🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 208.5 - Minisode 208.5

Nordic dogs, abolitionists, and more on this week’s mini-sode! Paul opens up the Explanation Hope Line, goes through Corrections and Omissions for Harry & Meghan, and opens up the Mail Bag. Plus, find out which movie we will be watching next week!

Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson here: http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/

Check out our new website over at www.hdtgminfo.com!

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli…wdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

@PaulScheer on Instagram & Twitter

@Junediane on IG and @MsJuneDiane on Twitter

Jason is still not on Twitter

Finally they are covering the utter crapshow of The Snowman and Harry Hole.

Hi guys,

I was kind if tearing up about the suicide. Long-time posters might remember I had a depressive episode about two years ago and my doctor put me in the hospital. What I learned there is that mentally ill people are some of the nicest, most sensitive folks and we have terrible mental healthcare in this country (I heard there was a doc about it at Sundance this year and I can't wait to see because it's a problem that needs some work). Anyway, if you are depressed and reading this, please do call a hotline or someone you love. I know a lot of people don't like to use the phone now days but those people volunteer for this. They want to talk to you. And, tbh, it couldn't make you feel worse, could it? 

Anyway that was more serious than I wanted. I am excited about THE SNOWMAN. It looks awful and I don't really understand the appeal of Fassbender. (As an actor, please don't comment about penis size, weirdos.) Does he have more teeth than other people, I want to know. 

• Like 9

It happened! Paul pronounced my name correctly!

I also want to add that libraries often have free streaming services. They don't have the library of Amazon Prime, Netflix or Hulu. They have had some hard to find movies that How Did This Get Made has covered. So, you should definitely check out your local library (but do not check out the lone copy of Snowman that's been sitting there for months until I can borrow it first).

• Like 2

Dear Paul, please sign the copies of Transformers that someone keeps sending you and sell them to fans for charity. I'd gladly pay twenty bucks or so for one, as long as I don't have to watch it again.

• Like 1

Ah The Snowman had been on HBO app for like 6 months... until last week!  

Also I've read The Snowman book, and it's great!  Curious how the film gets it so wrong

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Ah The Snowman had been on HBO app for like 6 months... until last week!  

Also I've read The Snowman book, and it's great!  Curious how the film gets it so wrong

Gdi I knew that was going to happen. My mom has been trying to get me to watch it every since it came out because of how bonkers it is and I kept telling her, "Noooo I want to wait for HDTGM." 🙄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Hi guys,

I was kind if tearing up about the suicide. Long-time posters might remember I had a depressive episode about two years ago and my doctor put me in the hospital. What I learned there is that mentally ill people are some of the nicest, most sensitive folks and we have terrible mental healthcare in this country (I heard there was a doc about it at Sundance this year and I can't wait to see because it's a problem that needs some work). Anyway, if you are depressed and reading this, please do call a hotline or someone you love. I know a lot of people don't like to use the phone now days but those people volunteer for this. They want to talk to you. And, tbh, it couldn't make you feel worse, could it?

I battle clinical anxiety and depression every day and let me just say that I could not agree more with everything Elektra has said here. I've never met anyone that suffers from a mental illness that wasn't actively trying to be the best and nicest person they can be.

Also, Elektra, we love you so much here and every time I see you post it makes me happy.

• Like 9

59 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

Gdi I knew that was going to happen. My mom has been trying to get me to watch it every since it came out because of how bonkers it is and I kept telling her, "Noooo I want to wait for HDTGM." 🙄

Same. I had it in my watchlist FOREVER! I think it moved to Cinemax though if you have that (I don’t :( )

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cameron H. said:

Same. I had it in my watchlist FOREVER! I think it moved to Cinemax though if you have that (I don’t :( )

For some reason they took away our Cinemax with zero warning 😭

• Like 1

1 minute ago, taylorannephoto said:

For some reason they took away our Cinemax with zero warning 😭

Nooooooo! Lol

Ive already used up my free 7-day preview too :( 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taylorannephoto said:

Also, Elektra, we love you so much here and every time I see you post it makes me happy.

I just want to second this! I love it when Elektra is here! Elektra is so smart and witty! She makes me jealous.

• Like 3

I mean, you could just use the Corrections and Omissions themes that you already have but haven't used:

Just sayin'.

5 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

I battle clinical anxiety and depression every day and let me just say that I could not agree more with everything Elektra has said here. I've never met anyone that suffers from a mental illness that wasn't actively trying to be the best and nicest person they can be.

Same, on all counts.

To reiterate what Paul said, if anyone reading this needs someone to talk to (confidentially and for free) call 1-800-273-8255. Their site has resources for Spanish speakers and deaf/hard of hearing people too.

And if you're trans and you want to connect with fellow trans people who understand what you're going through, the volunteers at Trans Lifeline are waiting. Call 1-877-565-8860.

• Like 9

Thanks guys. I am sending virtual hugs, etc. 

i actualky did have to describe this podcast to my therapist, because she is all about like, coping in advance. And I was going to do something stressful (it involves seeing my parents) and she was like, you should put some episodes of that podcast on your phone. What is it again? And I was like, oh it’s kind of silly, it’s these comedian friends talking about bad movies they watch. I guess I was kind of sheepish and she said it makes sense, because when I feel isolated (which I do Around my parents or when I’m depressed) I can listen to friends talk and laugh, and it sort of simulates having friends in the room without me having to do any emotional work/or get stressed—because I am an introvert and usually people drain me. Plus movies are meant to be escapist. That is why I love storytelling and work with books. But books are my job so sometimes even when I’m reading for fun, it feels like work. 

I don't know, I was kind of stunned by this summation. I kind of thought I was just a weirdo. 

I would also definitely include all of you as stress free friends! 😀

And, because I can’t be serious for long stretches, I too thought people were sending in their stuff to get free promotion which made me wonder, should I be sending in books I worked on? Am I an idiot for not thinking of this before Paul figured out the game?

• Like 7

11 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

Dear Paul, please sign the copies of Transformers that someone keeps sending you and sell them to fans for charity. I'd gladly pay twenty bucks or so for one, as long as I don't have to watch it again.

This is a great idea, sign them and auction for charity, maybe Emily’s List? (I know June is affiliated with them). Or NAMI since we are talking about mental health.

• Like 2

I echo everyone's thoughts on suicide. Without making this too much about me, I, also struggle with depression/anxiety and suicidal ideation. The podcast, and this forum are excellent respites for the soul pounding the world can give us. 

Grateful fur all of you! 

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

I echo everyone's thoughts on suicide. Without making this too much about me, I, also struggle with depression/anxiety and suicidal ideation. The podcast, and this forum are excellent respites for the soul pounding the world can give us. 

Grateful fur all of you! 

We love you, Snakes! You’ve been a wonderful addition to our nerdy, little family here :) 

• Like 3

And, because I don’t say it enough, I just want to say how much I appreciate Taylor Anne. You’re my oldest friend on the boards and I probably take your presence here far more than I should. 

In fact, old friends and new friends alike, thank you for being here! I talk about you all (in good ways) far more than you would probably guess.

• Like 4

You are all wonderful humans and even if my own mental health issues make me a swirling gyre of self-doubt, I want you all to know that you are all awesome and appreciated!

But if there is one thing I CANNOT tolerate, it is shade throne at Michael Fassbender. I could stare into his dreamy cold-steel eyes forever. He's even who I picture when I think of Macbeth.macbeth-character-poster-fassbender.jpg

BUT you are all SO GREAT that I still love coming here even if you are unimpressed by Mr. Fassbender😁

• Like 2

In all seriousness though, I had a conversation with my brother, who is a mental health counselor, about the very topic of suicidally depressed people who are very kind and seem outwardly positive. Within days of Brody taking his own life, I heard a public radio story about a college basketball player who exhibited these tendencies to the letter and ended up committing suicide as well. In the case of the athlete, his peers and his family were totally shocked that he would do such a thing, totally oblivious to his symptoms. A lot of that has to do with the culture of athletics and the community he grew up in, both of whom tend to sweep such problems under the rug. So it behooves all of us to reach out to people who are hurting, to make them feel recognized and appreciated, at least so they know they have some place to go to for help. Thank you all for doing that here.

• Like 5

Hi Paul & all,

Long time listener, first time poster and hesitant to do so but the minisode struck a personal nerve and I feel compelled to educate.

The updated terminology is “died by suicide” not “committed suicide” since the word “committed” implies the person did something immoral or sinful. A simple way to minimize the stigma surrounding mental illness and suicide is to be mindful of the words one uses in speaking about it. Thank you for spreading awareness and providing resources for those struggling, but please be mindful of the words being used.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dylan619xf said:

Hi Paul & all,

Long time listener, first time poster and hesitant to do so but the minisode struck a personal nerve and I feel compelled to educate.

The updated terminology is “died by suicide” not “committed suicide” since the word “committed” implies the person did something immoral or sinful. A simple way to minimize the stigma surrounding mental illness and suicide is to be mindful of the words one uses in speaking about it. Thank you for spreading awareness and providing resources for those struggling, but please be mindful of the words being used.

Welcome! Thanks for the info. I had never heard that before. But I remember being told in Catholic school that taking your own life was the greatest sin because you were rejecting God's gift of life. And I was like, well cancer attacks your own body too but nobody blames you for cancer or says "she cancered herself to death."

Anyway, I'm not super religious anymore but I remember our teacher taking the class aside and saying, "But God is also omnipotent and would know what kind of pain you were in and take that into account." I liked that version better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2019 at 5:53 AM, grudlian. said:

It happened! Paul pronounced my name correctly!

I also want to add that libraries often have free streaming services. They don't have the library of Amazon Prime, Netflix or Hulu. They have had some hard to find movies that How Did This Get Made has covered. So, you should definitely check out your local library (but do not check out the lone copy of Snowman that's been sitting there for months until I can borrow it first).

Yeah!! If you have a library card, look into the Apps Hoopla and Kanopy. Streaming movies for free from your library. Chances are they use one of these...Hoopla is the best. 

Also to find movies, I use the JustWatch app. It’s a great meta-search for streaming movies and it catalogs almost every app out there. 

Oh, and heres a related video I found on Vimeo for anyone still looking  

• Like 1

I don’t see a thread for this week’s minisode so I will just post here. I am very pleased for Cambert and his ball theory.

i am not usually a person who boycotts movies but I knew a woman with dissociative identity disorder (it is not called “multiple personalities”)  who was VERY distraught by SPLIT. I am told that they are often bullied and ostracized because  SO MANY movies present them as murderers. When in truth, most people develop dissociative identity disorder to dissociate from extreme trauma. That is, they are mor likely to be the victims of horrible crimes than then perpetrators. 

Anyway, I am sure SPLIT and GLASS are hot messes. But I had to skip the movie bitches laughing about it. It doesn’t seem fun to me. Also like, who do you think you are trying to do “multiple personality serial killer” better than PSYCHO. I say boo fuck you to M. Night Shamalayn. 

• Like 1