🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
DaltonMaltz

Episode 21 - Nicole Byer

Comedian and actress Nicole Byer feels excited about being Conan O’Brien’s friend!

Nicole and Conan sit down to chat about loving the people they torment, marriages of convenience, Ayahuasca side effects, Conan’s dateability, and making your own tattoos with Microsoft Word. Later, Conan recaps a texting miscommunication during a game of True or False with Sona Movsesian.

Got a question for Conan? Call our voicemail: (323) 451-2821.

For Conan videos, tour dates and more visit TeamCoco.com.

The section in this episode where Nicole Byer makes fun of guys with small penises is utterly wrong. The fact that it is still somehow okay to make fun of something that a large swath of the population has no ability to change is crazy to me. If I was a guy and had a small penis listening to someone - anyone - talk like this would make me want to die. 

Until now I had loved every single episode of Conan Needs a Friend.  This was just not up to quality.  Don't misunderstand, Conan, Sona, and Matt were their normal charismatic hilarious selves... The problem with this was the guest.

Somehow just because she was subjected to an environment where men misbehaved and were misogynistic, that gives her a free pass to be a misandrist?  I guess her mom never told her two wrongs don't make a right.  If a man were to get on a public platform and go on-and-on about how he is only interested in women who are naturally well endowed and suggest that sleeping with women who have smaller breasts is somehow "doing them a favor" they'd be run out of town on a rail.

Then she continued, and when the topic of Van Halen was mentioned, she took it upon herself to boldly and directly disparage both the gender and ethnicity of everyone else in the room who was familiar with the musician she was not familiar with.  That's just disgusting.  These are things we should have moved past in the 1960s.  This isn't being edgy or witty... It's simple sexism and racism.  But hey, I guess maybe she's been subjected to sexism and racism in her past?  Well guess what... Two wrongs still don't make a right.

I couldn't even make it all the way through this episode, it was just far too hate filled.

17 hours ago, Gurkee said:

Until now I had loved every single episode of Conan Needs a Friend.  This was just not up to quality.  Don't misunderstand, Conan, Sona, and Matt were their normal charismatic hilarious selves... The problem with this was the guest.

Somehow just because she was subjected to an environment where men misbehaved and were misogynistic, that gives her a free pass to be a misandrist?  I guess her mom never told her two wrongs don't make a right.  If a man were to get on a public platform and go on-and-on about how he is only interested in women who are naturally well endowed and suggest that sleeping with women who have smaller breasts is somehow "doing them a favor" they'd be run out of town on a rail.

Then she continued, and when the topic of Van Halen was mentioned, she took it upon herself to boldly and directly disparage both the gender and ethnicity of everyone else in the room who was familiar with the musician she was not familiar with.  That's just disgusting.  These are things we should have moved past in the 1960s.  This isn't being edgy or witty... It's simple sexism and racism.  But hey, I guess maybe she's been subjected to sexism and racism in her past?  Well guess what... Two wrongs still don't make a right.

I couldn't even make it all the way through this episode, it was just far too hate filled.

I read your post and then listened to the episode and have two words for you: Overreact much?

Nicole's comments don't come anywhere near misandry, gender/ethnicity disparaging, or hate-filled. As a fellow white male, you need to get over yourself, bro.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DavidFrederick said:

I read your post and then listened to the episode and have two words for you: Overreact much?

Nicole's comments don't come anywhere near misandry, gender/ethnicity disparaging, or hate-filled. As a fellow white male, you need to get over yourself, bro.

... and if the tables were turned, and a woman were to speak out against male sexism... would she be told "Get over yourself, gal"?  I doubt it.  Bigotry is alive and well, and has no place in our society.  Thanks for confirming my point.

Geez you really truly believe it's real racism to note that Van Halen makes white people music?

Racism and sexism are about power imbalances; we fight it when a majority targets hatred on a minority. That's not even remotely the same thing as pointing out white people like Van Halen. It's not even the same thing for a woman to dislike the state of the patriarchy. See how it works, and how Nicole isn't it?  Probably not, because you're an idiot. 

All she did was mention race and you flipped your damn lid. White people are such snowflakes. Get over yourself. Haha "boldly and directly disparage everyone in the room" haha so ridiculous.

I don't believe it to be possible that you're even remotely a fan of Conan O'Brien. Go away.

• Like 4

I can't get enough of Conan's podcast and this episode really made me laugh. I love Nicole Byer. But the best part was at the end of the episode in the True or False segment with Sona and Conan talking about her dog Oki  - this made me laugh so hard I had to pull over my car because I couldn't keep my eyes open. I didn't even know that that was something my body would do during uncontrollable laughter. Thanks Conan for bringing me such joy!

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 11:11 PM, Gurkee said:

boy, you really have no idea what those words mean. This was one of the funniest episodes theyve done, it was a fucking joke.

Its not racist to say Van Helen makes white people music LOL Its called a joke. Believe it or not, white people aren't oppressed my dude. Making a joke that Van Helen makes white music literally does nothing racist, its a stereotype.

21 hours ago, Gurkee said:

... and if the tables were turned, and a woman were to speak out against male sexism... would she be told "Get over yourself, gal"?  I doubt it.  Bigotry is alive and well, and has no place in our society.  Thanks for confirming my point.

Well considering she wasnt serious, yeah no one would give a fuck. Because they are joking on a podcast. Im sure you think white men are being oppressed in this day and age somehow. Christ, Its hilarious when a Black Woman makes jokes at the expense of a white person, people like you want to jump so quick to say "SEE IT HAPPENS TO US!!! SHES THE REAL RACIST!".

Man, please try better to understand what racism and sexism is. Nicole Byers doesn't look down on white people, she doesnt think they are lesser people because of their skin. She isnt oppressing anyone and she is sure as hell isnt being a bigot. My god you do not know the definition of that word.

• Like 1

Okay, I am going to give my professional opinion. 😨

Conan ~ Date rating a 7.5. 😘

Physically you're a 7. (You're my parents age) Age matters a little. (I will be 32 in a month) 🧓

Personality you're a 9.. Lighthearted and funny ..bonus points. 🙃

1 Point knocked down for being married and .05 for having kids. 😉

...You're welcome. -Professional opinion from Samantha. 😬

(Whats with all the negative comments? I was expecting this to be much worse..) 😱

On 4/15/2019 at 11:37 PM, AlmostAGhost said:

Geez you really truly believe it's real racism to note that Van Halen makes white people music?

Racism and sexism are about power imbalances; we fight it when a majority targets hatred on a minority. That's not even remotely the same thing as pointing out white people like Van Halen. It's not even the same thing for a woman to dislike the state of the patriarchy. See how it works, and how Nicole isn't it?  Probably not, because you're an idiot. 

All she did was mention race and you flipped your damn lid. White people are such snowflakes. Get over yourself. Haha "boldly and directly disparage everyone in the room" haha so ridiculous.

I don't believe it to be possible that you're even remotely a fan of Conan O'Brien. Go away.

I just happened upon this thread and my first thought as I'm reading down the list was "what would Taylor think of this?" Glad to see a friendly face call BS! 

• Like 1

I’m starting to get tired of earwolf pushing the “Nicole Byer is funny” agenda. I don’t care if you’re male or female, if you have to rely on penis jokes to be funny, were  you ever really funny in the first place? I do find it confusing to hear her talk about hearing misogynistic comedians, and then modeling her own comedy after that kind of humor. I guess some people find her funny and I can’t fault you for that if you do, I just know there are plenty of funny female comedians out there that don’t rely on the penis schtick. (Haha I said penis schtick)