🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 63 A Star is Born (1937)

12 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

The music world is much wider and larger, and people seem to be able to milk careers longer.

That’s very true. Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, U2, Pearl Jam etc are all doing just fine. Hell, even NKOTB are doing well. They might not be topping the charts, but I’m sure they get that music is, in general, a young person’s game.. Acting makes much more sense.

I also wish I understood “Maines’” psychology in general. He’s at best apathetic to fame. He seems be done with it. But when his star is in decline he’s like, “Welp, I can’t take a support position so I might as well end it.”

• Like 2

last summer, I went to a comic-con in North Carolina and there was Joey Fatone, signing autographs for something like $30. I almost got one for the office I work at, because why not. Alice Cooper was also t here, signing autographs and doing photo-ops for like $80/a pop, again because why not.

That's another area that could have been/could be explored in either path ASIB could take (when it gets remade again in 30 years)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

My vibe, not necessarily in terms of music style or personality, was he was, like, Eddie Vedder levels of famous. Pretty big and respected, but of the old guard. The thing is, I know of Eddie Vedder. If you showed me a picture of Eddie Vedder with Pearl Jam, I’d be like, “That’s the guy.” But if Eddie Vedder walked up to me on the street, I wouldn’t have a clue who he was. I’m certain some people would, but not at the “OMG you’re Jackson Maine!” level depicted in the movie.

I think there are very few musicians most people would know on sight. I don’t see Jackson Maine having the crossover appeal to become a household name/face.

I think it depends on the people doing the spotting to be honest. Also I'm a terrible person to have this conversation with because my college roommate and her now husband would call me the IMDB robot when we would watch movies together because I can recognize everyone and tell you what it is I recognize them from. Then last night I went to my mom's to watch the NCAA final (so mad) and I heard a story I had never heard before where I found out that my dad recognized Victor Wong in a restaurant here in Dallas out of nowhere and he was so delighted by it that they got to sit down with him and have a really lovely conversation. Apparently it's a genetic thing that has now caused me to be able to spot anyone. I've also once spotted our very own Paul Scheer on the streets of Austin just as I happened to walk by him once in 2010, and that was before this podcast!

Point being, I could probably spot Eddie Vedder in a bar and I would probably be that person to pick out Jackson Maine as well lmao.

Oh also true story: I got THIS FUCKING CLOSE to having Bradley Cooper sign my Guardians of the Galaxy poster because I snuck into the American Sniper premiere (it was held here because the real family is from here) and he fuckin stopped right at the girl beside me and then left and I was like "Bradley!" and he turned around and said sorry that he really had to go and I swear y'all those eyes struck me right in the soul that's how blue they actually are.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

I think it depends on the people doing the spotting to be honest. Also I'm a terrible person to have this conversation with because my college roommate and her now husband would call me the IMDB robot when we would watch movies together because I can recognize everyone and tell you what it is I recognize them from. Then last night I went to my mom's to watch the NCAA final (so mad) and I heard a story I had never heard before where I found out that my dad recognized Victor Wong in a restaurant here in Dallas out of nowhere and he was so delighted by it that they got to sit down with him and have a really lovely conversation. Apparently it's a genetic thing that has now caused me to be able to spot anyone. I've also once spotted our very own Paul Scheer on the streets of Austin just as I happened to walk by him once in 2010, and that was before this podcast!

Point being, I could probably spot Eddie Vedder in a bar and I would probably be that person to pick out Jackson Maine as well lmao.

First of all, I’m not sure if Jackson Maine is Victor Wong level of fame :P 

But actually, that’s another good reason why acting is better than music. Due to it being a visual medium, I think it would be far more likely to recognize a less famous actor over a more famous musician. 

• Like 1

Was everyone's '37 version on Amazon Prime a colorized version?  It looked weird to me, like the worst Snapchat filter ever.  I wish I had seen the b&w version instead.

For me, the '37 version had too much comedy in it, sometimes at inappropriate times.  However, I did like the sassy grandma in the beginning and the trailer scene, which reminded me of The Long, Long Trailer.

• Like 1

Just now, tomspanks said:

Was everyone's '37 version on Amazon Prime a colorized version?  It looked weird to me, like the worst Snapchat filter ever.  I wish I had seen the b&w version instead.

Oh I thought it was always in color. My Amazon trivia said that it was the very first color movie to be nominated for Best Picture.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

Oh I thought it was always in color. My Amazon trivia said that it was the very first color movie to be nominated for Best Picture.

Oh weird!  When I was Googling it before watching the movie, most of the images were in B&W 🤔

2 minutes ago, tomspanks said:

Oh weird!  When I was Googling it before watching the movie, most of the images were in B&W 🤔

I'm not gonna lie.... all of my memory except for that final scene at sunrise is in b&w but that can't be possible if I remember her green dress and those red and oranges at the end...

• Like 1

I definitely prefer the Lady Gaga version over the '37 version, but imo they're so different.  My favorite pairing in the Lady Gaga version was actually the Maine brothers.  

When Sam Elliott is dropping off Jack for the last time and Jack says "it's you I idolized" and Sam Elliott looks back over his shoulder to back out of the driveway and he's trying not to break...

That really got me.  Fortunately I was in the window seat of a plane at the time and nobody saw me lol.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tomspanks said:

I definitely prefer the Lady Gaga version over the '37 version, but imo they're so different.  My favorite pairing in the Lady Gaga version was actually the Maine brothers.  

Hide contents

When Sam Elliott is dropping off Jack for the last time and Jack says "it's you I idolized" and Sam Elliott looks back over his shoulder to back out of the driveway and he's trying not to break...

That really got me.  Fortunately I was in the window seat of a plane at the time and nobody saw me lol.

FUCK SAME!!!!!!!!

God we haven't even talked about Sam Elliott holy shit.

ETA: Also

The dog sitting at the garage at the end holy fucking shit I was sobbing

• Like 2

On 4/9/2019 at 11:30 AM, tomspanks said:

Also, important question - what was in those sandwiches??

I DON’T KNOW! Lol

It looked like a hunk of liverwurst or something. But really, how do you fuck up a sandwich?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I DON’T KNOW! Lol

It looked like a hunk of liver wursts or something. But really, how do you fuck is a sandwich?

I wanna say the trailer floor steak from earlier?  

• Like 2

I took it as she was washing and fondling that giant steak in the sink of a mobile home while Norman tried to shower, which is a weird sentence to write, and something you're definitely not ever supposed to do:

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/washing-food-does-it-promote-food-safety/washing-food

Food is so important to the story lol

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I took it as she was washing and fondling that giant steak in the sink of a mobile home while Norman tried to shower, which is a weird sentence to write, and something you're definitely not ever supposed to do:

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/washing-food-does-it-promote-food-safety/washing-food

Food is so important to the story lol

Well, the steak looked like it was past well-done, into burnt territory, lol.

Also, never forget when LVP stopped Adrienne from washing her raw chicken with soap before cooking it.

4dd7b066ea0cd96ffca1b8dcb19b2fdf

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tomspanks said:

I was surprised by this too. The first time I watched it was on FilmStruck, and it was in black and white. The color version threw me off at first, and I prefer the b&w. 

1 hour ago, tomspanks said:

Well, the steak looked like it was past well-done, into burnt territory, lol.

Also, never forget when LVP stopped Adrienne from washing her raw chicken with soap before cooking it.

4dd7b066ea0cd96ffca1b8dcb19b2fdf

I don't know how to feel about the fact that I actually saw this episode. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

I don't know how to feel about the fact that I actually saw this episode. 

Did you listen to the Bitch Sesh episode with Jason Mantzoukas?  His reaction to discovering Vanderpump Rules was priceless.

On 4/10/2019 at 12:29 AM, tomspanks said:

Reveal hidden contents

I agree and I will defend the much hated Bradley Cooper voice and say that it was a choice on his part to try to sell their brotherhood. It worked for me.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2019 at 1:48 PM, tomspanks said:

Did you listen to the Bitch Sesh episode with Jason Mantzoukas?  His reaction to discovering Vanderpump Rules was priceless.

I have not, but I might seek it out. 

• Like 1

The 1954 Judy Garland version is 2 hours and 56 minutes long.  I don't know if I can do this...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tomspanks said:

The 1954 Judy Garland version is 2 hours and 56 minutes long.  I don't know if I can do this...

My mom told me she caught it on TCM recently and said she fell asleep at some point cause she was too bored.

13 minutes ago, tomspanks said:

MOVIES SHOULD BE NO MORE THAN 90 MINUTES!

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

MOVIES SHOULD BE NO MORE THAN 90 MINUTES!

A 90-minute version of Ben-Hur would be exceptionally more enjoyable. 

• Like 4