🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Episode 209.5 - Minisode 209.5

Pronouncing Harry Hole, two ball snowmen, and more on this week’s mini-sode! Paul opens up the Explanation Hope Line, goes through Corrections and Omissions for The Snowman, opens up the Mail Bag, and gives his Pick of the Week. Plus, find out which movie we will be watching next week!

This episode is brought to you by Mercari (www.mercari.com) and Linkedin (www.linkedin.com/BONKERS).

Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson here: http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/

Check out our new website over at www.hdtgminfo.com!

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli…wdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

@PaulScheer on Instagram & Twitter

@Junediane on IG and @MsJuneDiane on Twitter

Jason is still not on Twitter

(I hope no one minds I created this thread :) )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So I saw Paul and June's place in Variety because they are selling and can I just say they have amazing taste and I would expect nothing less from the great June Diane (also Paul). On a scale of one to restraining order how creepy would it be  to call in to ask where they got the bed in the photo series? Is Casper sending podcasters stunning canopy beds now?

3 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Paul says he sleeps on a Caspar so I'm going to say yes.

But is Casper sending out bed frames to go with the mattress? 

Van Helsing is finally taking place! Here's hoping Swordfish can make it there too.

Here’s a question we haven’t asked in a long awhile: what are the top five movies you hope HDTGM will cover in the future? I think they’ve done a bunch of mine, so I’ll have to think about it myself...

(Taylor’s not allowed to say Queen of the Damned :P )

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cameron H. said:

Here’s a question we haven’t asked in a long awhile: what are the top five movies you hope HDTGM will cover in the future? I think they’ve done a bunch of mine, so I’ll have to think about it myself...

Can *I* say Queen of the Dammed? Because it must be talked about!

I don't really have a top five but I do have a number one and that is Showgirls.  I find new movies I want them to cover every so often but Showgirls has been my constant. WE HAVE TO TALK ABOUT THIS BONKERS FILM! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gigi-tastic said:

Can *I* say Queen of the Dammed? Because it must be talked about!

Lol - yeah, that’s cool. Here are my first five off the top of my head:

1) The Core

2) Blank Check

3) Live a Little, Love a Little (or some other Elvis movie)

4) Monkeybone

5) Town & Country

• Like 4

I dunno but number one has to be Rockula

Also wouldn't mind if they dove into some old Lifetime Movie Network ones, like the classic cheese ones from the '90s like Mother May I Sleep With Danger or Friends 'Til The End 

Oh I once watched a Spanish Fast and the Furious ripoff called Combustion which was pretty terrible if they want to branch out into foreign films. that would be a good one

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Also wouldn't mind if they dove into some old Lifetime Movie Network ones, like the classic cheese ones from the '90s like Mother May I Sleep With Danger or Friends 'Til The End 

Oh I once watched a Spanish Fast and the Furious ripoff called Combustion which was pretty terrible if they want to branch out into foreign films. that would be a good one

Rockula is definitely in my top 5. My number 1 is No Retreat, No Surrender.

I waver on Heartbeeps. It definitely is terrible enough and would be a good episode but watching it is awful. So awful it made me kind of physically uncomfortable watching it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

As of today:

1) The Butterfly Effect

2) Millennium

3) Ladyhawk

4) Mercury Rising

5) The Cloverfield Paradoxes

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Lol - yeah, that’s cool. Here are my first five off the top of my head:

1) The Core

2) Blank Check

3) Live a Little, Love a Little (or some other Elvis movie)

4) Monkeybone

5) Town & Country

Blank Check was what I assumed was the best plan for adult life. I was a very dumb child who dreamed of committing fraud because of this movie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vladimir Poutine said:

As of today:

1) The Butterfly Effect

2) Millennium

3) Ladyhawk

4) Mercury Rising

5) The Cloverfield Paradoxes

I really want to hear Jason talk about how much he loved Ladyhawk! I loved the fairy tale this was based on as a kid.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I mean anything with Tori Spelling is a yes! Not to date myself but I would love for them to do the cheesy great Original Disney Channel Movies from the 90's and early 2000's like  Smart House, The Luck Of The Irish or The 13th Year about that boy mermaid. I know I got drunk and found one with a young Katherine Heigl where she and her younger sister switch bodies and its... Something. They have a scene where the older sister in younger sister's body goes to school dressed as a dominatrix and puts on a show at lunch which is uncomfortable as fuck.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gigi-tastic said:

I mean anything with Tori Spelling is a yes!

And Shannen Doherty is in the other one I mentioned!  (And she sings in it!) (Maybe it will be my Musical Monday pick next time through haha)

But yea, I think Paul mentioned that June wants them do to a LMN movie but I dunno, Harry & Meghan isn't quite the same category as those old weird ones. We need a couple real ones picked here to satisfy June (and me). There was a crazy one where Yasmine Bleeth had a face transplant or something like that. I used to watch so many of those in university, and they've all stuck with me for some reason.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

And Shannen Doherty is in the other one I mentioned!  (And she sings in it!) (Maybe it will be my Musical Monday pick next time through haha)

But yea, I think Paul mentioned that June wants them do to a LMN movie but I dunno, Harry & Meghan isn't quite the same category as those old weird ones. We need a couple real ones picked here to satisfy June (and me). There was a crazy one where Yasmine Bleeth had a face transplant or something like that. I used to watch so many of those in university, and they've all stuck with me for some reason.

Oh God I love that stuff. 90's Lifetime is amazing!!

• Like 2

I listen to two "bad film" podcasts (sometimes I get confused which ones covered what LOL) but the one I've always wanted to see covered is 1989's Sonny Boy. I saw it ONCE on TCM when they used to do Friday Night "Midnight Movies" and it's basically a grindhouse film but it's cast puts it in a weird space. It's also bonkers. This is the summary from Wikipedia

In 1970, Harmony, a small town in New Mexico, is run by a small-time crime boss named Slue, who accepts the delivery of a Lincoln Continental car stolen by his henchmen Weasel, who brings it after killing a couple who was travelling with their child. When the crime boss finds the couple's baby in the backseat he wants to kill him, but he is stopped by his transvestite “wife”, Pearl. Slue decides to keep the baby - which Pearl names “Sonny Boy” - but he cuts out the boy’s tongue and raises him as a mute accomplice in their crimes, training and treating him like a wild dog, and sending Sonny Boy to kill anyone who wants to steal from or opposes Slue's grip over the town. When the grown Sonny Boy (now an 18 years old man), escapes from his "lair" and tries to make contact with the outside world, the attention he draws to his warped family results in darkly-humored mayhem.

The cast though?

David Carradine as Pearl, Paul L Smith (Bluto in Altman's Popeye) as Slue, Brad Dourif as Weasel, Conrad Janis (Mindy's dad on Mork and Mindy) as the doctor, Sydney Lassick (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest), and Alexandra Powers (Mask, Dead Poets Society). This movie is insane and looks like it came out of like 1979 not 1989. I've always thought it was ripe for a remake from Rob Zombie 

On 3/24/2019 at 11:31 AM, Cameron H. said:

I WILL NOT BE CONTAINED!!!!!!!!!!

source.gif

I would've said Day After Tomorrow anyway but LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE CAMERON!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

I WILL NOT BE CONTAINED!!!!!!!!!!

source.gif

I would've said Day After Tomorrow anyway but LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE CAMERON!

QotD really should be done...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

QotD really should be done...

We got so close that one Halloween when Paul mentioned it as a possibility in a minisode, and I felt like this movie was a dollar on a fishing line that was yanked away lol.

• Like 2

I just wanted to thank Paul for the library shoutout! I am a librarian and get all of my HDTGM picks through our library system. I'd like to assure anyone hesitant to use their local library that we have seen it all and are generally unphased by any requests. Furthermore, staff aren't supposed to comment on what you take out anyway, but if someone does, say it is for a bad movie research project you're working on. Problem solved! Support your local libraries!

• Like 6

On 3/24/2019 at 12:31 PM, Cameron H. said:

So many choices!! I also vote for Rockula. That was just... beyond. It seems to so perfectly fit the HDTGM brand! Others, I think, I'd also agree with Ladyhawk. They haven't done Highlander, have they? I don't think I've seen that in their archives.

Also:

Troop Beverly Hills

Space Camp

Center Stage 

Serenity

• Like 2