🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 60 True Stories

Wanted to mention that the song Soy de Tejas has an odd line. He says “el mariachi es mi mero guacamole” - the mariachi is my mere guacamole.  Wtf does this mean?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, tomspanks said:

Wanted to mention that the song Soy de Tejas has an odd line. He says “el mariachi es mi mero guacamole” - the mariachi is my mere guacamole.  Wtf does this mean?

You’ve never heard of Guac and Roll?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, tomspanks said:

I was going to ask you for some translations of the song

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cam Bert said:

I was going to ask you for some translations of the song

Well, a lot of the song is him listing cities in Texas. 

• Like 2

On 2/25/2019 at 9:23 PM, tomspanks said:

I listened to both and decided the soundtrack from the movie was for me. I needed Dream Operator sung by Annie McEnroe (and with more pedal steel guitar!) and Road Song.

Is there any where I can buy the MP3s of the movie soundtrack instead of the disc?

On 2/26/2019 at 12:27 PM, Quasar Sniffer said:

I still have "Wild Wild Life" stuck in my head and I am NOT sad about it.

Story of my life. I'm old, I remember seeing True Stories when it came out and enjoying it quite a bit. I wasn't a mega-fan of the Talking Heads but I did like them and still do. So many great character actors in this film, including the late Spalding Gray. Now I want to watch it again. And Swimming to Cambodia.

Also, for those of you who are into the background music, you really oughta check out Byrne's solo records, his collaborations with various world music luminaries and Brian frigging Eno, and the other Talking Heads' members projects, like Tom Tom Club and Casual Gods. But especially the Byrne/Eno records.

Things fall apart! It's scientific!

• Like 4

Hands up if you want to see David Lynch and David Byrne make a film together. Maybe they already have. They could get Dave Foley, David Spade, David Hayter...

(They all have their own hands, but they come from different moms.)

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, theworstbuddhist said:

Things fall apart! It's scientific!

This has been in my head since I watched the movie

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Is there any where I can buy the MP3s of the movie soundtrack instead of the disc?

I bought it on Amazon.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Cinco DeNio said:

Got it.  Thanks!

Glad you found it.  I have no regrets buying this version.

• Like 2

Why was there such a disparity in the singing of Louis' song between him meeting bed lady and the talent show?  When he met bed lady he was all "This is a song I wrote.  Not sure it's very good.  Please don't tell me you hate it."  It sounded like he was going to sing it acapella or maybe with a piano backing him.  Then he comes out on stage with a backing group, arrangements and no fear at all!  Did the voodoo guy put all that together, including confidence for Louis?

• Like 3

For that matter, even with it all being pre-fab, wasn't that talent show stage just a little outsized for the small town?  Not to mention the lighting not being pre-fab (I mean the ones hanging from the stage, not the built-in blue lighting surrounding the whole structure.)  Part of David Byrne's fantasy I'm sure.  Just seems an abrupt shift from the low-tech fashion show at the mall to the high-tech talent show.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

For that matter, even with it all being pre-fab, wasn't that talent show stage just a little outsized for the small town?  Not to mention the lighting not being pre-fab (I mean the ones hanging from the stage, not the built-in blue lighting surrounding the whole structure.)  Part of David Byrne's fantasy I'm sure.  Just seems an abrupt shift from the low-tech fashion show at the mall to the high-tech talent show.

What I thought was interesting about the stage was that it was a perfect box which was basically how he described the office building at the beginning. I wondered if he was drawing a parallel between the two, but I ran out of time on my rental and couldn’t rewatch the scene to really compares.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

What I thought was interesting about the stage was that it was a perfect box which was basically how he described the office building at the beginning. I wondered if he was drawing a parallel between the two, but I ran out of time on my rental and couldn’t rewatch the scene to really compares.

Tres interesante!  I hadn't thought of that.  Reminds me of a description I read about the movie that shall not be named (It rhymes with Bite Schlub):  The men of Project Mayhem, in the end, were just doing the same jobs they had done in the corporate world!  They were just working for Tyler now instead of The Man.  They thought they were escaping but then became the same nameless, faceless drones they were before.  Except for Robert Paulsen (Paulson?) did we ever learn any of their names?

• Like 3

Off-topic: Is it ever permissible to just show favorite movies on Rabbit?  I have one obscure one that I love but it's not really HDTGM-worthy (and it's not a musical).

7 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Off-topic: Is it ever permissible to just show favorite movies on Rabbit?  I have one obscure one that I love but it's not really HDTGM-worthy (and it's not a musical).

Sure, that's the whole point of Rabbit!  

I'd certainly be interested if it's something I haven't seen and I'm free.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Sure, that's the whole point of Rabbit!  

I'd certainly be interested if it's something I haven't seen and I'm free.

Thanks!  I'm thinking about two weeks from now on Thursday, so March 14th.  Next week will be taken with Quasar's pick and the 15th is probably an HDTGM Classics night.  I would probably have to do it as a public room unless someone here is more knowledgeable about using the new groups feature.

Has anyone seen Shallow Grave from Danny Boyle? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Thanks!  I'm thinking about two weeks from now on Thursday, so March 14th.  Next week will be taken with Quasar's pick and the 15th is probably an HDTGM Classics night.  I would probably have to do it as a public room unless someone here is more knowledgeable about using the new groups feature.

Has anyone seen Shallow Grave from Danny Boyle? 

Shallow Grave is a great one. Probably my favorite Danny Boyle movie.

• Like 3

I just want to thank everybody for watching this movie. I think it's an interesting film that was a bit ahead of its time. At least we can all agree the music is great!

Also, I found out on the weekend Neil Young wrote, directed and starred in a similar odd movie in the earlier 80s called Human Highway that stars and has music by, personal favourites, DEVO. Am I going to watch this tonight? Yes!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

I just want to thank everybody for watching this movie. I think it's an interesting film that was a bit ahead of its time. At least we can all agree the music is great!

Also, I found out on the weekend Neil Young wrote, directed and starred in a similar odd movie in the earlier 80s called Human Highway that stars and has music by, personal favourites, DEVO. Am I going to watch this tonight? Yes!

This sounds very interesting and I've never heard of it. Not sure how well Neil Young and Devo go together but this came out the same year Trans did which is the most Devo-ish album of Neil Young's career. So, this could work.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

• Like 1

Sad to say Human Highway was less of a musical and more of a weird art house comedy thing. A very mixed bag and somehow much weirder than True Stories but not really in a good way. Here is the highlight which is Neil Young and DEVO performing Hey Hey My My

• Like 1

I just saw this and it really gave me the giggles...

• Like 4
  • Haha 2