Asians is in my personal top 5 but I wouldn't argue it's the best picture of the year.

 

Lots of these I haven't seen but Sorry to Bother You, Leave No Trace, and Skate Kitchen are absolutely in my top ten as well.

Like first of all there are two blank slates for movies to get added because they only nominated 8, so we could add two in that were left out, but I'm still staying on my hill that Black Panther absolutely deserved to be nominated alongside all of those lol.

But I also didn't see Bohemian Rhapsody (on principle) nor Vice, nor BlackkKlansman, nor The Favourite, nor Green Book, and to me a lot of that has to do with availability near me vs price of the theaters they did show at and I think that itself is kinda an issue. Although according to one of my best friend's she is pissed that Vice is getting any love cause she hated it and even though she liked Green Book she didn't think it was Best Picture worthy at all.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, grudlian. said:

For sure. I considered whether or not I should list Black Panther because it is good while Bohemian Rhapsody and Vice are both not good. But is Black Panther better than Sorry To Bother You, Skate Kitchen, Blindspotting, Eighth Grade, First Man, Leave No Trace, Private Life? In my mind, it isn't but opinions and assholes and all that. Crazy Rich Asians is in my personal top 5 but I wouldn't argue it's the best picture of the year.

 

That's my thing to. I like plenty of movies that don't necessarily deserve awards. I'm sure all the nominated movies are just fine, but they don't necessarily bring anything new to the table in terms of film making. I liked Crazy Rich Asians and Hearts Beat Loud much more than Black Panther, but I don't think they deserve awards either. I mean, yes, maybe, in a shallower pool. Maybe this just suggests that 2019 wasn't a great year for cinema...

It's kind of the opposite of how I feel about some of the movies on the AFI list. There are a number of movies on the AFI list that I don't necessarily like, but I can see why they should be included. A big one might be 2001. Based on technical achievement and influence alone, I feel like it deserves its slot, but I don't necessarily find it the most enjoyable movie to watch.

 

Share this post


Link to post

I haven't seen a lot of the movies but GREEN BOOK looks legit terrible. I love, love Mahershala Ali but if you saw the Hollywood Reporter roundtable that was going around Twitter yesterday? It made me want to see it even less, which is saying something.

I have been pretending he is winning things for his performance as Uncle Aaron in Into the Spider-verse.

I liked RBG but it wasn't super in depth. But then neither was the book it was based on.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

That's my thing to. I like plenty of movies that don't necessarily deserve awards. I'm sure all the nominated movies are just fine, but they don't necessarily bring anything new to the table in terms of film making. I liked Crazy Rich Asians and Hearts Beat Loud much more than Black Panther, but I don't think they deserve awards either. I mean, yes, maybe, in a shallower pool. Maybe this just suggests that 2019 wasn't a great year for cinema...

It's kind of the opposite of how I feel about some of the movies on the AFI list. There are a number of movies on the AFI list that I don't necessarily like, but I can see why they should be included. A big one might be 2001. Based on technical achievement and influence alone, I feel like it deserves its slot, but I don't necessarily find it the most enjoyable movie to watch.

 

I'm curious how much of this is a nebulous idea that superhero movies don't deserve Oscars or aren't "Oscar Worthy." I'm not complaining about The Favourite getting nominated despite not liking it but it's also a more traditional Oscar type movie.

5 minutes ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

I haven't seen a lot of the movies but GREEN BOOK looks legit terrible. I love, love Mahershala Ali but if you saw the Hollywood Reporter roundtable that was going around Twitter yesterday? It made me want to see it even less, which is saying something.

I have been pretending he is winning things for his performance as Uncle Aaron in Into the Spider-verse.

I liked RBG but it wasn't super in depth. But then neither was the book it was based on.

I know we covered it on Unspooled but Green Book is Driving Miss Daisy or The Help for 2018. It's kind of enjoyable. The performances are legit good. But it's really just a movie to make white people feel less racist about themselves.

I didn't see the round table but I read something about it a couple weeks ago. I guess the family has said their relationship was mostly professional and not a friendship.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I'm curious how much of this is a nebulous idea that superhero movies don't deserve Oscars or aren't "Oscar Worthy." I'm not complaining about The Favourite getting nominated despite not liking it but it's also a more traditional Oscar type movie.

I

Oh, personally, I have no problem with a superhero movie getting a nod. I just don’t feel like I have seen one that’s *that* good yet. 

That being said, if BP is the first, that’s fine. It’s worthier than most. 

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I'm curious how much of this is a nebulous idea that superhero movies don't deserve Oscars or aren't "Oscar Worthy."

Yea, besides being my fave, this is why I think Black Panther should win.  "Oscar-worthy" is such a weird circular logic for liking movies, I want the definition to change.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Oh, personally, I have no problem with a superhero movie getting a nod. I just don’t feel like I have seen one that’s *that* good yet. 

That being said, if BP is the first, that’s fine. It’s worthier than most. 

See, this is why I mentioned Winter Soldier, because I definitely don't think that BP should've been the first one to be recognized on this level. I still think it does deserve it, but to me Winter Soldier should've been the one to open many more doors for the comic book movie in this era because I genuinely thought it was the best of that year. Simply because if you take out all of the Captain America aspect to it and look at the core of it, it's a great great political thriller with a great great believable villain.

Even Logan should've been nominated before this. Dark Knight should've been nominated before this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Yea, besides being my fave, this is why I think Black Panther should win.  "Oscar-worthy" is such a weird circular logic for liking movies, I want the definition to change.

I agree that "Oscar worthy" is why we have a lot of Oscar "bait". I agree we should have a broader definition but, as good as Black Panther is, I don't think it's in the 10 best movies of the year. 

25 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Oh, personally, I have no problem with a superhero movie getting a nod. I just don’t feel like I have seen one that’s *that* good yet. 

That being said, if BP is the first, that’s fine. It’s worthier than most. 

I think that's where I'm at but I can't quite remove that nagging thought from my head.

10 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

See, this is why I mentioned Winter Soldier, because I definitely don't think that BP should've been the first one to be recognized on this level. I still think it does deserve it, but to me Winter Soldier should've been the one to open many more doors for the comic book movie in this era because I genuinely thought it was the best of that year. Simply because if you take out all of the Captain America aspect to it and look at the core of it, it's a great great political thriller with a great great believable villain.

Even Logan should've been nominated before this. Dark Knight should've been nominated before this.

My issue with your reasoning for Winter Soldier is "if you take out the Captain America..." He's in there though and we need to take the movie as a whole. The Captain America of it is what makes it seem a little bit sillier than more traditional political thrillers that Winter Soldier is trying to be.

I agree with you on arguably the best superhero movies. I'd even add Superman. For me, they just haven't ever cracked my top 10 for the year. As I said earlier, I'm not sure if that's my own personal hangups or not.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, grudlian. said:

My issue with your reasoning for Winter Soldier is "if you take out the Captain America..." He's in there though and we need to take the movie as a whole. The Captain America of it is what makes it seem a little bit sillier than more traditional political thrillers that Winter Soldier is trying to be.

I agree with you on arguably the best superhero movies. I'd even add Superman. For me, they just haven't ever cracked my top 10 for the year. As I said earlier, I'm not sure if that's my own personal hangups or not.

Then you don't understand why I said it. I said that because it's absolutely something that would be nominated but it gets tossed aside because the superhero aspect makes it "sillier," and I think that's damaging and absolutely incorrect.

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I know we covered it on Unspooled but Green Book is Driving Miss Daisy or The Help for 2018. It's kind of enjoyable. The performances are legit good. But it's really just a movie to make white people feel less racist about themselves.

I didn't see the round table but I read something about it a couple weeks ago. I guess the family has said their relationship was mostly professional and not a friendship.

I am sure Mahershala Ali is good in GREEN BOOK. He's good in everything. The article I read about the Shirley family said they were not consulted about the movie, that the white driver and he were not friends and, in fact, he was fired. Mahershala Ali called them an apologized because he was told there was no close family left.

https://shadowandact.com/the-real-donald-shirley-green-book-hollywood-swallowed-whole

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×