🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cinco DeNio

Musical Mondays Week 60 Preview (Cam Bert’s 4th Pick)

Sorry all, fell asleep a little early last night.

I was a bit torn as what to pick this time around. It was between something classic and traditional and something a bit more off the beaten path. Looking at my previous choices I decided that maybe it was my time to do something less traditional musical and just something that spoke to me.

We like musicals. We like the music of Sondheim and Lloyd Webber. These are classics of musical theater. In recent years a new trend of musicals started, and that was the juke box musical. Take a band or singer you like and write a story around some of their songs and bingo, you have a musical. What if there was a singer that decided to make his own musical though. He'd write the film and all the music but kept it very himself. Well in the mid 80's The Talking Head's David Byrne decided that he wanted to make a movie. He wanted to make a comedy. However he was David Byrne so it'd include lots of music numbers in it as well. I present my pick for Musical Monday...

True Stories

Best I can tell this is not streaming anywhere but is a pretty cheap rental from Amazon, iTunes, etc.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

Sorry all, fell asleep a little early last night.

I was a bit torn as what to pick this time around. It was between something classic and traditional and something a bit more off the beaten path. Looking at my previous choices I decided that maybe it was my time to do something less traditional musical and just something that spoke to me.

We like musicals. We like the music of Sondheim and Lloyd Webber. These are classics of musical theater. In recent years a new trend of musicals started, and that was the juke box musical. Take a band or singer you like and write a story around some of their songs and bingo, you have a musical. What if there was a singer that decided to make his own musical though. He'd write the film and all the music but kept it very himself. Well in the mid 80's The Talking Head's David Byrne decided that he wanted to make a movie. He wanted to make a comedy. However he was David Byrne so it'd include lots of music numbers in it as well. I present my pick for Musical Monday...

True Stories

Best I can tell this is not streaming anywhere but is a pretty cheap rental from Amazon, iTunes, etc.

I just watched this for the first time last month. It was interesting.

• Like 3

I've been meaning to watch True Stories for years.  I'm a gigantic fan and have the soundtrack but never really got around to watching it.  Excited!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I just watched this for the first time last month. It was interesting.

It is very David Byrne. I can see how this will be polarizing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

It is very David Byrne. I can see how this will be polarizing.

tumblr_mwqnn1ek4B1sycm4xo1_r1_250.gif

• Like 3

I am enormous fan of both Talking Heads and David Byrne, but I have somehow never seen True Stories. VERY MUCH looking forward to this!

• Like 4

I would be willing to do Rabbit showings tomorrow and Friday night at 9 Eastern.  I'm on call for work over the weekend but I can do the next 2 nights.

• Like 1

Encountered this vinyl soundtrack at my local independent theater earlier today. The sacred voodoo of David Byrne watches over Musical Mondays...

FB_IMG_1550774270705.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Quasar Sniffer said:

Encountered this vinyl soundtrack at my local independent theater earlier today. The sacred voodoo of David Byrne watches over Musical Mondays...

One of these days, I will walk out with The Thing board game.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tomspanks said:

One of these days, I will walk out with The Thing board game.

Thank you for informing me that this exists.

• Like 3

I wish I could see this but I'm probably going to be out again this week! I'm going away to visit my oldest friend  for a girls weekend! (in that I've known her the longest. My oldest friend is in her 60's should anyone care.) This looks fascinating because my mom loved the Talking Heads and I remember always looking at their cds and then blatantly ignoring them for Maddona, The Rolling Stones, and my favorites The Barenaked Ladies and this one Sarah Brightman singing the best of Andrew Loyd Webber BECAUSE I HAVE TASTE (and by taste I mean I was an insufferable theater nerd) 

• Like 5

Apologies.  My Rabbit room is ready.  Rabbit's new way has things working a little differently so I am going to wait to actually share until someone else arrives.

Shutting down for the night.  I apologize if anyone tried to get in and couldn't.  Rabbit's new way of doing things has it all messed up.  What's worse is their documentation is old and doesn't address several major issues.

This is another spoiler for what my thoughts on this movie are, but... although I traditionally identify as a heterosexual male (unless I'm watching a Thor movie or listening to Neil Gaiman speak), I think I need to expand whatever my sexual orientation is in some way to make sure it includes "David Byrne in a cowboy hat driving a car."

true-stories-david-byrne1.jpg

• Like 5

On 2/23/2019 at 4:41 PM, Quasar Sniffer said:

This is another spoiler for what my thoughts on this movie are, but... although I traditionally identify as a heterosexual male (unless I'm watching a Thor movie or listening to Neil Gaiman speak), I think I need to expand whatever my sexual orientation is in some way to make sure it includes "David Byrne in a cowboy hat driving a car."

true-stories-david-byrne1.jpg

If you’re flexible so is he

8tts.gif

• Haha 1