🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 211.5 - Minisode 211.5

An even creepier version of The Secret and more on this week’s mini-sode! Paul opens up the Explanation Hope Line, goes through Corrections and Omissions for The Secret, opens up the Mail Bag, and gives his Pick of the Week. Plus, find out which movie we will be watching next week!

Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson here: http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/

Check out our new website over at www.hdtgminfo.com!

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli…wdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

@PaulScheer on Instagram & Twitter

@Junediane on IG and @MsJuneDiane on Twitter

Jason is still not on Twitter

Prom night was a weird series in that the first was standard slasher fare complete with ultimate Scream Queen Jamie Lee Curtis, but then they immediately go into supernatural horror for the next two, and followed by a final film that went back to slasher territory. They had reshot this film to make it a Prom Night film as a way to hopefully recreate the success of the first film, which while wasn't a huge hit earning 14 million, was at least profitable, but this didn't even earn 3 million, and they still made two more for some reason.

• Like 2

I haven't seen Prom Night II in a while but since it was made in Canada, it was one of those movies that was on all the time on The Movie Network in the late 80s/early 90s. The title comes from an old rock and roll song by Canadian musician Ronnie Hawkins, and I feel like maybe he is IN the movie? I'm not looking this up to check.

My recollection of the film is that it wasn't very good, but it's not really a big mystery as to how it got made. The first was a surprise hit and the burgeoning home video market (and pay TV) wanted more. I'd be much more interested in an episode about a film like Pin, which was also Canadian, also on all the time, but more like a low rent Cronenberg movie than this dull ghost story.

• Like 2

Wow, someone was a real Paul Poopypants about C&O’s this week 😜

In our defense, it’s not that we’re “missing the point,” but when the insanity of a movie is essentially one note, and the hosts and their guests expertly singing that note for an hour and a half straight like a quartet of Pavarottis, it’s sometimes difficult for us come up with an interesting harmony or counter melody. We do our best with the material presented, but sometimes it’s slim pickins. 

We’ll try harder next time ;) 

• Like 5

I'm so excited for the movie this week! The MovieBitches did a retro review of it and I've been dying to see what you guys would think of it. 

So since we were talking about Clueless in last week's episode I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing an old favorite non musical movie once or twice a month? Like Musical Monday but instead we would watch a film that is a classic/ old favorite/ childhood obsession ? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gigi-tastic said:

So since we were talking about Clueless in last week's episode I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing an old favorite non musical movie once or twice a month? Like Musical Monday but instead we would watch a film that is a classic/ old favorite/ childhood obsession ? 

Musical Mondays seems to be kind of morphing in that direction anyway. Maybe it’s time it evolved?

giphy.gif

Maybe call it Forum Favorites?

• Like 3

This has nothing to do with anything in this episode, but I saw “Shazam” last night and in the convenience store robbery scene there is a F’real milkshake machine. I’d never seen one (I live in NYC and we have bodegas not gas station milkshakes) so I got excited because Nicole Byer talked about them in the Meg episode and I really wanted Shazam to get a milkshake.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Musical Mondays seems to be kind of morphing in that direction anyway. Maybe it’s time it evolved?

giphy.gif

I still love the spirit of Musical Monday but maybe we could figure out how to combine the two? 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

This has nothing to do with anything in this episode, but I saw “Shazam” last night and in the convenience store robbery scene there is a F’real milkshake machine. I’d never seen one (I live in NYC and we have bodegas not gas station milkshakes) so I got excited because Nicole Byer talked about them in the Meg episode and I really wanted Shazam to get a milkshake.

Ooh if I ever make it L.A ( I assume that's where it is)I want a gas station milkshake. Fuck going to see the Hollywood Walk .  Convenience store milkshake is where it's at! 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, gigi-tastic said:

Ooh if I ever make it L.A ( I assume that's where it is)I want a gas station milkshake. Fuck going to see the Hollywood Walk .  Convenience store milkshake is where it's at! 

Maybe you could find the Gas n' Sip from Say Anything...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

giphy.gif

We could maybe also like do slow morphs! Like this one is definitely headed in the direction of maybe not considered musicals but music plays a heavy part, so we could like focus on that too! Clueless, Pulp Fiction, Garden State, Drive, etc!

• Like 6

19 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

We could maybe also like do slow morphs! Like this one is definitely headed in the direction of maybe not considered musicals but music plays a heavy part, so we could like focus on that too! Clueless, Pulp Fiction, Garden State, Drive, etc!

we've kind of being doing that since around the time someone choose Baby Driver. I mean off and on :) I'm actually all for this

• Like 3

1 minute ago, EvRobert said:

we've kind of being doing that since around the time someone choose Baby Driver. I mean off and on :) I'm actually all for this

Me too. It opens the doors for Musical Mondays to be interpreted more broadly while still allowing for straight Musicals if that's what people want to choose.

• Like 3

Mary Lou is a badass bitch and I am once again reminded why I don't trust carousel/ rocking horses. I can't wait for the episode!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gigi-tastic said:

Mary Lou is a badass bitch and I am once again reminded why I don't trust carousel/ rocking horses. I can't wait for the episode!

Until I checked IMDb just now, I thought that they had the same actor for both 1957 Billy and 1987 Bill. I'm still not convinced they are two different people. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

Until I checked IMDb just now, I thought that they had the same actor for both 1957 Billy and 1987 Bill. I'm still not convinced they are two different people. 

....they weren't?!